Re: Ropes, climbing and geocaching (was : good news, bad news!)

  • geezo31
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
      when I first heard of geocaching, I thought the cache box sounded a
      lot like summit cans that you find on top of long alpine climbs.

      down in mexico nearly every multipitch climb has a summit can with a
      log book, a lighter, pipe and mota. although I don't partake in
      illicit drugs (especially 1300 feet off the deck) that seems to be
      the norm down there.

      however, i once discovered a "flat stanley" placed by an austin
      climber with a note attached that he was trying to make his way back
      to austin. (variation on the travel bug).

      if you decide to hone your climbing skills a couple of my friends
      run a climbing school and guide service: www.rock-about.com and
      there are a couple caches at enchanted rock if you are bored on your
      lunch break.

      also, tons of routed on the greenbelt.

      -Geezo

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
      <miner@c...> wrote:
      > Hmmm... I hadn't thought of it that way.
      > Thanks for the idea! <..insert evil laugh here..>
      > ;-)
      >
      > - Dan

    • Alex Alexander
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
        Well at least one of us is. :)

        Pretty much as a result of the fantastically friendly and helpful response
        to my enquiries on this group about what the Austin area is like to live
        in, we have decided to come over and take a look for ourselves.

        We want to look at the north of Austin with the prospect of moving over
        sometime next year. We have booked tickets to fly to Houston on the 9th
        July (its $200 cheaper than flying to Austin) and will be in Texas for just
        short of a week.

        I would hope that as well as looking at different neighbourhoods we might
        just be able to hunt some tupperware too :) . Any of you guys like to act
        as cache buddy?

        How about some kind of get-together or meet on the weekend of 12/13 July
        or will you all be partied out from the celebrations of the 4th???? (we
        let you win you know!!!)

        Cheers
        Alex (Brit) & Kim (ex-MN) - Slytherin
      • Tony Fannin
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
          --- Alex Alexander <alex.yahoogroups@...>
          wrote:

          > I would hope that as well as looking at different
          > neighbourhoods we might
          > just be able to hunt some tupperware too :) . Any
          > of you guys like to act
          > as cache buddy?

          Lots of caches in lots of neighborhoods. Caching would
          be a great way to see the city. A lot of caches are in
          greenbelts right in the middle of neighborhoods.

          > How about some kind of get-together or meet on the
          > weekend of 12/13 July
          > or will you all be partied out from the celebrations
          > of the 4th???? (we
          > let you win you know!!!)

          Texans? Partied out? You ain't from 'round these parts
          are ya? :-)

          Tony
          Team Bohica

          http://calendar.yahoo.com
        • Wayne Lind
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
            Heck, we may be able to round up some volunteers to create a virtual cache or 2 at a couple of local pubs.   :)
            > I would hope that as well as looking at different
            > neighbourhoods we might
            > just be able to hunt some tupperware too :)  .  Any
            > of you guys like to act
            > as cache buddy?

            Lots of caches in lots of neighborhoods. Caching would
            be a great way to see the city. A lot of caches are in
            greenbelts right in the middle of neighborhoods.

            > How about some kind of get-together or meet on the
            > weekend of  12/13 July
            > or will you all be partied out from the celebrations
            > of the 4th????  (we
            > let you win you know!!!)

            Texans? Partied out? You ain't from 'round these parts
            are ya? :-)

            Tony
            Team Bohica

          • Candy Lind
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
              <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
              > Well at least one of us is. :)
              >
              > Pretty much as a result of the fantastically friendly and helpful
              response
              > to my enquiries on this group about what the Austin area is like to
              live
              > in, we have decided to come over and take a look for ourselves.
              >
              > We want to look at the north of Austin with the prospect of moving
              over
              > sometime next year. We have booked tickets to fly to Houston on
              the 9th
              > July (its $200 cheaper than flying to Austin) and will be in Texas
              for just
              > short of a week.
              >
              > I would hope that as well as looking at different neighbourhoods we
              might
              > just be able to hunt some tupperware too :) . Any of you guys
              like to act
              > as cache buddy?
              >
              > How about some kind of get-together or meet on the weekend of
              12/13 July
              > or will you all be partied out from the celebrations of the
              4th???? (we
              > let you win you know!!!)
              >

              > Cheers
              > Alex (Brit) & Kim (ex-MN) - Slytherin

              I set up an event as soon as I saw your note!

