Re: Help with Geocache Administrators

  • web_ling
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12 4:49 PM
      The guidelines used for approving virtual and locationless caches
      have been recently tightened. I posted what I though was a clear-cut
      no problem virtual cache, only to have Erik initially deny approval.
      I emailed him more specifics than I had revealed on the cache page,
      and he finally approved it. On one of my locationless caches, I was
      asked to add some disclaimers before it was approved. Ask Erik what
      you need to do to meet the stricter guidelines, and change the cache
      page to meet them. I guess you could always change it back later,
      after it's approved ;)

      Web-ling

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "dmcgauley" <hawkeye@c...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Does anyone know the geocache administrators? I'm talking
      > with "Erik" right now who won't post one of my virtuals because he
      > doesn't think there's a way to prove a person went to the cache or
      > not. I have my typical online logging system to allow people to
      > check their answers for the virtual cache, but I don't match up
      their
      > account names on geocaching.com with their answer on my system.
      Erik
      > won't post the cache because there's no way to prove they went to
      the
      > site or not, but isn't that the truth with all the caches on
      > geocaching.com, virtual or not? The only way to prove someone went
      > to a site is to go and check the log books at each site, which I
      > don't think anyone has ever done. If anyone has contacts with the
      > administrators, can they put some pressure on them to stop this or
      > come up with a better solution?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > -Daniel McGauley
    • Daniel McGauley
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13 8:09 PM
        I think it would be nice for the geocache admins if they added a keyword
        feature to virtual cache postings, so their system will verify if a person
        found the cache or not (where we set the keyword for each virtual cache).
        It's all rather silly if you ask me. I didn't realize this was a
        competition. Oh well, I'm only a hundred behind threelanes now. :) I sent
        Erik my recommendations about the virtual cache system, but until then he's
        denied my latest cache postings. I'll have to come up with something better
        to prove somebody went to a virtual cache.

        Do you think having to post a picture of yourself at a virtual cache as a
        requirement to log it is too much to ask of cachers? Does everyone own a
        digital camera? Just an idea.

        -Daniel

      • web_ling
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16 1:04 PM
          > Do you think having to post a picture of yourself at a virtual
          cache as a requirement to log it is too much to ask of cachers?
          Does everyone own a digital camera? Just an idea.

          I've seen several that require a photo. However, I don't think it's
          fair to those who don't happen to have a digital camera.

          I think a better way to meet the requirements with a minimal amount
          of work keeping up with emails is to put something like this on the
          page:

          "Once you have the password, log your find, and email me the
          password. I reserve the right to delete any found log for which I do
          not receive an email with the correct password."

          The person can log their find without having to wait for a response
          from you. You can either check the emails against the logs, or
          completely ignore them. And I think the cache approvers will be
          happy.

          Rich Wendling
          aka Web-ling