finding caches en route

  • Essiar
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
      Is there any easier way to find what caches are along the way
      between austin and gonzales off 183 so I can hit them on the way to
      the potluck. I realize I can select a cache, let's say in Luling,
      and then click on "all nearby caches" till the radius goes from
      Austin to Gonzales but as you know it will be bringing in caches
      from all over the place. Suggestions?
      Thanks!
    • Perrine Julie-ra5686
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
        Actually, there's not much between here and Lockhart unless you want to go after Austin caches, but if you search on my MCP for Poison Ivy Queen, you should pick up the one cache in Lockhart (Lockhart Loot), the two caches in Luling, and all the stuff in Palmetto SP in the first page of results. That's assuming you're coming down 183. Check the maps to get the Gonzales caches.

        Is there any easier way to find what caches are along the way
        between austin and gonzales off 183 so I can hit them on the way to
        the potluck. I realize I can select a cache, let's say in Luling,
        and then click on "all nearby caches" till the radius goes from
        Austin to Gonzales but as you know it will be bringing in caches
        from all over the place. Suggestions?
        Thanks!

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bryan Swain
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
          Yep, what MCP said. We went down to Gonzales a couple weeks back, and there really aren't too many caches along the way. The couple in Luling are quick park and grabs.

          I've found a few, but not all, of the caches in Palmetto SP. Quite a nice little park, even if the hiking trails are pretty short. And of course, as MCP mentions, Gonzales has a few caches itself - all virtual if I recall, except for one real cache that seems to be MIA.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@m...> wrote:
          > Actually, there's not much between here and Lockhart unless you want to go after Austin caches, but if you search on my MCP for Poison Ivy Queen, you should pick up the one cache in Lockhart (Lockhart Loot), the two caches in Luling, and all the stuff in Palmetto SP in the first page of results. That's assuming you're coming down 183. Check the maps to get the Gonzales caches.
          > Julie

        • camueller79
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2004
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar" <essiar@t...>
            wrote:
            > Is there any easier way to find what caches are along the way
            > between austin and gonzales off 183 so I can hit them on the way to
            > the potluck. I realize I can select a cache, let's say in Luling,
            > and then click on "all nearby caches" till the radius goes from
            > Austin to Gonzales but as you know it will be bringing in caches
            > from all over the place. Suggestions?
            > Thanks!

            I can't help with what's available in your route, but I can offer some
            advice on what I usually do when I am en route somewhere and want to
            check what's available cache wise. There's a map thing on the
            geocaching website at http://www.geocaching.com/map/TX.asp. I just
            zoom in or out on that thing as needed, find the roads I need to
            follow, and slowly map out my route noting which caches are near
            enough to try. It's still not a great system, but perhaps a little better.