Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: a foul spud

  • Mark Gessner
    Message 1 of 21 , May 5, 2003
      As I was directly fouled in this particular out-of-bounds placement, I
      feel it necessary for me to recuse myself as a witness. Someone other
      yuppie will have to volunteer.

      On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 02:45 PM, Scott Robuck wrote:

      > Are you nominating yourself to be the visual inspector?
      >
      > Scott

      <image.tiff>

      -mark
    • Grajek
      Message 2 of 21 , May 5, 2003

        I will give Team Yuppie the Hot Potato tonight. They can re-hide just like they went out at noon tomorrow and got it. I never tried to cheat at this game and resent the implication that I did. I followed the rules and it was decided that I misinterpreted them. I am more than willing to give team Yuppie the Mr. Hot Potato travel Bug. I am not willing to be treated like I cheated knowingly. anybody that knows me knows I have much more integrity than that.. I misinterpreted the rules, which I still feel are not being applied correctly. I went out to Commons Ford Park at 4:30pm yesterday not knowing if the TB would be there or not. I guessed right and now some seem to be very petty about it. If lowracer and team yuppie want to come by and get the Spud, hold it for 48 hours and re-hide within five miles of Commons Ford I am all for it, if it will end this ridiculous thread and bantering . I just want to play the game. That’s all.

        I already emailed Scott about adding points to team yuppie to make the game a little more interesting, suggested that we  change the boarders in favor of team yuppie because I feel Team bubba has an unfair advantage because most of the caches and challenging caches are north. Or increasing the radius for team yuppie to try and even things up.

        Last night I was not ticked off about any of this, I thought it was pretty funny and I didn’t agree with the ruling nor do I still. But I figured this is just some good humored fun all and part of the game But with this thread I see that some take this more serious than me. So, call me on my cell  658 -7661 or email me and I will either give you my home coordinates or bring the Travel Bug by to you.

        Thanks

        Grajek

        <team_geodillo@r...> wrote:
        > Team Bubba has made a foul play by moving the Mr. Hot Potato Head
        more
        > than 5 miles (from the Enchanted Forest geocache to the Vaught Ranch
        > Lagoon geocache).  Points will continue to accumulate for Team
        Yuppie as
        > though the bug were still south of the river until Team Bubba moves
        it
        > back to the Enchanted Forest cache (please remember that the same
        cacher
        > cannot move it twice in a row).

      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 21 , May 5, 2003

          Insert below. And other emails like it,

          <team_geodillo@r...> wrote:
          > Team Bubba has made a foul play by moving the Mr. Hot Potato Head
          more
          > than 5 miles (from the Enchanted Forest geocache to the Vaught Ranch
          > Lagoon geocache).  Points will continue to accumulate for Team
          Yuppie as
          > though the bug were still south of the river until Team Bubba moves
          it
          > back to the Enchanted Forest cache (please remember that the same
          cacher
          > cannot move it twice in a row).

        • Mark Gessner
          Message 4 of 21 , May 5, 2003
            Wow man, sorry if you took offense! The posts I made about referee and
            photo verification were in jest...

            We're having as much fun with the taunting as with the creative hiding.

            We applaud your ingenuity in outsmarting our placement in the Enchanted
            forest. Waiting for us there near closing time was a clever move. We
            still want to know how you figured that one out, and we want to know if
            it was you and your wife and dog we saw at the waterfalls around 3PM!

            -mark
            aka 'lowracer'

            <image.tiff>

            -mark
          • Candy Lind
            Message 5 of 21 , May 5, 2003
              <team_geodillo@r...> wrote:
              > Team Bubba has made a foul play by moving the Mr. Hot Potato Head
              more than 5 miles (from the Enchanted Forest geocache to the Vaught
              Ranch Lagoon geocache).

              I just wanted to chime in that I think that Grajek is a crafty and
              cunning adversary, and that I would not on my best day have been able
              to guess where that tater was going and actually wait at the
              location. I also can't say I'm sorry you misinterpreted the distance
              rule, Jeff. We need all the help we can get at this point, and if you
              want to go moon the millionaire execs and take the spud over 5 miles
              in the process, more power to you! (I must say, with this story along
              with the marsh-wading incident at the Texas Challenge, we may have to
              make up some kind of award for Jeff exposing the most skin (not
              counting above the eyebrows, wink wink nudge nudge) while geocaching!!

