OT: Garmin salivation, in color

  • Scott Robuck
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004

      For those of you who own Garmin GPSr’s, you may have been watching their product line and know that they have been releasing some very nice new GPSr’s.  They have released a new GPSMAP60C and 60CS (similar to the Etrex Legend and Vista) that have a full 256 color screen.  Actually the term they use is “transreflective” TFT screen.  It works so well, that the colors are just absolutely brilliant even in low light (without using any backlight)!  So far, the battery life is at least 2-3 times better than my Etrex Vista.  It is the first Garmin GPSr to be designed with a special Geocaching feature that allows you to load notes about caches, to automatically change the cache icon to found when you find it, to show you the next closest unfound cache without having to press any button….it’s just really cool.

      I think the only cachers in Austin who own one are me and Texas-Gal but I seem to remember that a couple other cachers at the last event had mentioned they were interested in them. Their retail prices are between $450 and $550 but you can find them online for between $350 and $410.  It’s a bit steep for some pocketbooks but the features are great.  They also include things like a quad-helix antenna, auto-routing with audible prompts before turns, turn-by-turn directions….too many other things to list.  Anyway, the main reason I wanted to mention all of this is that I started a yahoo support group for these GPSr’s and you might want to subscribe if you own one or are interested in buying one.  The group already has almost 300 members and is called GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS.  You can subscribe by simply sending a blank email to GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Scott Robuck

      Team GeoDillo

      N 30° 12.4'

      W 97° 50.4'

      "All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others"

      --  George Orwell, Animal Farm

    • geo_texas_gal
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        As someone who took the big leap up from an eTrex Yellow (now
        currently causing communication problems for Bryan) to a 60c, I can
        definitely say how AWESOME they are. I think every single person on
        here can attest to how awful my GPS was regarding coordinates- but
        the best thing I love about the 60c is the maps with turn by turn
        directions! I just hit "Find" - "Geocaches", select the cache I want
        (either by name, or nearest), and then my GPS tells me exactly how to
        get there. It'll beep when there's a turn you need to make coming
        up, and audibly tell you if you've overshot your mark. When you find
        the cache, you click "found" and the special Geocache icon changes.
        You can log notes about your find, too. There are TONS more features
        on there I haven't even grasped yet.

        I am hooked.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Robuck"

      • Mark Gessner
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
          OK that's the last straw. I just gotta get me a job.

          On Apr 1, 2004, at 6:08 PM, geo_texas_gal wrote:

          > As someone who took the big leap up from an eTrex Yellow (now
          > currently causing communication problems for Bryan) to a 60c, I can
          > definitely say how AWESOME they are.
        • Essiar
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
            The latest Magellan software update which was released months ago
            has turn by turn audible instructions, they've had a color screen
            out for a long time and had quad helix antenaes as long as I can
            remember. Their screen has always been larger. Less steps for most
            processes. Excellent customer service and support. I'll have to buy
            a Garmin sometime to see why everyone loves them so much even
            thought they are always a step behind.
            No hate mail please Garmin lovers, just being a bit fiesty here.
            Must be time for happy hour! :-) I'll have to see your gps Texas-
            Gal and Geos, sounds awesome.

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "geo_texas_gal"

          • geo_texas_gal
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
              I have no knowledge about Magellans whatsoever, so my gushing wasn't
              in comparison to them... just in comparison to the lowly eTrex yellow
              I'd been using. It was GREAT for a new cacher, and I found plenty of
              caches with it- but when you start trying to place caches, and people
              are getting thrown off by MORE than 75 feet? It's time for a better
              GPS. Also, I love gadgets, so it was fun to have color and little
              games and maps and stuff!

              I also recently bought a used PDA, so now with the new GPS, I'm
              completely paperless! GSAK + CacheMate = Happy Texas-Gal

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar" <essiar@t...>

            • D
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004

                Wait til Garmin releases the GPS MAP76S Color. Lots of memory, more than 60C and very easy to use. That’s the one I’m waiting for.

                Despicable D2 Ain’t it!

                <texas-gal@t...> wrote:
> [...]
                > > turn-by-turn directions….too many other things to list.  Anyway,
                > the main
                > > reason I wanted to mention all of this is that I started a yahoo
                > support
                > > group for these GPSr's and you might want to subscribe if you
                own
                > one or are
                > > interested in buying one.  The group already has almost 300
                members
                > and is
                > > called GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS.  You can subscribe by simply
                sending a
                > blank
                > > email to GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > >

                > > Scott Robuck
                > >
                > > Team GeoDillo
                > >
                > > N 30° 12.4'
                > >
                > > W 97° 50.4'
                > >

                > > "All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than

              • Essiar
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Lucky You TG! That's my next step, a palm type thing so I can go
                  paperless too.

                  <texas-gal@t...> wrote:
> [...]
                  person
                  > > on
                  > > > here can attest to how awful my GPS was regarding coordinates-
                  > but
                  > > > the best thing I love about the 60c is the maps with turn by
                  turn
                  > > > directions! I just hit "Find" - "Geocaches", select the cache
                  > > want
                  > > > (either by name, or nearest), and then my GPS tells me exactly
                  > how
                  > > > get there. It'll beep when there's a turn you need to make
                  > coming
                  > > > up, and audibly tell you if you've overshot your mark. When
                  you
                  > > find
                  > > > the cache, you click "found" and the special Geocache icon
                  > > changes.
                  > > > You can log notes about your find, too. There are TONS more

                • geo_texas_gal
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                    I got mine off eBay, and it was pretty cheap (I got a Palm m130- not
                    a PocketPC or anything), and I've never been happier. I used to
                    have to plan out everything before going caching, but going
                    paperless means that I can decide on the spur of the moment to hunt,
                    and I have everything at my fingertips. CacheMate is excellent for
                    that- but the mapping GPS is HUGE.

