Whose been around the longest??

  • gbmorrow
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28, 2004
      I guess I've got too much time on my hands (well, really, its
      because I'm doing chores instead of something important like
      geocaching) but I started to wonder who has been around (as in
      around geocaching) the longest....I saw that Eoghan, our cousin who
      has sent run off to the wilds of Colorado, joined gc.com the day
      after Christmas 2000 (made me wonder if one of his Christmas
      presents was a gps??) and looking at what OLD Central Texas caches
      I could look up, a lot of the "old timers" seemed to have quit after
      only a few....maybe its just becauce I've been doing this for almost
      a year now that its made me wonder....
    • Lou Catozzi
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28, 2004
        I found my first cache, Demise of Dot Com, on 6/22/01. Looking at the
        earlier logs from that cache I only recognise GoHrnz, Radioop,
        Coppertone, and Austin Explorer as currently active local cachers.
        Does anyone know if ThreeLanes are still active?

        Lou AKA
        TxHiPowr

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gbmorrow"
      • AusGeoCache@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2004
          Still caching after all these years!  T and I found our first cache, Demise of a Dot Com, August 2, 01.  We hid It's Balcones Fault August 11, 01.  I stayed fairly active until that Tuesday in September then went dormant until October 02.  Since that time the obsession has grown into a gentle madness!
          Cache on,
          Blizzard AKA
          Dick Young
        • Eoghan
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
            <gmorrow@b...> wrote:
            > I guess I've got too much time on my hands (well, really, its
            > because I'm doing chores instead of something important like
            > geocaching) but I started to wonder who has been around (as in
            > around geocaching) the longest....I saw that Eoghan, our cousin who
            > has sent run off to the wilds of Colorado, joined gc.com the day
            > after Christmas 2000 (made me wonder if one of his Christmas
            > presents was a gps??) and looking at what OLD Central Texas caches
            > I could look up, a lot of the "old timers" seemed to have quit
            after
            > only a few....maybe its just becauce I've been doing this for
            almost
            > a year now that its made me wonder....

            I actually had my little eTrex GPS earlier and had really only used
            it the summer before for a backpacking trip. A friend at work who
            knew I was interested in letterboxing turned me on to an article he'd
            read about geocaching and Pumpkin Princess and I rushed out to grab
            Cen Tex Prime that weekend. We hid our first cache the next day and
            tried to be first finders whenever new caches were posted. Since then
            the caches are placed so fast and the instant access technology has
            grown so much that we've been left behind in the dust of the new Uber-
            cachers. We still like geocaching (though I like letterboxing more)
            but only occasionally go find one. Although that's starting to
            change. As spring rolls in we're getting excited about hiding a lot
            of new ones and trying to get our anemic 'found' counts up a little.
            I think Lou is right about the local geocachers. He, GoHrnz,
            Coppertone, and Austin Explorer are probably the active old-timers.

            -Eoghan
            AKA Rich
          • Robert Barron
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
              First find for Coppertone and me was Demise of a DotCom (seems to be many
              old timer's first) on 6/10/2001. Of course it was hidden by the oldest old
              timers from Austin, so to speak, Pumpkin Princess and Eoghan.

              Robert
              http://www.austinexplorer.com/
              http://www.texashiking.com/

              > I found my first cache, Demise of Dot Com, on 6/22/01. Looking at the
              > earlier logs from that cache I only recognise GoHrnz, Radioop,
              > Coppertone, and Austin Explorer as currently active local cachers.
              > Does anyone know if ThreeLanes are still active?
              >
              > Lou AKA
              > TxHiPowr
              >
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gbmorrow"
              > <gmorrow@b...> wrote:
              > > I guess I've got too much time on my hands (well, really, its
              > > because I'm doing chores instead of something important like
              > > geocaching) but I started to wonder who has been around (as in
              > > around geocaching) the longest....I saw that Eoghan, our cousin who
              > > has sent run off to the wilds of Colorado, joined gc.com the day
              > > after Christmas 2000 (made me wonder if one of his Christmas
              > > presents was a gps??) and looking at what OLD Central Texas caches
              > > I could look up, a lot of the "old timers" seemed to have quit after
              > > only a few....maybe its just becauce I've been doing this for almost
              > > a year now that its made me wonder....
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dan Miner
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
                I'm a "new-timer" (May 03, 03) but my first find was
                Demise of a Dot com also. It just happened to be the
                one my daughter's Girl Scout troop picked to try for
                their first caching trip.

                - Dan (WhiteShark)

              • Mark Gessner
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
                  Allie and I spent an inordinate amount of time (like more than a month)
                  trying to find threelanes' Central Texas Dam Series #3. We almost
                  abandoned geocaching after the second failed attempt, then we tried and
                  found Brittania Manor, then PP01 by the 'ancient ones' (Pumpkin
                  Princess and Eoghan). I think the cache guardian was what got us
                  hooked on the sport. We liked the creative angle...
                  -mark

                  On Mar 29, 2004, at 11:14 AM, Dan Miner wrote:

                  > I'm a "new-timer" (May 03, 03) but my first find was
                  > Demise of a Dot com also. It just happened to be the
                  > one my daughter's Girl Scout troop picked to try for
                  > their first caching trip.
                  >
                  > - Dan (WhiteShark)

                • Rachel
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
                    Hi everyone! Greetings from Colorado.....

