Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: eTrex and ExpertGPS

  • thediver@austingeocacher.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
      What firmware version number? Also, check to see if there is any PDA Hotsync
      software using the port, or matter of fact, any software running that uses the
      port. Clear all the waypoints. Try and transfer 1 waypoint before sending many.

      If your using a GPX file for the original source of the waypoints, then it could
      be the data in the file. People who "fancy" up their cache pages have been
      known to inadvertently cause gc.com to hock up a bad (non-validating) gpx
      file. That really shouldn't be the problem since the Yellow Etrex only accepts
      Waypoint, Lat and Lon.

      Alan
      aka The Diver

      Quoting Bryan Swain <bkswain@...>:

      > Anyone, anyone?
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Swain" <bkswain@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I just bought Texas-Gal's eTrex Yellow and can't seem to get it to
      > communicate with ExpertGPS. It does communicate with MS Streets & Trips, so
      > I know the cable and COM port are working fine. I set ExpertGPS to use
      > eTrex, which defaults to COM1 and 9600 baud. The eTrex is set to 'Garmin'
      > communication mode. I think this is all I should need to do, but any attempt
      > to communicate with ExpertGPS results in an "Error #22 - No data was received
      > from the GPS."
      > >
      > > Any suggestions, all you eTrex owners?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bryan Swain
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
        I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro, but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

        Here's some additional info:
        eTrex firmware 2.14
        I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
        ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)

        I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC and GPX files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm missing?

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, thediver@a... wrote:
        > What firmware version number? Also, check to see if there is any PDA Hotsync
        > software using the port, or matter of fact, any software running that uses the
        > port. Clear all the waypoints. Try and transfer 1 waypoint before sending many.
        >

        > If your using a GPX file for the original source of the waypoints, then it could
        > be the data in the file. People who "fancy" up their cache pages have been
        > known to inadvertently cause gc.com to hock up a bad (non-validating) gpx
        > file. That really shouldn't be the problem since the Yellow Etrex only accepts
        > Waypoint, Lat and Lon.
        >
        > Alan
        > aka The Diver
        >

        > Quoting Bryan Swain <bkswain@y...>:
        >
        > > Anyone, anyone?
        > >
        > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Swain" <bkswain@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Hi all,
        > > >
        > > > I just bought Texas-Gal's eTrex Yellow and can't seem to get it to
        > > communicate with ExpertGPS. It does communicate with MS Streets & Trips, so
        > > I know the cable and COM port are working fine. I set ExpertGPS to use
        > > eTrex, which defaults to COM1 and 9600 baud. The eTrex is set to 'Garmin'
        > > communication mode. I think this is all I should need to do, but any attempt
        > > to communicate with ExpertGPS results in an "Error #22 - No data was received
        > > from the GPS."
        > > >
        > > > Any suggestions, all you eTrex owners?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks!
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Scott Robuck
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
          Bryan...

          Loan the etrex to someone else who has an etrex and see if it communicates
          on their system. I have a couple of etrexes and would be happy to test it
          out on my system. I live south near Brodie and Wm Cannon. Or just bring it
          to the next event (GeoPoker?) and ask someone to bring their laptop to test
          it (I could do that too if you remind me).

          Have you asked Texas-Gal if it transferred waypoints for her?

          Scott Robuck
          Team GeoDillo
          N 30° 12.4'
          W 97° 50.4'

          This email is an all natural product. The slight variations in
          spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
          beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

          I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro, but I
          can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

          Here's some additional info:
          eTrex firmware 2.14
          I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
          ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)

          I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC and GPX
          files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm missing?

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, thediver@a... wrote:
          > What firmware version number? Also, check to see if there is any PDA
          Hotsync
          > software using the port, or matter of fact, any software running that uses
          the
          > port. Clear all the waypoints. Try and transfer 1 waypoint before sending
          many.

          > If your using a GPX file for the original source of the waypoints, then it
          could
          > be the data in the file. People who "fancy" up their cache pages have been
          > known to inadvertently cause gc.com to hock up a bad (non-validating) gpx
          > file. That really shouldn't be the problem since the Yellow Etrex only
          accepts
          > Waypoint, Lat and Lon.
          >
          > Alan
          > aka The Diver
          >

          > Quoting Bryan Swain <bkswain@y...>:
          >
          > > Anyone, anyone?
          > >
          > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Swain"
          <bkswain@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Hi all,
          > > >
          > > > I just bought Texas-Gal's eTrex Yellow and can't seem to get it to
          > > communicate with ExpertGPS. It does communicate with MS Streets &
          Trips, so
          > > I know the cable and COM port are working fine. I set ExpertGPS to use
          > > eTrex, which defaults to COM1 and 9600 baud. The eTrex is set to
          'Garmin'
          > > communication mode. I think this is all I should need to do, but any
          attempt
          > > to communicate with ExpertGPS results in an "Error #22 - No data was
          received
          > > from the GPS."
          > > >
          > > > Any suggestions, all you eTrex owners?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks!
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • DougsBrat
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2004
            <bkswain@y...> wrote:
            > I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro,
            but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

            > Here's some additional info:
            > eTrex firmware 2.14
            > I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
            > ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)
            >
            > I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC
            and GPX files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm
            missing?

            Possably!
            Unless you are using a OLD version of expertGPS, there is a setting
            for which brand and model of GPS you are using.

            I have v1.3.5 and you can find the gps model settings at:
            File
            Preferences
            tab "my GPS receivers"

            then add the "Garmin / etrex"

            then try using it!

            ExpertGPS added this a few updates ago to address the different
            waypoint icons used in different GPSr's, and I tend to forget its
            there after the initial setup.

            If this does not work email for support, I have found them eager to
            solve problems with thier software.
          • Tanya Phillips
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2004
              And when you open EASY gps on your computer and click File, go to
              preferences, is your Gps listed? If not add it. I don't know if
              Expert GPS has a similar way of seeking or adding your new gps, but
              i know when i switch gps, i have to switch them in preferences too.

              tanya

              <bkswain@y...> wrote:
              > I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro,
              but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

              > Here's some additional info:
              > eTrex firmware 2.14
              > I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
              > ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)
              >
              > I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC
              and GPX files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm
              missing?
            • CaptainWhack
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2004
                I just bought my etrex about a week or so ago, and I have ExpertGPS and
                Easy[or]FreeGPS on the laptop.
                The Etrex Legend was flawless in its operation/connection on both, as far as the version of the firmware on the gps, I could swear that the reported version was 3.5 or 2.5 or something like that.
                Under preferences, I have the Etrex listed as available.
                ExpertGPS 1.3.5
                hope this helps, if you need more info I can help with, let me know, and I will get that, if I can.
                --chuck

                <bkswain@y...> wrote:
                > I'm really stuck!  ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro,
                but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

                > Here's some additional info:
                > eTrex firmware 2.14
                > I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
                > ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)
                >
                > I've tried this on two computers and neither work.  I've tried LOC
                and GPX files to no avail.  Could there be something else I'm
                missing?

                Possably!
                Unless you are using a OLD version of expertGPS, there is a setting
                for which brand and model of GPS you are using.

                I have v1.3.5 and you can find the gps model settings at:
                File
                Preferences
                tab "my GPS receivers"

                then add the "Garmin / etrex"

                then try using it!

                ExpertGPS added this a few updates ago to address the different
                waypoint icons used in different GPSr's, and I tend to forget its
                there after the initial setup.

                If this does not work email for support, I have found them eager to
                solve problems with thier software.

                Do you Yahoo!?