              We'll work out all the details as we go and as you know more about
              your itenerary.

              Happy Trails!
              Candy
            • Mary Ann Laverty
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                Anyone interested in helping me plan a traditional cache in honor of our visitors?  I have an idea.....

                Cheers!
                Grrlfrog

                Heck, we may be able to round up some volunteers to create a virtual cache or 2 at a couple of local pubs.   :)
                > I would hope that as well as looking at different
                > neighbourhoods we might
                > just be able to hunt some tupperware too :)  .  Any
                > of you guys like to act
                > as cache buddy?

                Lots of caches in lots of neighborhoods. Caching would
                be a great way to see the city. A lot of caches are in
                greenbelts right in the middle of neighborhoods.

                > How about some kind of get-together or meet on the
                > weekend of  12/13 July
                > or will you all be partied out from the celebrations
                > of the 4th????  (we
                > let you win you know!!!)

                Texans? Partied out? You ain't from 'round these parts
                are ya? :-)

                Tony
                Team Bohica

                "A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely." - Pam Brown

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Candy Lind
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                  I'm in! I bet you have something good up your sleeve, since you started caching over there!!! ;-D

                  I'm up to talk about that other cache we discussed as well ...

                  Happy Trails,
                  Candy Lind
                  candylind@...
                  I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
                  Visit http://www.geocaching.com and see the great outdoors in a new way!

                • Megindler@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Sure!
                  • Megindler@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                      I'm liking the sound of all that!
                    • Grajek
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                        I don't think Texas ever fought you all in a war. Just the French and
                        Mexicans. Now if you came a week after March the 2nd then we might be
                        partied out. March Second is our Independence day, who has one on July
                        4th? :-)

[...]

                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Grajek
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003

                          Well If Big Mo and Candy are in I have to be.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                            You're sure you want to be around the girls that have discussed "euthanasia"?    ;o)
                          • Mary Ann Laverty

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 3, 2003
                                Cool - I will get in touch with y'all off-line for a planning session :-)

                                Grrlfrog

                                Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                                Well If Big Mo and Candy are in I have to be.

                                > I would hope that as well as looking at different
                                > neighbourhoods we might
                                > just be able to hunt some tupperware too :)  .  Any
                                > of you guys like to act
                                > as cache buddy?

                                Lots of caches in lots of neighborhoods. Caching would
                                be a great way to see the city. A lot of caches are in
                                greenbelts right in the middle of neighborhoods.

                                > How about some kind of get-together or meet on the
                                > weekend of  12/13 July
                                > or will you all be partied out fro! m the celebrations
                                > of the 4th????  (we
                                > let you win you know!!!)

                                Texans? Partied out? You ain't from 'round these parts
                                are ya? :-)

                                Tony
                                Team Bohica

                                "A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely." - Pam Brown

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                                "A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely." - Pam Brown

                                Do you Yahoo!?
                              • Dan Miner
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 3, 2003
                                  Very good. I look forward to hoisting a few pints with you.

                                  - Dan

                                • Alex Alexander
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 4, 2003
                                    At 22:46 02/06/2003, you wrote:
                                    >Anyone interested in helping me plan a traditional cache in honor of our
                                    >visitors? I have an idea.....
                                    >
                                    >Cheers!
                                    >Grrlfrog

                                    I think we would be really pleased to have a traditional cache placed in
                                    our honour. Bear in mind that I guess the temperature will be almost 100
                                    degrees and I fall into the "big guy" category, so not on top of a mountain
                                    please :))

                                    A nice tasteful drive-by, not too far from a source of amber nectar would
                                    do just fine.

                                    Cheers
                                    Alex.
                                  • Dan Miner
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 4, 2003
                                      Why only 5 stages?

                                      Let's rename ACS#1 in their honor (honour)! :-) ;-)

                                      - Dan

                                      Oh, come on, Alex! Where's your sense of adventure???? We were going to make it a five-stage multi up the 5 most scenic peaks in Central Texas!! ;-D

                                      Candy Lind

                                        Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 6:28 AM

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 4, 2003
                                          OOH, DAN! We don't want to run them COMPLETELY away!! LOL