                    .....This subject is making me miss Austin more than ever now!
                    Especially since I am reminded of hiding Demise of a DotCom - since
                    we lived really near there, it was walking distance AND I hid it in
                    the dark! It has since been adopted (now that we are in Colorado)
                    but I still take a lot of pride in that cache! I also was reminded
                    of the article in the Statesman that I was interviewed for - "X
                    Marks the Spot" - that weekend in Austin, geocaching exploded! I
                    can remember receiving emails from people that said they rushed to
                    buy a gps just to get started that weekend! Since then, well, you
                    all know the trend that occured!! Kudos to all in Austin that have
                    kept it alive! I applaud you newbies too for pressing on. Seems
                    like the year 2000 was YEARS ago! Miss all of you!

                    Happy caching!
                    Pumpkin Princess aka Rachel

                    ******************************

                    Dan Miner wrote:
                    >I'm a "new-timer" (May 03, 03) but my first find was Demise of a
                    Dot com also. It just happened to be the one my daughter's Girl
                    Scout troop picked to try for their first caching trip.

                    Dan (WhiteShark)

                    Rbert Barron wrote;

                    Lou Catozzi wrote:
                    >I found my first cache, Demise of Dot Com, on 6/22/01. Looking at
                    the earlier logs from that cache I only recognise GoHrnz, Radioop,
                    Coppertone, and Austin Explorer as currently active local cachers.
                    Does anyone know if ThreeLanes are still active?

                    Lou AKA
                    TxHiPowr
                  • Michele Pain
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
                      Wow-Yesterday was my 2 year anniversary! My first was at Elizabeth Ney
                      but it took 3 tries. Talk about quitting almost before you've begun.
                      Thank goodness for "It's Balcones Fault" and "Packrat Stash" or I might
                      never have continued.

                      Thanks to all who make this so fun!

                      Shelly

                      On Mar 29, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Rachel wrote:

                      > Hi everyone!  Greetings from Colorado.....
                      >
                      > .....This subject is making me miss Austin more than ever now!
                      > Especially since I am reminded of hiding Demise of a DotCom - since
                      > we lived really near there, it was walking distance AND I hid it in
                      > the dark!  It has since been adopted (now that we are in Colorado)
                      > but I still take a lot of pride in that cache!  I also was reminded
                      > of the article in the Statesman that I was interviewed for - "X
                      > Marks the Spot" - that weekend in Austin, geocaching exploded!  I
                      > can remember receiving emails from people that said they rushed to
                      > buy a gps just to get started that weekend!  Since then, well, you
                      > all know the trend that occured!!  Kudos to all in Austin that have
                      > kept it alive!  I applaud you newbies too for pressing on.  Seems
                      > like the year 2000 was YEARS ago!  Miss all of you!
                      >
                      > Happy caching!
                      > Pumpkin Princess aka Rachel
                      >
                      > ******************************
                      > Mark Gessner wrote:
                      > > Allie and I spent an inordinate amount of time (like more than a
                      > month)trying to find threelanes' Central Texas Dam Series #3.  We
                      > almost abandoned geocaching after the second failed attempt, then we
                      > tried and found Brittania Manor, then PP01 by the 'ancient ones'
                      > (Pumpkin Princess and Eoghan).  I think the cache guardian was what
                      > got us hooked on the sport.  We liked the creative angle...
                      > > -mark
                      >
                      > Dan Miner wrote:
                      > >I'm a "new-timer" (May 03, 03) but my first find was Demise of a
                      > Dot com also.  It just happened to be the one my daughter's Girl
                      > Scout troop picked to try for their first caching trip.
                      >
                      > Dan (WhiteShark)
                      >
                      > Rbert Barron wrote;
                      > >First find for Coppertone and me was Demise of a DotCom seems to be
                      > many old timer's first) on 6/10/2001.  Of course it was hidden by
                      > the oldest old timers from Austin, so to speak, Pumpkin Princess and
                      > Eoghan.
                      >
                      > Robert
                      >
                      > Lou Catozzi wrote:
                      > >I found my first cache, Demise of Dot Com, on 6/22/01.  Looking at
                      > the earlier logs from that cache I only recognise GoHrnz, Radioop,
                      > Coppertone, and Austin Explorer as currently active local cachers.
                      > Does anyone know if ThreeLanes are still active?
                      >
                      > Lou AKA
                      > TxHiPowr
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      > <image.tiff>
                      > <image.tiff>

                      > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to theYahoo! Terms of Service.

                      Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark;
                      professionals built the Titanic!
                    • Roger Banks
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 29, 2004
                        I did "Change Exchange Cash Cache" and "A Walk in the
                        Park" on 2/14/2002. "Demise", "Beneath" and "Once upon
                        a cache" were on the next day.

                        Now that Spring has sprung I guess it's time to get
                        back out there and sweep up all those unfound caches
                        y'all have been planting over the winter.

                        -- Roger

                        --- Dan Miner <miner@...> wrote:

                        ---------------------------------
                        I'm a "new-timer" (May 03, 03) but my first find was
                        Demise of a Dot com also. It just happened to be the
                        one my daughter's Girl Scout troop picked to try for
                        their first caching trip.

                        - Dan (WhiteShark)

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                        Terms of Service.