Cache Dache to Houston!

  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004

      Wayne, Candy and Trey are celebrating their second year of Geocaching by planning a 4-day cache dache to Houston.  I managed to snag the 4th seat in the cachemobile.  I just read Dan's email about things to do in Phoenix, so I thought I'd put a message out there asking anyone who has a recommendation for Houston to please let us know.  Cool caches, good restaurants, great parks to cache in, etc.

      We're planning 3 days of casual caching with some fun planned for the evenings, except for Sunday when we're going for an ALL OUT ASSAULT on our record for most caches found in one day.  None of us has cached in Houston, so it's real possible that we'll break the record in such a cache-dense place.  No peeing, no eating, no 5/5's no multi-freaking-virtuals on Sunday!!!!!  Trey's and my record currently stands at 34, and we're pretty sure we can leave that one in the dust.

      So give us your recommendations and cheer us on (or call us crazy lunatics!).  Whatever happens, you can bet there are going to be some fun stories to tell at the next event!

      Julie

      The information contained in this email and any attachments is considered:
      [ ] General Business Information
      [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
      [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

    • Mark Gessner
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
        A cacher named robertlipe did 100 in a day in Houston. You might email
        him to see if you can follow his path. Watch out for gators.

        -mark
        On Mar 24, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Perrine Julie-ra5686 wrote:

        > we're going for an ALL OUT ASSAULT on our record for most caches
        > found in one day.
      • Perrine Julie-ra5686
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
          Yowza! I was going to be happy with 50! I'll get Wayne to check this guy out.

          A cacher named robertlipe did 100 in a day in Houston. You might email
          him to see if you can follow his path. Watch out for gators.

          -mark
          On Mar 24, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Perrine Julie-ra5686 wrote:

          > we're going for an ALL OUT ASSAULT on our record for most caches
          > found in one day.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Wayne Lind
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
            100, is that all? I figured to have that many done by lunch.

            Yowza! I was going to be happy with 50! I'll get Wayne to check this guy
            out.

            A cacher named robertlipe did 100 in a day in Houston. You might email
            him to see if you can follow his path. Watch out for gators.

            -mark
            On Mar 24, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Perrine Julie-ra5686 wrote:

            > we're going for an ALL OUT ASSAULT on our record for most caches
            > found in one day.

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
              Ahhh Houston. I have quite the love-hate relationship with that
              place. I grew up there and lived there most of my life, so I know it
              well. The traffic sucks, there is a high percentage of A-holes, and
              the pollution has probably already shortened my life by a decade or
              so, but it has a lot that I miss as well. I didn't start caching
              until I got here, so I don't know much about the caching
              opportunities, but I can help on the other stuff.

              I sent a message last week about some cool caches in Sugarland...
              you should definitely check that area out. There are also some
              pretty clever micros in the area that I didn't mention that are
              worth doing.

              As far as parks go, somewhat near Sugarland is Brazos Bend State
              Park. I used to go there often in my pre-cacher days. It's a great
              park, with lots and lots of interesting wildlife. Most notably
              Alligators. BIG alligators. Particularly at this time of year. I
              used to go hiking there around this time of year specifically to
              look for gators, and I'll never forget one time. I had hiked for a
              couple of miles diligently watching for them, and was disappointed
              that I hadn't seen any. Then I looked up, and just a mere 10 feet in
              front of me was the BIGGEST freaking gator I've ever seen... bigger
              then even zoo gators. Right in the middle of the path. Staring at
              me. Needless to say, I went back the way I came. There is no danger
              there as long as you use common sense and don't bring pets, so I
              highly recommend that park. I'll bet there are some pretty decent
              caches there too. Don't mess with any "wet straw" that you see...
              that would be a nest, and Momma doesn't like you messing with the
              nests. But the rangers are pretty good at finding them and fencing
              them in so you don't have to worry about that.

              As far as food, I can go on and on. But for some reason, the South
              American places stick out first and foremost in my mind. If you
              don't mind spending a bit, check out Fogo De Chao on Westheimer near
              Hillcroft. It's all you can eat MEAT. Really really good meat. The
              waiters come by and slice it onto your plate off of these huge
              skewers. Great salad bar too. Then there is the America's series of
              restaurants. America's itself, off of Post Oak Blvd. near the
              Galleria is the flagship and is great food and amazing atmosphere,
              though it can get expensive. They also own Churrascos, which is the
              same food but a little less pricy, and a little less fancy. The best
              deal in town is Amazon, which America's also owns. It's "order at
              the counter" style southwestern food that's pretty cheap for the
              quality you get. They are big into presentation, and just LOOKING at
              the food is a lot of fun. Try the Tacones or the Fajitokit. It would
              be a good place for a quick, quality lunch if you are in the area.
              (It's in the same mall as America's) Another good quick lunch place
              would be the Cafe Express's that are scattered across town. More
              quality "fast" food. My personal favorite restaurant in Houston is
              Treebeard's, which is Cajun, but I think all of their locations are
              closed on the weekends.

