thoughts about the archived caches

  • candy8966
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
      The more I think about this, the madder I get!! And what do you think
      the chances of her finding those caches really is, about as good as
      the $60 million Lotto?? ROFLOLPMP I bet three weeks from now we could
      go out and they would still be there (unless Tom is the honorable guy
      I think he is and removes them himself. HMMMMM, gives me an IDEA!!
      How 'bout we all attend the "funeral" and see how much trash we can
      take out at the same time!!??!!??!? How's that for an idea??).

      Candy
    • tlane3of6
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2002
        Candy,
        Time to calm down. This isn't the first 'run-in' with authorities
        over geocaching and it won't be the last. We need to keep a positive
        attitude about our sport and work with the park managers. If we try
        to challenge them, our spaces for hassle free caching will be quickly
        limited.

        I've left messages with Rose Farmer and will try to meet with her to
        work out a compromise. We have removed the actual caches as of
        yesterday. I'm confident that we can work something out without
        involving the entire Travis County Parks system. This isn't the only
        TCP with geocaches and we shouldn't raise the attention too quickly
        if we don't want a demand to remove all of them.

        A couple of points about these caches and this park:
        1) The geocaching sticker was place on the kiosk when they were
        empty. We expected that they wouldn't like to stay there so it was
        held in place one piece of tape and should have been very easy to
        remove.
        2) The kiosk now has a great map of the trail system that includes 6
        park rules. These rules do not specifically restrict geocaching.
        The closest is rule is about not disturbing the plants and wildlife.
        As you know, we try to place our caches close to the trails so
        limited bushwacking is needed.
        2) We talked to two different Park Rangers at the trailhead on two
        different occasions. We discussed Geocaching with each of them and
        both gave their 'permission'. Unfortunately, I didn't get it in
        writing and don't remember their names. Since they were both males,
        I'm sure neither was Rose.
        3) The trails in this park are so infrequently used, that it's over
        grown in many sections. The one thing that you don't see on these
        trails is trash. These are some of the most pristine hiking trails
        in Central Texas. We would be there for weeks and not fill one trash
        bag.

        Give me a week to meet with her and provide an update. On the other
        hand, it would be great if someone wants to do some leg work with the
        county parks department. The idea should be to research what types
        of approvals we would need if on the off chance that we might want to
        do this type of activity in a county park. This type of subject is
        exactly why this yahoo group was set up in the first place.

        Keep in mind: its not a stretch of the imagination that someone from
        a parks management department has joined this group. Please keep the
        comments positive and constructive.

        Later, Tom (threelanes)

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "candy8966" <candylind@e...>
        wrote:
        > The more I think about this, the madder I get!! And what do you
        think
        > the chances of her finding those caches really is, about as good as
        > the $60 million Lotto?? ROFLOLPMP I bet three weeks from now we
        could
        > go out and they would still be there (unless Tom is the honorable
        guy
        > I think he is and removes them himself. HMMMMM, gives me an IDEA!!
        > How 'bout we all attend the "funeral" and see how much trash we can
        > take out at the same time!!??!!??!? How's that for an idea??).
        >
        > Candy
      • Tim Gahagan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2002
          If the go to the trouble to join, and spy on us, why dont they read what it
          is all about and educate themselves.

          Velvet Hammer

        • candy8966
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2002
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "tlane3of6" <tlane@e...> wrote:
            > Candy,
            > Time to calm down.

            Don't worry, Tom, I was just venting! And I'm really happy to hear
            you are trying to contact her about them. I will do anything I can to
            help our case. I'm with you, I feel like this was an isolated thing
            and that there isn't really a policy against geocaching, and that all
            we need to do is educate. If need be, I would even be willing to do
            like they do at (LCRA) McKinney Roughs, sign in to get the coords so
            they know who is caching and when (in fact I think there are some
            other areas I think that would be a great idea, too); pay a
            reasonable fee for a yearly permit; etc. as long as they are willing
            to work with us.

            > A couple of points about these caches and this park:
            > 3) The trails in this park are so infrequently used, that it's over
            > grown in many sections. The one thing that you don't see on these
            > trails is trash. These are some of the most pristine hiking trails
            > in Central Texas. We would be there for weeks and not fill one
            > trash bag.

            I agree, but as they become better known, I feel uncomfortably
            certain that we will be of some help in that regard ... The only
            place in Austin we have not found trash is Wild Basin, and I think
            that's just because of the type of place it is. Public Parks
            inevitably become unwilling hosts for surreptitious rendesvous and
            underage drinking; we picked up more than a 12-pack worth of beer
            bottles and cans and a bunch of other trash in a tiny little park
            where we placed a cache this weekend, and that was what we could
            reach safely -- more were down the cliff where we couldn't get to
            them. I guess we can always hope I'm wrong, though!

            > Give me a week to meet with her and provide an update. On
            > the other hand, it would be great if someone wants to do some
            > leg work with the county parks department. The idea should be
            > to research what types of approvals we would need if on the
            > off chance that we might want to do this type of activity in
            > a county park ...

            We'll be watching for an update! And if all you want is theoretical
            questioning to Trans. and Parks Dept., I will do that and report back
            here.

            Thanks, Tom, for all you do for the sport ... we who are still pretty
            new at it look to you "vets" for advice and guidance.

            Candy