Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] "Austin Challenges"

  • Trey Bielefeld
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2003
      Peeve,

      I didn't get a change to do these caches, but would have loved to.

      Here are the GC numbers, you can locate the cache pages by them:

      GC40D    Austin Challenge (4.5/2)
      GC1DAF It's Back!! Another Austin Challenge (3.5/2.5)

      It's my understanding a similar styled cache is in the works.

      I'm looking forward to it.

      Trey
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2003
        There were two Austin Challenges. The first was simply
        "Austin Challenge", the second, "Another Austin
        Challenge".

        Austin Challenge started out at Mt. Bonnell, then two
        legs in Walnut Creek Park, over to St. Ed's Park (way
        up at the to off the hill) and the to the middle of
        the motorcycle trails out at city park.

        Another Austin Challenge involved a bit more puzzle
        solving. The first clue was inside the LBJ library,
        then over to the east mall on campus to find a
        particular piece of grafitti etched into the limestone
        stairway. Next was a small cache in a park near
        campus. The next leg involved finding a particular
        book in the main libary downtown. ( I felt a little
        funny asking for help from the librarian on this one).
        This clue lead to a cache out in Bull Creek park about
        5 ft from where Roxie's is now. The next leg was in
        what is now the Balcones Canyonlands between Bull
        Creek and St. Ed's. Lastly, the final leg was in St.
        Ed's near the scenic overlook.

        AFAIK these links still work:

        -

        --- Mike Seay <MBSeay@...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone...
        >
        > If anyone would like to take a break from the Potato
        > Wars, I was
        > wondering if one of you geocaching ol' timers could
        > tell me a story I've
        > been curious about almost since day #1 of my caching
        > life...
        >
        > On the "Accidental Tourist" cache page (GCDB3C)
        > Threelanes writes:
        >
        > "The new Austin Geocachers have missed the Austin
        > Challenges originally
        > created by Roxbob and Martha. This is an attempt to
        > fill the void..."
        >
        > I think I've heard others mention the "Austin
        > Challenges" before too, in
        > a post on another cache page... one of the caches
        > along Bull Creek, or
        > in St. Ed's, perhaps? I'm curious as to what they
        > were. I tried
        > (briefly) searching to see if they still exist in
        > archived form, but had
        > no luck. With a short summer break coming up, I've
        > been trying to come
        > up with unique, creative, and challenging cache
        > ideas of my own to
        > place, and am looking for sources of inspiration.
        >
        > Would anyone care to fill a newbie in on a bit of
        > Austin Geocaching
        > history?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Mike "Peeve" Seay

        =====
        Uncle Rojelio
        Austin, TX
      • Roger Banks
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2003

          --- Mike Seay <MBSeay@...> wrote:
          > Hello everyone...
          >
          > If anyone would like to take a break from the Potato
          > Wars, I was
          > wondering if one of you geocaching ol' timers could
          > tell me a story I've
          > been curious about almost since day #1 of my caching
          > life...
          >
          > On the "Accidental Tourist" cache page (GCDB3C)
          > Threelanes writes:
          >
          > "The new Austin Geocachers have missed the Austin
          > Challenges originally
          > created by Roxbob and Martha. This is an attempt to
          > fill the void..."
          >
          > I think I've heard others mention the "Austin
          > Challenges" before too, in
          > a post on another cache page... one of the caches
          > along Bull Creek, or
          > in St. Ed's, perhaps? I'm curious as to what they
          > were. I tried
          > (briefly) searching to see if they still exist in
          > archived form, but had
          > no luck. With a short summer break coming up, I've
          > been trying to come
          > up with unique, creative, and challenging cache
          > ideas of my own to
          > place, and am looking for sources of inspiration.
          >
          > Would anyone care to fill a newbie in on a bit of
          > Austin Geocaching
          > history?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Mike "Peeve" Seay

          =====
          Uncle Rojelio
          Austin, TX
        • Candy Lind
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2003
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Roger Banks
            <unclerojelio@y...> wrote:
            > There were two Austin Challenges. The first was simply
            > "Austin Challenge", the second, "Another Austin
            > Challenge".

            Wayne and I exclaimed with great joy (well maybe that's a bit of an
            exxageration) upon seeing a log from Unclerojelio, and now to see you
            post something on CenTex Geocachers ... Is it true???? Are you
            Back??? For you "newbies", Roger is one of those smarty-pants
            computer nerds that comes up with great puzzle caches with great
            final locations WHEN he has the time to be caching and/or placing
            caches. You'll enjoy anything he cooks up! He's been awfully quiet
            for the last several months, but maybe things are slowing down at
            work so he can come back out here and entertain us.

            Happy Trails!
            Candy
          • Roger Banks
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2003
              Geez, thanks for the setup. I'll have to try to
              measure up to expectations now. :-)

              Yes, I have been sneaking away from my desk a little
              lately. Hopefully I'll be able to continue to do so.

              As far a new caches, I don't have anything planned.
              I'm considering resurrecting and relocating "It's
              Thataway". Maybe somewhere more central.

              Later,
              Roger

              --- Candy Lind <candylind@...> wrote:
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Roger
              > Banks
              > <unclerojelio@y...> wrote:
              > > There were two Austin Challenges. The first was
              > simply
              > > "Austin Challenge", the second, "Another Austin
              > > Challenge".
              >
              > Wayne and I exclaimed with great joy (well maybe
              > that's a bit of an
              > exxageration) upon seeing a log from Unclerojelio,
              > and now to see you
              > post something on CenTex Geocachers ... Is it
              > true???? Are you
              > Back??? For you "newbies", Roger is one of those
              > smarty-pants
              > computer nerds that comes up with great puzzle
              > caches with great
              > final locations WHEN he has the time to be caching
              > and/or placing
              > caches. You'll enjoy anything he cooks up! He's been
              > awfully quiet
              > for the last several months, but maybe things are
              > slowing down at
              > work so he can come back out here and entertain us.
              >
              > Happy Trails!
              > Candy

              =====
              Uncle Rojelio