              Be sure and check out downtown -- they've done a huge amount of
              development in the past couple of years and are quite proud of it. I
              haven't really been back to see it since I've moved, but I know
              there are a bunch of caches downtown. Don't get hit by the new light
              rail downtown... I've heard that's been a problem!

              I could go on and on. If you'd care to know more or have specific
              questions as you plan your trip, feel free to E-mail me directly.

              Enjoy your trip!

              Mike

              P.S. You guys aren't going for the "Krugerrand Run" are you? I was
              planning on heading to Houston Saturday for that, but it turns out
              I've got to be at a wedding here in Austin that day. Drat! I even
              spent all of last Friday learning nautical navigation and solving
              Captain J's "practice" caches. Anyway, looks like a lot of fun.

              <julieperrine@m...> wrote:
              > Wayne, Candy and Trey are celebrating their second year of
              Geocaching by planning a 4-day cache dache to Houston. I managed to
              snag the 4th seat in the cachemobile. I just read Dan's email about
              things to do in Phoenix, so I thought I'd put a message out there
              asking anyone who has a recommendation for Houston to please let us
              know. Cool caches, good restaurants, great parks to cache in, etc.

              > We're planning 3 days of casual caching with some fun planned for
              the evenings, except for Sunday when we're going for an ALL OUT
              ASSAULT on our record for most caches found in one day. None of us
              has cached in Houston, so it's real possible that we'll break the
              record in such a cache-dense place. No peeing, no eating, no 5/5's
              no multi-freaking-virtuals on Sunday!!!!! Trey's and my record
              currently stands at 34, and we're pretty sure we can leave that one
              in the dust.

              > So give us your recommendations and cheer us on (or call us crazy
              lunatics!). Whatever happens, you can bet there are going to be
              some fun stories to tell at the next event!

              > Julie
            • Perrine Julie-ra5686
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                No questions yet, but I'm having Wayne walk in front of me at Brazos Bend!!!!! And Trey, you're bringing up the rear, buddy.

                <julieperrine@m...> wrote:
                > Wayne, Candy and Trey are celebrating their second year of
                Geocaching by planning a 4-day cache dache to Houston. I managed to
                snag the 4th seat in the cachemobile. I just read Dan's email about
                things to do in Phoenix, so I thought I'd put a message out there
                asking anyone who has a recommendation for Houston to please let us
                know. Cool caches, good restaurants, great parks to cache in, etc.

                > We're planning 3 days of casual caching with some fun planned for
                the evenings, except for Sunday when we're going for an ALL OUT
                ASSAULT on our record for most caches found in one day. None of us
                has cached in Houston, so it's real possible that we'll break the
                record in such a cache-dense place. No peeing, no eating, no 5/5's
                no multi-freaking-virtuals on Sunday!!!!! Trey's and my record
                currently stands at 34, and we're pretty sure we can leave that one
                in the dust.

                > So give us your recommendations and cheer us on (or call us crazy
                lunatics!). Whatever happens, you can bet there are going to be
                some fun stories to tell at the next event!

                > Julie

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Essiar
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                  Robert Lipe is a trip. He and jogps are two dudes in Nashville that
                  have finds in the 4 digits. What's funny is that jogps has posted
                  2688 finds yet he DOESN'T post more than he does. He probably has in
                  the neighborhood of 6000 finds. Same for roberlipe. He has about
                  2200 posted but doesn't post many caches that he finds. There are
                  reasons for this that I won't go into now. robertlipe wrote some
                  software for geocaching that I know some of you use. Anyway, yes, he
                  or jogps would be good persons to contact for ANYTHING having to do
                  with geocaching or geocaching software. I'll be caching with them
                  this 4th of July at the Woodstock Event in Nashville.

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
                  <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                  > A cacher named robertlipe did 100 in a day in Houston. You might
                  email
                  > him to see if you can follow his path. Watch out for gators.
                  >
                  > -mark
                  > On Mar 24, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Perrine Julie-ra5686 wrote:
                  >
                  > > we're going for an ALL OUT ASSAULT on our record for most
                  caches
                  > > found in one day.
                • Essiar
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                    Hopefully y'all will get to do D.B. Cooper Jr. and let me know how
                    it is . I understand it's an absolute blast! Waypoint is GCGGTR.

                  • thediver@austingeocacher.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                      The software is GPSBabel. And no he didn't 100 caches in a day. It was 113 over
                      4 days.

