Re: eTrex and ExpertGPS

  • jnjwalla
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
      We use EasyGPS with a Legend and a Vista. Check out the link on
      gc.com.

      Setting on the GPSr is Garmin.

      Verify your connection ends and make sure that they are secure.
      Sometimes the one at the GPS end comes loose.

      Verify the set up of your GPS receiver information in the software.

      JNJ

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Swain"
      <bkswain@y...> wrote:
      > Anyone, anyone?
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Swain"
      <bkswain@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I just bought Texas-Gal's eTrex Yellow and can't seem to get it
      to communicate with ExpertGPS. It does communicate with MS Streets &
      Trips, so I know the cable and COM port are working fine. I set
      ExpertGPS to use eTrex, which defaults to COM1 and 9600 baud. The
      eTrex is set to 'Garmin' communication mode. I think this is all I
      should need to do, but any attempt to communicate with ExpertGPS
      results in an "Error #22 - No data was received from the GPS."

    • thediver@austingeocacher.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
        What firmware version number? Also, check to see if there is any PDA Hotsync
        software using the port, or matter of fact, any software running that uses the
        port. Clear all the waypoints. Try and transfer 1 waypoint before sending many.

        If your using a GPX file for the original source of the waypoints, then it could
        be the data in the file. People who "fancy" up their cache pages have been
        known to inadvertently cause gc.com to hock up a bad (non-validating) gpx
        file. That really shouldn't be the problem since the Yellow Etrex only accepts
        Waypoint, Lat and Lon.

        Alan
        aka The Diver

        Quoting Bryan Swain <bkswain@...>:

        > Anyone, anyone?
        >
        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Swain" <bkswain@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I just bought Texas-Gal's eTrex Yellow and can't seem to get it to
        > communicate with ExpertGPS. It does communicate with MS Streets & Trips, so
        > I know the cable and COM port are working fine. I set ExpertGPS to use
        > eTrex, which defaults to COM1 and 9600 baud. The eTrex is set to 'Garmin'
        > communication mode. I think this is all I should need to do, but any attempt
        > to communicate with ExpertGPS results in an "Error #22 - No data was received
        > from the GPS."
        > >
        > > Any suggestions, all you eTrex owners?
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bryan Swain
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
          I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro, but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

          Here's some additional info:
          eTrex firmware 2.14
          I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
          ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)

          I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC and GPX files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm missing?

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, thediver@a... wrote:
          > What firmware version number? Also, check to see if there is any PDA Hotsync
          > software using the port, or matter of fact, any software running that uses the
          > port. Clear all the waypoints. Try and transfer 1 waypoint before sending many.
          >

          > If your using a GPX file for the original source of the waypoints, then it could
          > be the data in the file. People who "fancy" up their cache pages have been
          > known to inadvertently cause gc.com to hock up a bad (non-validating) gpx
          > file. That really shouldn't be the problem since the Yellow Etrex only accepts
          > Waypoint, Lat and Lon.
          >
          > Alan
          > aka The Diver
          >

          > Quoting Bryan Swain <bkswain@y...>:
          >
          > > Anyone, anyone?
          > >
          > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Swain" <bkswain@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Hi all,
          > > >
          > > > I just bought Texas-Gal's eTrex Yellow and can't seem to get it to
          > > communicate with ExpertGPS. It does communicate with MS Streets & Trips, so
          > > I know the cable and COM port are working fine. I set ExpertGPS to use
          > > eTrex, which defaults to COM1 and 9600 baud. The eTrex is set to 'Garmin'
          > > communication mode. I think this is all I should need to do, but any attempt
          > > to communicate with ExpertGPS results in an "Error #22 - No data was received
          > > from the GPS."
          > > >
          > > > Any suggestions, all you eTrex owners?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks!
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Scott Robuck
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
            Bryan...

            Loan the etrex to someone else who has an etrex and see if it communicates
            on their system. I have a couple of etrexes and would be happy to test it
            out on my system. I live south near Brodie and Wm Cannon. Or just bring it
            to the next event (GeoPoker?) and ask someone to bring their laptop to test
            it (I could do that too if you remind me).

            Have you asked Texas-Gal if it transferred waypoints for her?

            Scott Robuck
            Team GeoDillo
            N 30° 12.4'
            W 97° 50.4'

            This email is an all natural product. The slight variations in
            spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
            beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

            I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro, but I
            can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

            Here's some additional info:
            eTrex firmware 2.14
            I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
            ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)

            I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC and GPX
            files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm missing?