              On a serious note, I don't see how we could actually use final coords
              for determining cache distance, because it would exclude anyone who
              had not already found a spud-containing cache from trying to go get
              it (the cache and/or the spud). I think we'll have to stick with
              posted coords, or just exclude multi-caches from the mix (which would
              cut out a lot of caches). Or leave 'em in ... it just makes us have
              to think a little harder. We can give suggestions to Scott for the
              next game and try to come to a consensus.

              Even though Team Yuppie at this time is in danger of losing most
              aggregiously to the Bubbas, this game is FUN and I think it is giving
              us some sense of camaraderie (no spell-checker available, folks,
              sorry!). I would like to see it continue AND be repeated. After all,
              it's the first time anyone's done this; there are bound to be a few
              kinks to iron out, right??

              Here's to a yuppie-fied, garlic mashing and re-baking of that tater!
              mmmmmmmmmmmmm goooooooooood!
              Happy Trails!
              Candy
            • Grajek
              Message 6 of 21 , May 5, 2003
                Sorry I was a little sensitive earlier. Like I have told Scott
                TeamGeoCache" and Mike "Peeve" I think Team Bubba has an unfair
                advantage. There are many more caches north than south. There are more
                cleaver/tough caches there. I would like to see a rule change on the
                boundary. After seeing that LSB #3 was in Packrat cache I hauled over
                there so I would at least have a key if you hide there. Then I plugged
                in the coordinates for Skyline and went through everyone that was south
                and within 5 miles. The 2 I saw where you had a chance to get an extra
                point was LSB and Enchanted Forest. I figured since you didn't know you
                had all the keys for LSB and Commons Ford Park was closed on Monday's I
                would head over TO CFP later, After I cut the grass. I figured that you
                might wait until the last minute to hide the cache so I took my time
                getting to it and figured if you had not been there yet I would find a
                shade tree and see if you did indeed show up while I widdled my walking
                stick. I got there around 4:30pm took my time getting to the cache and
                quietly bushwaching the last .10 of a mile so not to be seen if you
                where there. There where three cars in the parking lot and one white van
                looked familiar.
                Anyway After being very quite and taking what seemed liked hours through
                the brush and up a steep hill to the cache I found Spud man. I guessed
                right.

                That’s why I think Team bubba has an un fair advantage. I only had to go
                through a couple caches within 5 miles south because that’s all there
                was. pretty easy and 10 minutes worth of work. Team Yuppie would have a
                harder time doing that and have way to many guesses to choose from.

                I have lobbied hard to change the boundaries, or give Team Yuppie extra
                points or a larger radius.

                Me and the dog went down to the water after the cache and after 3:30 so
                I do not think it was us.

                I never went into the park after it closed I got lucky by going their
                first. I figured if you put it at LSB I could get it even in the dark,
                so biggy.

                Anyway I hope this ends the sage. I need a team yuppie player to take
                the TB form LMG/ ME.

                Wow man, sorry if you took offense! The posts I made about referee and
                photo verification were in jest...

                We're having as much fun with the taunting as with the creative hiding.

                We applaud your ingenuity in outsmarting our placement in the Enchanted
                forest. Waiting for us there near closing time was a clever move. We
                still want to know how you figured that one out, and we want to know if
                it was you and your wife and dog we saw at the waterfalls around 3PM!

                -mark
                aka 'lowracer'

                On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 06:27 PM, Grajek wrote:

                > Insert below. And other emails like it,

                <image.tiff>

                -mark

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Grajek
                Message 7 of 21 , May 5, 2003
                  Thanks Candy. See my last post. it was easy to guess because most of the
                  caches are south. I think you would have figured it pretty easy also. I
                  Also got a little lucky. Seeing that the park was closed on Monday
                  cinched it for me though. In the end it worked out real well for team
                  yuppie. The only reason I didn't go to "Britannia Manor - Skeleton Head
                  Guardian"(GC270B) 4.9 miles away from "Enchanted Forest was because I
                  blew past city park road while screwing around with my GPS. I did know
                  If the final cache at VRL was with in five mile or not but after seeing
                  I had a half mile to the next leg and the post said be prepared for a
                  two mile walk I thought I would walk to the half mile get the next
                  coordinates. And do the math. I see everyone's points and have no
                  problem giving the TB to Team Yuppie. I misinterpreted the rules, (I
                  don't agree that I did), and was penalized. That is all part of the
                  game. I really do just want to have fun with this game and geochaching.
                  I mistook certain statements as accusations of cheating and I should
                  have known better that you all would not do that. That was my fault and
                  I apologize.

