RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: eTrex and ExpertGPS

  • Scott Robuck
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
      Bryan...

      Loan the etrex to someone else who has an etrex and see if it communicates
      on their system. I have a couple of etrexes and would be happy to test it
      out on my system. I live south near Brodie and Wm Cannon. Or just bring it
      to the next event (GeoPoker?) and ask someone to bring their laptop to test
      it (I could do that too if you remind me).

      Have you asked Texas-Gal if it transferred waypoints for her?

      Scott Robuck
      Team GeoDillo
      N 30° 12.4'
      W 97° 50.4'

      This email is an all natural product. The slight variations in
      spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
      beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2004
        <bkswain@y...> wrote:
        > I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro,
        but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

        > Here's some additional info:
        > eTrex firmware 2.14
        > I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
        > ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)
        >
        > I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC
        and GPX files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm
        missing?

        Possably!
        Unless you are using a OLD version of expertGPS, there is a setting
        for which brand and model of GPS you are using.

        I have v1.3.5 and you can find the gps model settings at:
        File
        Preferences
        tab "my GPS receivers"

        then add the "Garmin / etrex"

        then try using it!

        ExpertGPS added this a few updates ago to address the different
        waypoint icons used in different GPSr's, and I tend to forget its
        there after the initial setup.

        If this does not work email for support, I have found them eager to
        solve problems with thier software.
      • Tanya Phillips
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2004
          And when you open EASY gps on your computer and click File, go to
          preferences, is your Gps listed? If not add it. I don't know if
          Expert GPS has a similar way of seeking or adding your new gps, but
          i know when i switch gps, i have to switch them in preferences too.

          tanya

          <bkswain@y...> wrote:
          > I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro,
          but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

          > Here's some additional info:
          > eTrex firmware 2.14
          > I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
          > ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)
          >
          > I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC
          and GPX files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm
          missing?
        • CaptainWhack
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2004
            I just bought my etrex about a week or so ago, and I have ExpertGPS and
            Easy[or]FreeGPS on the laptop.
            The Etrex Legend was flawless in its operation/connection on both, as far as the version of the firmware on the gps, I could swear that the reported version was 3.5 or 2.5 or something like that.
            Under preferences, I have the Etrex listed as available.
            ExpertGPS 1.3.5
            hope this helps, if you need more info I can help with, let me know, and I will get that, if I can.
            --chuck

            <bkswain@y...> wrote:
            > I'm really stuck!  ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro,
            but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

            > Here's some additional info:
            > eTrex firmware 2.14
            > I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
            > ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)
            >
            > I've tried this on two computers and neither work.  I've tried LOC
            and GPX files to no avail.  Could there be something else I'm
            missing?

            Possably!
            Unless you are using a OLD version of expertGPS, there is a setting
            for which brand and model of GPS you are using.

            I have v1.3.5 and you can find the gps model settings at:
            File
            Preferences
            tab "my GPS receivers"

            then add the "Garmin / etrex"

            then try using it!

            ExpertGPS added this a few updates ago to address the different
            waypoint icons used in different GPSr's, and I tend to forget its
            there after the initial setup.

            If this does not work email for support, I have found them eager to
            solve problems with thier software.

            Do you Yahoo!?