Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Etrex Legend problems?

  • Paul Holland
    Message 1 of 23 , May 5, 2004
      My Vista had screen issues (the screen went dark on me as it appeared it had lost contact with the main board)  I sent an e-mail to Garmin and they suggested that I look at the contrast, which I had already done, and since it was sporadic it was highly unlikely to be that.  They then set up a RMA and asked that I ship it back to them.  4 day's later I had what appears to be a new GPS (with my old waypoints).  All that I paid for was shipping.  I believe my Vista was slightly out of warrenty as well.

      Roger Banks <unclerojelio@...> wrote:
      Garmin has a flat rate repair policy of $120. For that they will fix
      anything and everything that ails your eTrex, including replacing it
      with the same model. I doubt you could get a 60cs out of them though. It
      took them two tries to get my Vista working again and it had the same
      problems as yours.

      -- Roger

      rtyoungster wrote:

      > Over the past few weeks my Vista has been behaving poorly, warranty
      > expired 4/5/04.   The first symptom was suddenly turning itself off
      > even in the middle of a hunt.  Then the display began to loose
      > contrast then a pattern of dark vertical lines appeared. (It has not
      > been locked in a hot car unattended.)   I've read on Texas
      > Geocaching that both Garmin and Magellan are customer friendly.  Has
      > anybody else had these problems? Perhaps they will take it in on
      > trade for a 60cs!
      > Thanks for your replies,
      > D Young aka Blizzard
      >

      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1292ji7r0/M=295196.4901138.6052515.3001176/D=groups/S=1705171288:HM/EXP=1083814201/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

      >     * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Candy Lind
      Message 2 of 23 , May 5, 2004
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rtyoungster"
        <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
        > Over the past few weeks my Vista has been behaving poorly, warranty
        > expired 4/5/04. The first symptom was suddenly turning itself off
        > even in the middle of a hunt. Then the display began to loose
        > contrast then a pattern of dark vertical lines appeared. (It has
        not
        > been locked in a hot car unattended.) I've read on Texas
        > Geocaching that both Garmin and Magellan are customer friendly.
        Has
        > anybody else had these problems? Perhaps they will take it in on
        > trade for a 60cs!
        > Thanks for your replies,
        > D Young aka Blizzard

        Dick, I would email them and give it a shot on a warranty repair. The
        ribbon cable connectors in the Etrex's stink. I actually asked for a
        return within the warranty period but didn't return it until a month
        after it expired. They still took it. And SUGGEST to them that an
        exchange program might be a way to sell a WHOLE LOT of 60CS's! LOL

        Another note: I read in an etrex mailing list that, if your click
        stick suddenly decides to act up, turning the backlight on and off
        will fix the problem. Sure enough, I tried it, and nearly every time
        the click stick starts working again!

        Candy
      • rtyoungster
        Message 3 of 23 , May 5, 2004
          Thanks to all who have responded. An email to Garmin is being
          prepared by the legal department. I'll keep you posted.

          Speaking of lawyers, perhaps there is a class action suit that
          could be could settled for 60cs for each owner of Vistas!

          Dick

          <candylind@e...> wrote:
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rtyoungster"
          > <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
          > > Over the past few weeks my Vista has been behaving poorly,
          warranty
          > > expired 4/5/04. The first symptom was suddenly turning itself
          off
          > > even in the middle of a hunt. Then the display began to loose
          > > contrast then a pattern of dark vertical lines appeared. (It has
          > not
          > > been locked in a hot car unattended.) I've read on Texas
          > > Geocaching that both Garmin and Magellan are customer friendly.
          > Has
          > > anybody else had these problems? Perhaps they will take it in on
          > > trade for a 60cs!
          > > Thanks for your replies,
          > > D Young aka Blizzard
          >
          > Dick, I would email them and give it a shot on a warranty repair.
          The
          > ribbon cable connectors in the Etrex's stink. I actually asked for
          > return within the warranty period but didn't return it until a
          month
          > after it expired. They still took it. And SUGGEST to them that an
          > exchange program might be a way to sell a WHOLE LOT of 60CS's! LOL
          >
          > Another note: I read in an etrex mailing list that, if your click
          > stick suddenly decides to act up, turning the backlight on and off
          > will fix the problem. Sure enough, I tried it, and nearly every
          time
          > the click stick starts working again!
          >
          > Candy
        • Trey Bielefeld
          Message 4 of 23 , May 5, 2004
            Like Paul, I contacted Garmin support.

            In the form I specifically requested an OUT OF WARRENTY repair (my Vista is
            over 2 years old). I listed these problems with my GPSr:

            Occasional lines in screen which were corrected by hitting the unit.
            Rubber gasket coming off.
            Gasket tearing near cable interface area (top of unit).