                  I am still lobbying for the unfair advantage team Bubby seems to have.
                  Of course Scott and another player are not sure I am right about this.
                  Name of second player left out to protect the innocent.

                  Thanks Grajek

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 6, 2003
                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek"
                    <jgrajek@a...> wrote:
                    > Sorry I was a little sensitive earlier.

                    I should have put some smiley faces on my posts about needing a
                    witness when you replaced the bug in Enchanted Forest. I'm bad about
                    that. People have trouble even in real life telling if I'm joking,
                    they say I have a dry sense of humor. Took my wife years to catch on
                    to it.

                    > Anyway I hope this ends the sage. I need a team yuppie player to
                    take the TB form LMG/ ME.

                    I will be glad to get the bug from you. I work on Metric just north
                    of Research. Or you could drop it in some easy cache and I can snag
                    it there. How about Britannia Manor? that's on my way home. We can
                    let the refs figure out the official timing.

                    -mark
                    aka "lowracer"
                  • Candy Lind
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 6, 2003
                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Gessner"
                      <mgessner@a...> wrote:

                      I should have put some smiley faces on my posts about needing a
                      witness when you replaced the bug in Enchanted Forest. I'm bad about
                      that. People have trouble even in real life telling if I'm joking,
                      they say I have a dry sense of humor. Took my wife years to catch on
                      to it.
                      -mark
                      aka "lowracer"

                      This sounds like Wayne's boss at work -- very dry, lots of irony, and
                      we are constantly trying to decide if he's serious or if he's yanking
                      our chain again. He's interested in geocaching, and if he gets
                      active, LOOK OUT! We're in for some fun and challenging hides.

                      Candy
                    • jeff
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 6, 2003

                        I will try and get it to that cache by 5pm today. If I do I will email you that it has been placed. If not I am caching with my sister (Big Mo) tonight and she can get it over to you because she works pretty close to that area.

                        Thanks

                        Jeff Grajek

                        <jgrajek@a...> wrote:
                        > Sorry I was a little sensitive earlier.

                        I should have put some smiley faces on my posts about needing a
                        witness when you replaced the bug in Enchanted Forest.  I'm bad about
                        that.  People have trouble even in real life telling if I'm joking,
                        they say I have a dry sense of humor.  Took my wife years to catch on
                        to it.

                        > Anyway I hope this ends the sage. I need a team yuppie player to
                        take the TB form LMG/ ME.

                        I will be glad to get the bug from you.  I work on Metric just north
                        of Research.  Or you could drop it in some easy cache and I can snag
                        it there.  How about Britannia Manor? that's on my way home.  We can
                        let the refs figure out the official timing.

                        -mark
                        aka "lowracer"

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/YltolB/TM

                      • jeff
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 6, 2003
                          Okay, I left Mr. Hot Potato Head in "Britannia Manor - Skeleton Head Guardian" (GC270b).  I think -lowracer volunteered to pick it up on his way home.  If you pick it before then, I guess let -lowrace know. I don't know if he is getting these emails so if anyone knows how to contact him at the office could you confirm with him the spudster is waiting for him there.

                          Thanks
                          Grajek

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 6, 2003
                            Got the message. I'll stop and pick him up on the way home. Thanks
                            and we'll let the refs figure out the official timing for purposes of
                            resolving the 'foul,' I guess. This hot potato game, once you get
                            into it, it's addictive. Kind of like geocaching in general...

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" <jgrajek@a...>
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 6, 2003
                              Yes it is, I am ready to get playing again Thanks again for picking it up
                              and hope to see ya on the trails.
                              > Got the message. I'll stop and pick him up on the way home. Thanks
                              > and we'll let the refs figure out the official timing for purposes of
                              > resolving the 'foul,' I guess. This hot potato game, once you get
                              > into it, it's addictive. Kind of like geocaching in general...
                              >
                              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "jeff" <jgrajek@a...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Okay, I left Mr. Hot Potato Head in "Britannia Manor - Skeleton
                              > Head Guardian" (GC270b). I think -lowracer volunteered to pick it up
                              > on his way home.

