RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Ropes, climbing and geocaching (was : good news, bad news!)

  • Dan Miner
    Message 1 of 20 , May 30 5:48 AM
      Hmmm... I hadn't thought of it that way.
      Thanks for the idea! <..insert evil laugh here..>
      ;-)

      - Dan

    • geezo31
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
        when I first heard of geocaching, I thought the cache box sounded a
        lot like summit cans that you find on top of long alpine climbs.

        down in mexico nearly every multipitch climb has a summit can with a
        log book, a lighter, pipe and mota. although I don't partake in
        illicit drugs (especially 1300 feet off the deck) that seems to be
        the norm down there.

        however, i once discovered a "flat stanley" placed by an austin
        climber with a note attached that he was trying to make his way back
        to austin. (variation on the travel bug).

        if you decide to hone your climbing skills a couple of my friends
        run a climbing school and guide service: www.rock-about.com and
        there are a couple caches at enchanted rock if you are bored on your
        lunch break.

        also, tons of routed on the greenbelt.

        -Geezo

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
        <miner@c...> wrote:
        > Hmmm... I hadn't thought of it that way.
        > Thanks for the idea! <..insert evil laugh here..>
        > ;-)
        >
        > - Dan

      • Alex Alexander
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
          Well at least one of us is. :)

          Pretty much as a result of the fantastically friendly and helpful response
          to my enquiries on this group about what the Austin area is like to live
          in, we have decided to come over and take a look for ourselves.

          We want to look at the north of Austin with the prospect of moving over
          sometime next year. We have booked tickets to fly to Houston on the 9th
          July (its $200 cheaper than flying to Austin) and will be in Texas for just
          short of a week.

          I would hope that as well as looking at different neighbourhoods we might
          just be able to hunt some tupperware too :) . Any of you guys like to act
          as cache buddy?

          How about some kind of get-together or meet on the weekend of 12/13 July
          or will you all be partied out from the celebrations of the 4th???? (we
          let you win you know!!!)

          Cheers
          Alex (Brit) & Kim (ex-MN) - Slytherin
        • Tony Fannin
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
            --- Alex Alexander <alex.yahoogroups@...>
            wrote:

            > I would hope that as well as looking at different
            > neighbourhoods we might
            > just be able to hunt some tupperware too :) . Any
            > of you guys like to act
            > as cache buddy?

            Lots of caches in lots of neighborhoods. Caching would
            be a great way to see the city. A lot of caches are in
            greenbelts right in the middle of neighborhoods.

            > How about some kind of get-together or meet on the
            > weekend of 12/13 July
            > or will you all be partied out from the celebrations
            > of the 4th???? (we
            > let you win you know!!!)

            Texans? Partied out? You ain't from 'round these parts
            are ya? :-)

            Tony
            Team Bohica

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • Wayne Lind
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
              Heck, we may be able to round up some volunteers to create a virtual cache or 2 at a couple of local pubs.   :)
              > I would hope that as well as looking at different
              > neighbourhoods we might
              > just be able to hunt some tupperware too :)  .  Any
              > of you guys like to act
              > as cache buddy?

              Lots of caches in lots of neighborhoods. Caching would
              be a great way to see the city. A lot of caches are in
              greenbelts right in the middle of neighborhoods.

              > How about some kind of get-together or meet on the
              > weekend of  12/13 July
              > or will you all be partied out from the celebrations
              > of the 4th????  (we
              > let you win you know!!!)