            In the reply email, I was informed these repairs would be covered under
            warrenty!! I didn't hesitate and had the GPSr overnighted to Garmin
            ($4.88). That was Monday (5/3/04). I'm expecting the unit back next week.

            -Trey

            > > Over the past few weeks my Vista has been behaving poorly, warranty
            > > expired 4/5/04. The first symptom was suddenly turning itself off
            > > even in the middle of a hunt. Then the display began to loose
            > > contrast then a pattern of dark vertical lines appeared. (It has
            > not
            > > been locked in a hot car unattended.) I've read on Texas
            > > Geocaching that both Garmin and Magellan are customer friendly.
            > Has
            > > anybody else had these problems? Perhaps they will take it in on
            > > trade for a 60cs!
            > > Thanks for your replies,
            > > D Young aka Blizzard
            >
            > Dick, I would email them and give it a shot on a warranty repair. The
            > ribbon cable connectors in the Etrex's stink. I actually asked for a
            > return within the warranty period but didn't return it until a month
            > after it expired. They still took it. And SUGGEST to them that an
            > exchange program might be a way to sell a WHOLE LOT of 60CS's! LOL
            >
            > Another note: I read in an etrex mailing list that, if your click
            > stick suddenly decides to act up, turning the backlight on and off
            > will fix the problem. Sure enough, I tried it, and nearly every time
            > the click stick starts working again!
            >
            > Candy
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • thediver78613
            Message 5 of 23 , May 5, 2004
              Dick,

              I know you want to 60C. Here's the justification you need. It's called
              a hammer. Just take the Vista out back and put it out of its misery.
              To the untrained eye it will look just like it went over a cliff. See
              that's all there is to it. Better yet. Mothers day is Sunday.... buy
              Ann one. She'll love it. ;D

              Alan
              aka The Diver

              <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
              > Thanks to all who have responded. An email to Garmin is being
              > prepared by the legal department. I'll keep you posted.
              >
              > Speaking of lawyers, perhaps there is a class action suit that
              > could be could settled for 60cs for each owner of Vistas!
              >
              > Dick
            • rtyoungster
              Message 6 of 23 , May 5, 2004
                Great idea! Unfortunatley, Ann heard me talking with Garmin about
                the Vista's problem. She may be on to my scheme!

                On a positive note, Garmin gave me an in warranty RMA but denied the
                request for a 60c. Thanks everyone for the advice.

                BTW, Fathers Day is a gift giving occassion if anyone might need a
                suggestion.

                Dick

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "thediver78613"

              • dbizzell50@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2004
                  Gentlemen, Take my advise, it is NOT a good idea to give your wife something you want for a Mother's Day gift. Last time I bought my wife a fishing pole for her birthday and she hasn't let me forget it yet. I couldn't help it if she didn't know how to use a casting reel. :o If your luck is anything like mine, she will love it and you will never get a chance to use it. I would hold out for a birthday, Father's Day, or Christmas. By the way, do you have a back-up for when your GPSr is in the shop? I have a few old ones laying around that you are welcome to use. I hate to see anyone suffering from geocaching withdrawal.

                  Darrell
                  txgeoham
                • AusGeoCache@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5, 2004
                    Darrell, right you are.  It's taken a while, but Mrs. Blizzard has explained the concept of gift giving enough that I know better than to give her a gift of tires for the SUV.
                    Thanks for the offer of a loaner.  I have my old 12 that worked fine until the advertisements for the Vista finally prevailed.  On second thought, our Scoutmaster's 60C may need more field testing!

                    Cache on,
                    Blizzard

                    Dick Young

                  • rtyoungster
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 17, 2004
                      Some may recall my thread a few weeks ago regarding my Vista's
                      problems. Garmin agreed without any fussing on my part to service
                      the unit under warranty. By the time I got around to shipping(5/12)
                      it off several days had gone by. This afternoon I opened a FedEx
                      with a new unit with my waypoints and a 'Sorry for your trouble,'
                      letter. I am pleased with their customer service performance.

                      Anybody want to buy a brand new Vista? Or I'll trade for a 60c.

                      Cache on, Blizzard
                    • rtyoungster
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 17, 2004
                        Gee, that's great. It's been nice talking to myself.
                        Blizzard

                        <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                        > Some may recall my thread a few weeks ago regarding my Vista's
                        > problems. Garmin agreed without any fussing on my part to service
                        > the unit under warranty. By the time I got around to shipping
                        (5/12)
                        > it off several days had gone by. This afternoon I opened a FedEx
                        > with a new unit with my waypoints and a 'Sorry for your trouble,'
                        > letter. I am pleased with their customer service performance.
                        >
                        > Anybody want to buy a brand new Vista? Or I'll trade for a 60c.
                        >
                        > Cache on, Blizzard
                      • Kevin Dytrich
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 17, 2004
                          I know how you feel. I got no response to my post either.
                          I'm glad Garmin was so nice to you. Makes me feel better about
                          ordering one.