                            • Grajek
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 6, 2003
                                I vote that Team Yuppie gets a free placement. -lowracer was kind enough
                                to pick up the bug on his way home, I fouled and team Yuppie was lax on
                                the return trip to EF because of my wife's ankle injury. I think they
                                should get a free placement. I think that is fair and we can get back to
                                having some fun!!!! :-)

                                Of course there are other members on my team so this is just my vote.

                                To: Team Bubba,

                                SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                I'll make it up to ya. Promise.

                                Grajek
                              • Mark Gessner
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 6, 2003
                                  I'd be OK with using Enchanted Forest as a base for the placement, that
                                  would be in line with the original referee call. Let's decide soon
                                  because this spud's SO insulting! Who programmed this thing anyway?

                                  On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 07:11 PM, Grajek wrote:

                                  > I vote that Team Yuppie gets a free placement. -lowracer was kind
                                  > enough
                                  > to pick up the bug on his way home, I fouled and team Yuppie was lax on
                                  > the return trip to EF because of my wife's ankle injury. I think they
                                  > should get a free placement. I think that is fair and we can get back
                                  > having some fun!!!! :-)
                                  >
                                  > Of course there are other members on my team so this is just my vote.
                                  >
                                  > To: Team Bubba,
                                  >

                                  > SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                  >
                                  > I'll make it up to ya. Promise.
                                  >
                                  > Grajek

                                  -mark
                                • Scott & Charlotte
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 6, 2003

                                    The following ref’s decision has been made and posted as a note on the Mr. Hot Potato Head bug page.

                                    The ref’s decision is for Mr. Hot Potato Head to be placed within 5 miles of either Enchanted Forest cache or the Britannia Manor cache. However, the current holder (Lowracer) we need to electronically log it in and out of whichever of the two caches he chooses to use as a starting point before it is logged into a new cache.  That way the distance to the new cache will be calculated properly.”

                                    Scott Robuck

                                    N 30° 12.4'

                                    W 97° 50.4'

                                    "Trying is the first step towards failure."

                                                                  -- Homer Simpson

                                    I'd be OK with using Enchanted Forest as a base for the placement, that
                                    would be in line with the original referee call.   Let's decide soon
                                    because this spud's SO insulting!  Who programmed this thing anyway?

                                    On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 07:11  PM, Grajek wrote:

                                    > I vote that Team Yuppie gets a free placement. -lowracer was kind
                                    > enough
                                    > to pick up the bug on his way home, I fouled and team Yuppie was lax on
                                    > the return trip to EF because of my wife's ankle injury. I think they
                                    > should get a free placement. I think that is fair and we can get back
                                    > having some fun!!!! :-)
                                    >
                                    > Of course there are other members on my team so this is just my vote.
                                    >
                                    > To: Team Bubba,
                                    >

                                    > SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                    >
                                    > I'll make it up to ya. Promise.
                                    >
                                    > Grajek

                                    -mark

                                  • Wayne Lind
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 6, 2003
                                      Hmmmmm, one free placement south of the river. Mexico City?   :)
                                      I vote that Team Yuppie gets a free placement. -lowracer was kind enough
                                      to pick up the bug on his way home, I fouled and team Yuppie was lax on
                                      the return trip to EF because of my wife's ankle injury. I think they
                                      should get a free placement. I think that is fair and we can get back to
                                      having some fun!!!! :-)

                                      Of course there are other members on my team so this is just my vote.

                                      To: Team Bubba,

                                      SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      I'll make it up to ya. Promise.

                                      Grajek

                                    • jeff
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 8, 2003
                                        Can't wait to see the new and improved caches lowracer as selflessly
                                        gathered up and started to work on. Can't wait for schoolhouse rocks and the
                                        mystery one. those look really easy and fun. If possible could you do the
                                        Electromagnetic Fields forever and Unreasonable search and seizure first.
                                        Unreasonable because I have not done yet and looks cool and I really like
                                        Electromagnetic because it is so cool to have a reason to be out there at
                                        night and hearing the Coyotes, and watching Choco go nuts. And, USS" looks
                                        like it might be a challenge.

                                        Anyway thanks for keeping us safe and geocaching improving in general. If
                                        you need some help with the one by the dam let me know I was thinking about
                                        adding another leg to mine down that way.

                                        Thanks
                                        Grajek