                    <essiar@t...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > >
                    > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar"
                    > <essiar@t...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > The latest Magellan software update which was released months
                    > ago
                    > > > has turn by turn audible instructions, they've had a color
                    > screen
                    > > > out for a long time and had quad helix antenaes as long as I
                    can
                    > > > remember. Their screen has always been larger. Less steps for
                    > most
                    > > > processes. Excellent customer service and support. I'll have
                    > buy
                    > > > a Garmin sometime to see why everyone loves them so much even
                    > > > thought they are always a step behind.
                    > > > No hate mail please Garmin lovers, just being a bit fiesty
                    here.
                    > > > Must be time for happy hour! :-) I'll have to see your gps

                  • Essiar
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                      cOOL! i THINK i SAW THESE LAST WEEk at Fry's, refurbished for $59.
                      Wasn't sure if 8 megs of memory was enough but since then someone
                      told me for caching purposes only it's plenty. Maybe I'll grab one
                      this weekend. Now if I can only figure out how to use it! :-)

                      <texas-gal@t...> wrote:
> [...]
                      > > <texas-gal@t...> wrote:
                      > > > I have no knowledge about Magellans whatsoever, so my gushing
                      > > wasn't
                      > > > in comparison to them... just in comparison to the lowly eTrex
                      > > yellow
                      > > > I'd been using. It was GREAT for a new cacher, and I found
                      > plenty
                      > > of
                      > > > caches with it- but when you start trying to place caches, and
                      > > people
                      > > > are getting thrown off by MORE than 75 feet? It's time for a
                      > > better
                      > > > GPS. Also, I love gadgets, so it was fun to have color and
                      > little
                      > > > games and maps and stuff!
                      > > >
                      > > > I also recently bought a used PDA, so now with the new GPS,
                      I'm
                      > > > completely paperless! GSAK + CacheMate = Happy Texas-Gal

                    • Joan Whistler
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
                        I can just imagine it ... in a few years (months??) we "old-timers" will be telling the new geo cachers "I remember back in the old days when I had to search out caches on my desktop computer, print out cache descriptions, and manually enter the coordinates into my GPS!  I also had to figure out what route to take to get to the nearest cache and then carry sheets of paper and pens out into the woods with me AND figure out where to turn to get to the cache!"  (Not to mention climbing 3 miles uphill both ways ... in the snow!)

                        Joan
                        "UGoGirl"

                        <team_geodillo@r...> wrote:
                        > For those of you who own Garmin GPSr's, you may have been watching
                        their
                        > product line and know that they have been releasing some very nice
                        new
                        > GPSr's.  They have released a new GPSMAP60C
                        > <http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60c/>  and 60CS
                        > <http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cs/>  (similar to the Etrex
                        Legend
                        > and Vista) that have a full 256 color screen.  Actually the term
                        they use is
                        > "transreflective" TFT screen.  It works so well, that the colors
                        are just
                        > absolutely brilliant even in low light (without using any
                        backlight)!  So
                        > far, the battery life is at least 2-3 times better than my Etrex
                        Vista.  It
                        > is the first Garmin GPSr to be designed with a special Geocaching
                        feature
                        > that allows you to load notes about caches, to automatically change
                        the
                        > cache icon to found when you find it, to show you the next closest
                        unfound
                        > cache without having to press any button....it's just really cool.
                        >

                        > I think the only cachers in Austin who own one are me and Texas-Gal
                        but I
                        > seem to remember that a couple other cachers at the last event had
                        mentioned
                        > they were interested in them. Their retail prices are between $450
                        and $550
                        > but you can find them online for between $350 and $410.  It's a bit
                        steep
                        > for some pocketbooks but the features are great.  They also include
                        things
                        > like a quad-helix antenna, auto-routing with audible prompts before
                        turns,
                        > turn-by-turn directions....too many other things to list.  Anyway,
                        the main
                        > reason I wanted to mention all of this is that I started a yahoo
                        support
                        > group for these GPSr's and you might want to subscribe if you own
                        one or are
                        > interested in buying one.  The group already has almost 300 members
                        and is
                        > called GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS.  You can subscribe by simply sending a
                        blank
                        > email to GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                        >

                        > Scott Robuck
                        >
                        > Team GeoDillo
                        >
                        > N 30° 12.4'
                        >
                        > W 97° 50.4'
                        >

                        > "All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others"
                        >
                        > --  George Orwell, Animal Farm

                      • Roger Banks
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
                          If you are planning on running out to get one of these
                          new 60cs models and need to get rid of your old GPS
                          let me know. I might just make you an offer. I'm
                          looking to add to my antique collection.

                          -- Roger

                          =====
                          Uncle Rojelio
                          Austin, TX
                        • Mark Gessner
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
                            Likewise, if anyone wants to help with my geocaching mystery novel, I
                            am having the characters use the new garmins, and I don't have one so
                            I'm afraid the quality of the work will suffer. Authenticity and all
                            that. If you do give me a brand new 60cs unit to research, I will add
                            your name to the very top of the "Acknowledgements" page at the end of
                            the book. You will also receive a signed first edition...
                            -mark