                        • AusGeoCache@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 18, 2004
                            Kevin, Thanks for the response.
                            Hope you don's have to send your new unit in but, if you do the service is impressive.  Your 60CS should be in soon, right?

                            Cache on,
                            Blizzard

                            Dick Young

                          • Wayne Lind

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 18, 2004
                                How much would you like for the Vista? I would have written sooner,
                                but I haven't been checking the boards lately.

                                Bennu, aka Cindy

                                > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "rtyoungster"
                                > > <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                                > > > Some may recall my thread a few weeks ago regarding my Vista's
                                > > > problems. Garmin agreed without any fussing on my part to
                                service
                                > > > the unit under warranty. By the time I got around to shipping
                                > > (5/12)
                                > > > it off several days had gone by. This afternoon I opened a
                                FedEx
                                > > > with a new unit with my waypoints and a 'Sorry for your
                                trouble,'
                                > > > letter. I am pleased with their customer service
                                performance.

                                > > > Anybody want to buy a brand new Vista? Or I'll trade for a
                                60c.

                                > > > Cache on, Blizzard
                              • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 18, 2004
                                  Hey Blizzard, I had exactly the same experience as you! I got my Vista back yesterday after it being gone less than a week. It was a refurbished model, but not only did I get the antenna problem fixed, the banged up case and pitted glass was replaced too. (How will I explain all my navigational errors now that I can't blame it on the pitted glass right over the coordinates??????) All at no charge except for me to ship it off to them. And they couldn't have been nicer when I pestered them daily about the status. (The day it arrived, the day they worked on it, and the day they told me they sent it out YESTERDAY!) I will be writing to their management commending them on their OUTSTANDING customer service.

                                  I don't need a 60CS, I just got a new Vista and it manages to find caches just fine.......!

                                  <AusGeoCache@a...> wrote:
                                  > Some may recall my thread a few weeks ago regarding my Vista's
                                  > problems. Garmin agreed without any fussing on my part to service
                                  > the unit under warranty. By the time I got around to shipping
                                  (5/12)
                                  > it off several days had gone by. This afternoon I opened a FedEx
                                  > with a new unit with my waypoints and a 'Sorry for your trouble,'
                                  > letter. I am pleased with their customer service performance.
                                  >
                                  > Anybody want to buy a brand new Vista? Or I'll trade for a 60c.
                                  >
                                  > Cache on, Blizzard

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Lowracer
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 18, 2004
                                    Yeah, Garmin customer service rocks. I had a problem with the screen on my eTrex Vista a
                                    while back, and they sent me a new unit to replace it. I may try to see if they'll replace my
                                    current unit since the gasket's coming off and I won't be buying a 60CS anytime soon...

                                    I love it when a company understands the value of retaining customers by treating them
                                    right.

                                  • dbizzell50@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 18, 2004
                                      With all the positive feedback, looks like I may need to look into getting a Vista. I have three already but i do need to upgrade. HMMMMMMMMM. Interesting.

                                      txgeoham
                                    • Alex Alexander
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 18, 2004
                                        At 14:37 18/05/2004, you wrote:
                                        >Yeah, Garmin customer service rocks. I had a problem with the screen on
                                        >my eTrex Vista a
                                        >while back, and they sent me a new unit to replace it. I may try to see
                                        >if they'll replace my
                                        >current unit since the gasket's coming off and I won't be buying a 60CS
                                        >anytime soon...
                                        >
                                        >I love it when a company understands the value of retaining customers by
                                        >treating them
                                        >right.

                                        Mine Vista has a loose gasket, the rubber top is off the wibble/wobble
                                        thing which also won't go to the left either. But it's almost three years
                                        old now. Am I right that they will totally refurbish it for $59?

                                        Alex.
                                      • thediver@austingeocacher.com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 18, 2004

                                          No thanks! :) I'm about finished with my Ram Mount modifications for my SporTrak
                                          Pro so it's hard to justify a Vista or a new 60C.

                                          Alan
                                          aka The Diver
                                        • AusGeoCache@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 18, 2004
                                            In a message dated 5/18/2004 9:09:35 AM Central Daylight Time, julieperrine@... writes:
                                            I don't need a 60CS
                                            I try to never let need get in the way of WANT!

                                            Cache on,
                                            Blizzard

                                            Dick Young

                                          • Kevin Dytrich
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 18, 2004
                                              I just got an e-mail from them; they said it takes 24-48 hours to
                                              receive from Garmin and a day to drop at UPS. I'm hopefully getting
                                              it by the weekend. I'll keep y'all posted.

                                              Kevin