Re: Charter Memberships

  • txhipowr
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2002
      Michele,

      You can view all the meesages from Central Texas Geocachers at:

      You might need to set up a free account with yahoo to get into the
      archive area.

      Lou Catozzi
      TxHiPowr

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., Michele Pain <mpain@s...> wrote:
      > I have been reluctant to join because I'm cheap/broke. But...I've
      know I
      > would since I've gotten well over $30 worth of entertainment value
      in the
      > last 2 months! Where's teh original email that all of these refer
      to?
      > Thanks
      > Michele in Austin
      > ----------
      > From: candy8966 <candylind@e...>
      > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@y...
      > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships
      > Date: Sat, May 4, 2002, 11:08 AM
      >

      > geocaching <geocaching@a...> wrote:
      > > I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the
      > internet... The geocaching.com web
      > > site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month
      > plans. It
      > > looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.
      > This
      > > would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month! ...
      > > Adamjrae and family
      > >
      > "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
      > > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
      > > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by
      T-
      > > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
      > > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
      > > ... If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
      > > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
      > > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months
      > > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested
      > > in sharing your opinions?
      >
      > My two cents is this ... I've become a Charter Member and Wayne most
      > likely will, too, on the next paycheck ... $30 a year (plus
      > tschotchkes of course) is FAR less than we pay for other
      > entertainment such as softball ($30 per 8-game series, plus balls)
      or
      > golf (anywhere from $17 to $50 a round) so we figure it is well
      worth
      > it to support the site. Plus I'm getting excercise I wasn't getting
      > and I'm not paying for some club membership ... you get my drift.
      Now
      > if I can just keep my feet under me and quit "klutzing out" on
      1-star
      > difficulty caches, I should be just fine! ;-) (you had to be at
      > Austin Geo-Hour to understand that ...)
      >
      > Candy aka Moosiegirl
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
      > var

      lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egrou
      pweb/S

      =1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical
      .com/t
      > /7428/211/2458684356"; var

      lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_
      lrec_g
      > roupsmail_0429b.swf"; var

      lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=eg
      roupwe

      b/S=1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullaccessmed
      ical.c
      > om/t/7428/211/2458684356"; var

      lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lre
      c_grou

    • stillfindingthings <stylie@maclaunch.com>
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
        > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
        > Geocaching.com?
        >
        > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
        > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
        > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
        > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
        >
        > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything. Jeremy has always
        > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true. We
        > can still do everything that we've become used to. (Although,
        > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are disabled.
        > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was. If you had a
        > chance to see "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I made
        > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
        >
        > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
        > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
        > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months. I
        > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
        >
        > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested in
        > sharing your opinions?
        >
        > Tom

        Hello All,
        Wow, I just figured out what this post was about. (I'm a little slow). I went to research caches in Minnesota for an upcoming summer trip, and I ran into a members only cache. In fact, 2 of the 4 caches I was interested in were members only.
        I have always been a strong advocate of free information on the internet and I seem to run into the "pay for", and "register for", sites more and more often. I don't think its bad, I guess, I just harken back to a time when web sites were more or less a labor of love, and information was a little more distributed across a wide variety of sites. Web sites seem to give information away for a while, then they get big, and next thing you know its get out the check book. Look at Google and how its growing, its everywhere..are there any other search engines? ;-) Anyway, I offer that a person who hides cache might cross post the location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet. Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know, I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
        One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up page is a little interesting..
        The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people to go?

        Dogger
        (Getting out his checkbook)

        P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the happy hour back at La Feria.
        P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's
      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
          Hello,
          I am new to the sport and the mailing list. I like the idea of the
          optional fees but do not like the "Members Only Caches." I will send my
          money, but as a matter of principle will not participate in the members
          only caches. I agree with Dogger Information should be free. I
          understand the need for money and even the extra little perks you can
          get with a monthly subscription to attract people (Like the Icon next to
          your name), but not Memebers Only Caches.

          Nice to meet everyone. Thanks to everyone that have taken the time to
          email me with suggestions and guidance in the new sport.

          Thanks
          Grajek

> [...]

          location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet.
          Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of
          course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being
          excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know,
          I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
          One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up
          page is a little interesting..
          The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by
          charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people
          to go?

          Dogger
          (Getting out his checkbook)

          P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the
          happy hour back at La Feria.
          P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Lou Catozzi
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
            Hi Grajek,

            Welcome aboard. Where are you based out of? I have noticed that the
            only Members Only cache within 100 miles of Austin is located in
            Hempstead, TX. It doesn't as if the local charter members (myself
            included) think much of the idea either. We really haven't had much call
            for that locally.

            Lou Catozzi
            AKA TxHiPowr