RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: 4th Anniversary of the 1st Geoca che Placement

  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2004
      Happy Anniversary to us! That's cool. Does anyone know Dave? Is he still caching?

      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2004
        <julieperrine@m...> wrote:
        > Happy Anniversary to us! That's cool. Does anyone know Dave? Is
        he still caching?
        > Julie

        As far as I know, Dave quit caching pretty early on. Partly because
        of concerns over the possible environmental impact of the hobby. For
        awhile he tried pushing a cache-less GPS game he called "Wonderts".
        The idea was to visit great locations without having to leave
        anything behind. The waypoint names were a coded instruction on what
        type of site it was and how to approach the location without causing
        any damage to the site. I think the whole thing puttered out though
        it might still be out there.
        Another reason you don't here much about him is that very early on he
        frequently clashed with the CEO of Groundspeak, at that time just a
        modest webmaster trying to help the sport out with his skills. The
        verbal sparring over the future of geocaching, who "owns" cache
        listings, attempts to copyright the term geocaching, etc. was heated
        enough that Dave and some of the earlier geocachers who sided with
        him become persona non grata around geocaching.com 'true believers'.
        That's just a little background. I honestly haven't heard anything
        about him in the past year or two.
      • Eoghan
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2004
          <julieperrine@m...> wrote:
          > Happy Anniversary to us! That's cool. Does anyone know Dave? Is
          he still caching?
          > Julie

          As far as I know, Dave quit caching pretty early on. Partly because
          of concerns over the possible environmental impact of the hobby. For
          awhile he tried pushing a cache-less GPS game he called "Wonderts".
          The idea was to visit great locations without having to leave
          anything behind. The waypoint names were a coded instruction on what
          type of site it was and how to approach the location without causing
          any damage to the site. I think the whole thing puttered out though
          it might still be out there.
          Another reason you don't here much about him is that very early on he
          frequently clashed with the CEO of Groundspeak, at that time just a
          modest webmaster trying to help the sport out with his skills. The
          verbal sparring over the future of geocaching, who "owns" cache
          listings, attempts to copyright the term geocaching, etc. was heated
          enough that Dave and some of the earlier geocachers who sided with
          him become persona non grata around geocaching.com 'true believers'.
          That's just a little background. I honestly haven't heard anything
          about him in the past year or two.
        • gbmorrow
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2004
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Eoghan" <eoghan@s...>
            wrote:
            >For
            > awhile he tried pushing a cache-less GPS game he called "Wonderts".
            > The idea was to visit great locations without having to leave
            > anything behind.

            sounds a lot like virtual caches....

            > Another reason you don't here much about him is that very early on
            >he
            > frequently clashed with the CEO of Groundspeak, at that time just a
            > modest webmaster trying to help the sport out with his skills. The
            > verbal sparring over the future of geocaching, who "owns" cache
            > listings, attempts to copyright the term geocaching, etc. was
            heated
            > enough that Dave and some of the earlier geocachers who sided with
            > him become persona non grata around geocaching.com 'true believers'.

            maybe this is a stretch, but perhaps this helps explain the currect
            gc stance on virtuals....maybe virtuals are 'bad' because they seem a
            little too much like 'Wonderts'......
          • Eoghan
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2004
              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gbmorrow"
              <gmorrow@b...> wrote:

              > maybe this is a stretch, but perhaps this helps explain the currect
              > gc stance on virtuals....maybe virtuals are 'bad' because they seem
              > little too much like 'Wonderts'......

              My opinion is that it's more like a continuing (and maybe
              irreconcilable) difference in opinion between those who will always
              think "We don't really need to be leaving tupperware everywhere we
              go" and those who will always think "If there isn't a log or a
              container, what's the point?" I expect the occasional battles will
              flare up interminably.

              I think Wonderts was basically still born and didn't even make it
              into the real world, but stayed on a list where they debated the best
              way to encode the information in the waypoint names.
            • Grajek
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2004
                You know I would be an environmentalist if wasn't for the Damn
                environmentalist. :-)