Off Topic: Major Computer hardware genius needed to help me!?!?

  • Tanya Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2004
      Hi guys,

      I know we have some incredibly talented people on this site, so I am
      coming here for help first.

      I have 2 issues to solve.

      1. My personal Desktop PC (A Hewlitt Packard pavilion)running on
      Windows XP is about to have hard drive failure. It's just barely
      booting at times. Right now I have to push F1 to continue when
      booting. Anyways, i already have a second hard drive installed on
      it and want to move everything over to it and take the bad one out
      and put another new one in. I have copied a lot of files, but I am
      very nervous about attempting to get EVERYTHING off INTACT. Will I
      have to REINSTALL all the major programs and the operating system?
      I am afaid I may not have all the original disks. I have most, but
      maybe not 1 or 2. I have Windows XP Home Edition, but someone else
      upgraded me to Professional (he gave me a cd, but what if it doesn't
      work?)Scary. Anyways, if anyone wants to come over and help me make
      the switch over, I would greatly appreciate it! (Diver? can you
      help?)

      2. I have a PC that I have tried to put together from a good box, i
      added hard drive, cd rom, zip disk and drive, etc. It's not quite
      put together right, just maybe one connection off or a jumper cable
      that needs to be moved, but i am not that computerwize to figure it
      out. It would be easy for someone who knows how to build a computer.
      just not me. Help?

      I don't want someone who THINKS they know what they are doing, but
      someone who does! I don't want this messed up. My computer is my
      lifeline.

      Thanks so much!

      Tanya
      Gadget Girl