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, thediver@a... wrote:
            > What firmware version number? Also, check to see if there is any PDA
            Hotsync
            > software using the port, or matter of fact, any software running that uses
            the
            > port. Clear all the waypoints. Try and transfer 1 waypoint before sending
            many.

            > If your using a GPX file for the original source of the waypoints, then it
            could
            > be the data in the file. People who "fancy" up their cache pages have been
            > known to inadvertently cause gc.com to hock up a bad (non-validating) gpx
            > file. That really shouldn't be the problem since the Yellow Etrex only
            accepts
            > Waypoint, Lat and Lon.
            >
            > Alan
            > aka The Diver
            >

            > Quoting Bryan Swain <bkswain@y...>:
            >
            > > Anyone, anyone?
            > >
            > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Swain"
            <bkswain@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > I just bought Texas-Gal's eTrex Yellow and can't seem to get it to
            > > communicate with ExpertGPS. It does communicate with MS Streets &
            Trips, so
            > > I know the cable and COM port are working fine. I set ExpertGPS to use
            > > eTrex, which defaults to COM1 and 9600 baud. The eTrex is set to
            'Garmin'
            > > communication mode. I think this is all I should need to do, but any
            attempt
            > > to communicate with ExpertGPS results in an "Error #22 - No data was
            received
            > > from the GPS."
            > > >
            > > > Any suggestions, all you eTrex owners?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks!
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • DougsBrat
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2004
              <bkswain@y...> wrote:
              > I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro,
              but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

              > Here's some additional info:
              > eTrex firmware 2.14
              > I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
              > ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)
              >
              > I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC
              and GPX files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm
              missing?

              Possably!
              Unless you are using a OLD version of expertGPS, there is a setting
              for which brand and model of GPS you are using.

              I have v1.3.5 and you can find the gps model settings at:
              File
              Preferences
              tab "my GPS receivers"

              then add the "Garmin / etrex"

              then try using it!

              ExpertGPS added this a few updates ago to address the different
              waypoint icons used in different GPSr's, and I tend to forget its
              there after the initial setup.

              If this does not work email for support, I have found them eager to
              solve problems with thier software.
            • Tanya Phillips
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2004
                And when you open EASY gps on your computer and click File, go to
                preferences, is your Gps listed? If not add it. I don't know if
                Expert GPS has a similar way of seeking or adding your new gps, but
                i know when i switch gps, i have to switch them in preferences too.

                tanya

                <bkswain@y...> wrote:
                > I'm really stuck! ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro,
                but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

                > Here's some additional info:
                > eTrex firmware 2.14
                > I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
                > ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)
                >
                > I've tried this on two computers and neither work. I've tried LOC
                and GPX files to no avail. Could there be something else I'm
                missing?
              • CaptainWhack
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2004
                  I just bought my etrex about a week or so ago, and I have ExpertGPS and
                  Easy[or]FreeGPS on the laptop.
                  The Etrex Legend was flawless in its operation/connection on both, as far as the version of the firmware on the gps, I could swear that the reported version was 3.5 or 2.5 or something like that.
                  Under preferences, I have the Etrex listed as available.
                  ExpertGPS 1.3.5
                  hope this helps, if you need more info I can help with, let me know, and I will get that, if I can.
                  --chuck

                  <bkswain@y...> wrote:
                  > I'm really stuck!  ExpertGPS works just fine with my SporTrak Pro,
                  but I can't get the eTrex to work to save my life.

                  > Here's some additional info:
                  > eTrex firmware 2.14
                  > I/O mode set to 'Garmin'
                  > ExpertGPS set to Garmin communication mode (9600, COM1)
                  >
                  > I've tried this on two computers and neither work.  I've tried LOC
                  and GPX files to no avail.  Could there be something else I'm
                  missing?

                  Possably!
                  Unless you are using a OLD version of expertGPS, there is a setting
                  for which brand and model of GPS you are using.

                  I have v1.3.5 and you can find the gps model settings at:
                  File
                  Preferences
                  tab "my GPS receivers"

                  then add the "Garmin / etrex"

                  then try using it!

                  ExpertGPS added this a few updates ago to address the different
                  waypoint icons used in different GPSr's, and I tend to forget its
                  there after the initial setup.

                  If this does not work email for support, I have found them eager to
                  solve problems with thier software.

                  Do you Yahoo!?