HELP: Garmin eTrex Vista & Mapsource

  • Dan Miner
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004
      I have a track log I just uploaded from my eTrex Vista to
      Mapsource. There are some data points in the track log that
      I want to delete (the travel from my house to the park).

      How do I edit a track log? Is there some other software I
      should be using for this? I want to create my own e-map
      of the trails for this new area.

      - Dan
    • AusGeoCache@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004
        Dan, right click on the waypoint you wish to delete, choose delete and presto it is gone.

        Cache on,
        Blizzard

        Dick Young

      • Dan Miner
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004
          This isn't a list of waypoints, it's a track log. When I right
          click on one of the points in the track log, nothing happens.

          I'm using Mapsource 4.03. Does a newer version let me edit track logs?

          - Dan

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004
            You do get some limited editing capabilities in the newer version. For
            example, you can copy and paste from two tracklogs into on. You can also
            delete segments. I would still like to have the ability to go in and move
            individual points, but so far they haven't done that.
            Wayne

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004
              Dan...

              You can use GPS Utility to edit track logs from MapSource. There is a free
              version that limits the track waypoints to something like 1000 points. GPS
              Utility has a definite learning curve though. It is available from
              http://www.gpsu.co.uk

              Scott Robuck
              Team GeoDillo
              N 30° 12.4'
              W 97° 50.4'

              I have a track log I just uploaded from my eTrex Vista to
              Mapsource. There are some data points in the track log that
              I want to delete (the travel from my house to the park).

              How do I edit a track log? Is there some other software I
              should be using for this? I want to create my own e-map
              of the trails for this new area.

              - Dan

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Grajek
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004

                Dan,

                Okay here we go. Open your Mpsource and the tracks you want to edit. Go to the tracks tab on the left hand side of the application window, should be there with  Routes, Maps, GPS and WayPoints. Then double click on the Active Log.” Once you do this you be presented with a list of “Active Log” waypoints. You can high-light the one/ones you want and they should turn blue on the map. Then right click on the waypoint in the pop up window you are looking at and select delete. This should be all there is to it. As always, make a back up of you file before you edit it. Let me know if you have any trouble and I can walk you through it on the phone if you want.

                Grajek

                On 7/6/2004 7:39:40 PM, centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                > This isn't a list of waypoints, it's a track log.  When I right

                > click on one of the points in the track log, nothing happens.

                I'm using Mapsource 4.03.  Does a newer version let me edit track logs?

                - Dan

              • Dan Miner
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004
                  Thank you to Dick, Wayne, Scott and Jeff.

                  It appears I need to get a newer version of Mapsource. (4.03)
                  I already was doing what Dick and Jeff were telling me to
                  do but I get nothing when I right click.

                  Anyone on the list have a recommended place to get a good buy on
                  the newest version? Dick mentioned version 6.1 but all I've been
                  able to find with a feeble attempt at a web serch shows version 5.
                  For example: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmms.htm
                  "GARMIN MapSource MetroGuide U.S.A. v5 (010-10468-00) $89.95"

                  - Dan

                • Scott Robuck
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004
                    MapSource updates are FREE! You can download the 6.3 update at
                    http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

                    BTW, the file format changed when they went to version 6 (from .mps to
                    .gdb). The new version will still open (and update) the old version and you
                    can "export" to the old format.

                    Be sure to also download the Topo Basemap Patch IF you have topo maps
                    installed.

                    Scott Robuck
                    Team GeoDillo
                    N 30° 12.4'
                    W 97° 50.4'

                    Thank you to Dick, Wayne, Scott and Jeff.

                    It appears I need to get a newer version of Mapsource. (4.03)
                    I already was doing what Dick and Jeff were telling me to
                    do but I get nothing when I right click.

                    Anyone on the list have a recommended place to get a good buy on
                    the newest version? Dick mentioned version 6.1 but all I've been
                    able to find with a feeble attempt at a web serch shows version 5.
                    For example: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmms.htm
                    "GARMIN MapSource MetroGuide U.S.A. v5 (010-10468-00) $89.95"

                    - Dan

                  • Scott Robuck
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004
                      BTW...the MapSource updates on Garmin's site only update the common
                      interface used by all their mapping programs. You get new features and
                      functionality. If you want updated maps, then you do have to pay to buy the
                      new software.

                      Scott Robuck
                      Team GeoDillo
                      N 30° 12.4'
                      W 97° 50.4'

                      Thank you to Dick, Wayne, Scott and Jeff.

                      It appears I need to get a newer version of Mapsource. (4.03)
                      I already was doing what Dick and Jeff were telling me to
                      do but I get nothing when I right click.

                      Anyone on the list have a recommended place to get a good buy on
                      the newest version? Dick mentioned version 6.1 but all I've been
                      able to find with a feeble attempt at a web serch shows version 5.
                      For example: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmms.htm
                      "GARMIN MapSource MetroGuide U.S.A. v5 (010-10468-00) $89.95"

                      - Dan

                    • Grajek
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 6, 2004
                        Dan this works for me on 4.09. if you want a copy of mine let me know.

                        Thank you to Dick, Wayne, Scott and Jeff.

                        It appears I need to get a newer version of Mapsource. (4.03)
                        I already was doing what Dick and Jeff were telling me to
                        do but I get nothing when I right click.

                        Anyone on the list have a recommended place to get a good buy on
                        the newest version? Dick mentioned version 6.1 but all I've been
                        able to find with a feeble attempt at a web serch shows version 5.
                        For example: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmms.htm
                        "GARMIN MapSource MetroGuide U.S.A. v5 (010-10468-00) $89.95"

                        - Dan

                      • Dan Miner
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 7, 2004
                          Ahhh... Thanks!