              Texans? Partied out? You ain't from 'round these parts
              are ya? :-)

              Tony
              Team Bohica

            • Candy Lind
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
                <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
                > Well at least one of us is. :)
                >
                > Pretty much as a result of the fantastically friendly and helpful
                response
                > to my enquiries on this group about what the Austin area is like to
                live
                > in, we have decided to come over and take a look for ourselves.
                >
                > We want to look at the north of Austin with the prospect of moving
                over
                > sometime next year. We have booked tickets to fly to Houston on
                the 9th
                > July (its $200 cheaper than flying to Austin) and will be in Texas
                for just
                > short of a week.
                >
                > I would hope that as well as looking at different neighbourhoods we
                might
                > just be able to hunt some tupperware too :) . Any of you guys
                like to act
                > as cache buddy?
                >
                > How about some kind of get-together or meet on the weekend of
                12/13 July
                > or will you all be partied out from the celebrations of the
                4th???? (we
                > let you win you know!!!)
                >

                > Cheers
                > Alex (Brit) & Kim (ex-MN) - Slytherin

                I set up an event as soon as I saw your note!

                We'll work out all the details as we go and as you know more about
                your itenerary.

                Happy Trails!
                Candy
              • Mary Ann Laverty
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Anyone interested in helping me plan a traditional cache in honor of our visitors?  I have an idea.....

                  Cheers!
                  Grrlfrog

                  Heck, we may be able to round up some volunteers to create a virtual cache or 2 at a couple of local pubs.   :)
                  > I would hope that as well as looking at different
                  > neighbourhoods we might
                  > just be able to hunt some tupperware too :)  .  Any
                  > of you guys like to act
                  > as cache buddy?

                  Lots of caches in lots of neighborhoods. Caching would
                  be a great way to see the city. A lot of caches are in
                  greenbelts right in the middle of neighborhoods.

                  > How about some kind of get-together or meet on the
                  > weekend of  12/13 July
                  > or will you all be partied out from the celebrations
                  > of the 4th????  (we
                  > let you win you know!!!)

                  Texans? Partied out? You ain't from 'round these parts
                  are ya? :-)

                  Tony
                  Team Bohica

                  "A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely." - Pam Brown

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • Candy Lind
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                    I'm in! I bet you have something good up your sleeve, since you started caching over there!!! ;-D

                    I'm up to talk about that other cache we discussed as well ...

                    Happy Trails,
                    Candy Lind
                    candylind@...
                    I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
                    Visit http://www.geocaching.com and see the great outdoors in a new way!

                  • Megindler@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Sure!
                    • Megindler@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                        I'm liking the sound of all that!
                      • Grajek
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                          I don't think Texas ever fought you all in a war. Just the French and
                          Mexicans. Now if you came a week after March the 2nd then we might be
                          partied out. March Second is our Independence day, who has one on July
                          4th? :-)

[...]

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Grajek
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003

                            Well If Big Mo and Candy are in I have to be.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 2, 2003
                              You're sure you want to be around the girls that have discussed "euthanasia"?    ;o)
                            • Mary Ann Laverty

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 3, 2003
                                  Cool - I will get in touch with y'all off-line for a planning session :-)

                                  Grrlfrog

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 3, 2003
                                    Very good. I look forward to hoisting a few pints with you.

                                    - Dan

                                  • Alex Alexander
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 4, 2003
                                      At 22:46 02/06/2003, you wrote:
                                      >Anyone interested in helping me plan a traditional cache in honor of our
                                      >visitors? I have an idea.....
                                      >
                                      >Cheers!
                                      >Grrlfrog

                                      I think we would be really pleased to have a traditional cache placed in
                                      our honour. Bear in mind that I guess the temperature will be almost 100
                                      degrees and I fall into the "big guy" category, so not on top of a mountain
                                      please :))

                                      A nice tasteful drive-by, not too far from a source of amber nectar would
                                      do just fine.

                                      Cheers
                                      Alex.
                                    • Dan Miner
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 4, 2003
                                        Why only 5 stages?

                                        Let's rename ACS#1 in their honor (honour)! :-) ;-)

                                        - Dan

                                        Oh, come on, Alex! Where's your sense of adventure???? We were going to make it a five-stage multi up the 5 most scenic peaks in Central Texas!! ;-D

                                        Candy Lind

                                          Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 6:28 AM

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 4, 2003
                                            OOH, DAN! We don't want to run them COMPLETELY away!! LOL