Re: thoughts about the archived caches

  • tlane3of6
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2002
      Candy,
      Time to calm down. This isn't the first 'run-in' with authorities
      over geocaching and it won't be the last. We need to keep a positive
      attitude about our sport and work with the park managers. If we try
      to challenge them, our spaces for hassle free caching will be quickly
      limited.

      I've left messages with Rose Farmer and will try to meet with her to
      work out a compromise. We have removed the actual caches as of
      yesterday. I'm confident that we can work something out without
      involving the entire Travis County Parks system. This isn't the only
      TCP with geocaches and we shouldn't raise the attention too quickly
      if we don't want a demand to remove all of them.

      A couple of points about these caches and this park:
      1) The geocaching sticker was place on the kiosk when they were
      empty. We expected that they wouldn't like to stay there so it was
      held in place one piece of tape and should have been very easy to
      remove.
      2) The kiosk now has a great map of the trail system that includes 6
      park rules. These rules do not specifically restrict geocaching.
      The closest is rule is about not disturbing the plants and wildlife.
      As you know, we try to place our caches close to the trails so
      limited bushwacking is needed.
      2) We talked to two different Park Rangers at the trailhead on two
      different occasions. We discussed Geocaching with each of them and
      both gave their 'permission'. Unfortunately, I didn't get it in
      writing and don't remember their names. Since they were both males,
      I'm sure neither was Rose.
      3) The trails in this park are so infrequently used, that it's over
      grown in many sections. The one thing that you don't see on these
      trails is trash. These are some of the most pristine hiking trails
      in Central Texas. We would be there for weeks and not fill one trash
      bag.

      Give me a week to meet with her and provide an update. On the other
      hand, it would be great if someone wants to do some leg work with the
      county parks department. The idea should be to research what types
      of approvals we would need if on the off chance that we might want to
      do this type of activity in a county park. This type of subject is
      exactly why this yahoo group was set up in the first place.

      Keep in mind: its not a stretch of the imagination that someone from
      a parks management department has joined this group. Please keep the
      comments positive and constructive.

      Later, Tom (threelanes)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "candy8966" <candylind@e...>
      wrote:
      > The more I think about this, the madder I get!! And what do you
      think
      > the chances of her finding those caches really is, about as good as
      > the $60 million Lotto?? ROFLOLPMP I bet three weeks from now we
      could
      > go out and they would still be there (unless Tom is the honorable
      guy
      > I think he is and removes them himself. HMMMMM, gives me an IDEA!!
      > How 'bout we all attend the "funeral" and see how much trash we can
      > take out at the same time!!??!!??!? How's that for an idea??).
      >
      > Candy
    • Tim Gahagan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2002
        If the go to the trouble to join, and spy on us, why dont they read what it
        is all about and educate themselves.

        Velvet Hammer

      • candy8966
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2002
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "tlane3of6" <tlane@e...> wrote:
          > Candy,
          > Time to calm down.

          Don't worry, Tom, I was just venting! And I'm really happy to hear
          you are trying to contact her about them. I will do anything I can to
          help our case. I'm with you, I feel like this was an isolated thing
          and that there isn't really a policy against geocaching, and that all
          we need to do is educate. If need be, I would even be willing to do
          like they do at (LCRA) McKinney Roughs, sign in to get the coords so
          they know who is caching and when (in fact I think there are some
          other areas I think that would be a great idea, too); pay a
          reasonable fee for a yearly permit; etc. as long as they are willing
          to work with us.

          > A couple of points about these caches and this park:
          > 3) The trails in this park are so infrequently used, that it's over
          > grown in many sections. The one thing that you don't see on these
          > trails is trash. These are some of the most pristine hiking trails
          > in Central Texas. We would be there for weeks and not fill one
          > trash bag.

          I agree, but as they become better known, I feel uncomfortably
          certain that we will be of some help in that regard ... The only
          place in Austin we have not found trash is Wild Basin, and I think
          that's just because of the type of place it is. Public Parks
          inevitably become unwilling hosts for surreptitious rendesvous and
          underage drinking; we picked up more than a 12-pack worth of beer
          bottles and cans and a bunch of other trash in a tiny little park
          where we placed a cache this weekend, and that was what we could
          reach safely -- more were down the cliff where we couldn't get to
          them. I guess we can always hope I'm wrong, though!

          > Give me a week to meet with her and provide an update. On
          > the other hand, it would be great if someone wants to do some
          > leg work with the county parks department. The idea should be
          > to research what types of approvals we would need if on the
          > off chance that we might want to do this type of activity in
          > a county park ...

          We'll be watching for an update! And if all you want is theoretical
          questioning to Trans. and Parks Dept., I will do that and report back
          here.

          Thanks, Tom, for all you do for the sport ... we who are still pretty
          new at it look to you "vets" for advice and guidance.

          Candy