                      Alan
                      aka The Diver

                      Quoting Essiar <essiar@...>:

                      > Robert Lipe is a trip. He and jogps are two dudes in Nashville that
                      > have finds in the 4 digits. What's funny is that jogps has posted
                      > 2688 finds yet he DOESN'T post more than he does. He probably has in
                      > the neighborhood of 6000 finds. Same for roberlipe. He has about
                      > 2200 posted but doesn't post many caches that he finds. There are
                      > reasons for this that I won't go into now. robertlipe wrote some
                      > software for geocaching that I know some of you use. Anyway, yes, he
                      > or jogps would be good persons to contact for ANYTHING having to do
                      > with geocaching or geocaching software. I'll be caching with them
                      > this 4th of July at the Woodstock Event in Nashville.
                      >
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
                      > <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                      > > A cacher named robertlipe did 100 in a day in Houston. You might
                      > email
                      > > him to see if you can follow his path. Watch out for gators.
                      > >
                      > > -mark
                      > > On Mar 24, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Perrine Julie-ra5686 wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > we're going for an ALL OUT ASSAULT on our record for most
                      > caches
                      > > > found in one day.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Aphrael
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                        WHOOOOHOOO you go get em...:) wish I could go with....:) would love to bust my 21 in a day record with that group...:)

                        Aphrael

                        Im heading to Huntsville next weekend...:) so I will do some power caching on the way

                        Perrine Julie-ra5686 <julieperrine@...> wrote:

                        Wayne, Candy and Trey are celebrating their second year of Geocaching by planning a 4-day cache dache to Houston.  I managed to snag the 4th seat in the cachemobile.  I just read Dan's email about things to do in Phoenix, so I thought I'd put a message out there asking anyone who has a recommendation for Houston to please let us know.  Cool caches, good restaurants, great parks to cache in, etc.

                        We're planning 3 days of casual caching with some fun planned for the evenings, except for Sunday when we're going for an ALL OUT ASSAULT on our record for most caches found in one day.  None of us has cached in Houston, so it's real possible that we'll break the record in such a cache-dense place.  No peeing, no eating, no 5/5's no multi-freaking-virtuals on Sunday!!!!!  Trey's and my record currently stands at 34, and we're pretty sure we can leave that one in the dust.

                        So give us your recommendations and cheer us on (or call us crazy lunatics!).  Whatever happens, you can bet there are going to be some fun stories to tell at the next event!

                        Julie

                        The information contained in this email and any attachments is considered:
                        [ ] General Business Information
                        [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
                        [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

                        > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif name=image001.gif

                        > ATTACHMENT part 3 image/gif name=image002.gif
                      • Perrine Julie-ra5686
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                          Geez, we did 81 in four days over Thanksgiving and drove over 1200 miles during those four days to do it! (Laredo to Brownsville to Corpus Christi) And attended two events to boot! Slacker.....

                          Quoting Essiar <essiar@...>:

                          > Robert Lipe is a trip. He and jogps are two dudes in Nashville that
                          > have finds in the 4 digits. What's funny is that jogps has posted
                          > 2688 finds yet he DOESN'T post more than he does. He probably has in
                          > the neighborhood of 6000 finds. Same for roberlipe. He has about
                          > 2200 posted but doesn't post many caches that he finds. There are
                          > reasons for this that I won't go into now. robertlipe wrote some
                          > software for geocaching that I know some of you use. Anyway, yes, he
                          > or jogps would be good persons to contact for ANYTHING having to do
                          > with geocaching or geocaching software. I'll be caching with them
                          > this 4th of July at the Woodstock Event in Nashville.
                          >
                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
                          > <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                          > > A cacher named robertlipe did 100 in a day in Houston. You might
                          > email
                          > > him to see if you can follow his path. Watch out for gators.
                          > >
                          > > -mark
                          > > On Mar 24, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Perrine Julie-ra5686 wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > we're going for an ALL OUT ASSAULT on our record for most
                          > caches
                          > > > found in one day.

                        • Robert Lipe
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                            <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                            > A cacher named robertlipe did 100 in a day in Houston. You might
                            email
                            > him to see if you can follow his path. Watch out for gators.

                            Hi, Gang.

                            One of my Babel-heads told me this morning there was a sighting of me
                            with a giant blue ox in this area. While it's flattering to have
                            folklore around me, the above isn't true. I did only a little over a
                            hundred in Houston and it took me a long weekend to do it.

                            The current cache density in Houston would be a serious stretch to
                            support a 100 find day. I won't say it's impossible. (I mean 100 solo
                            *finds*, not a guided tour signing logbooks.)

                            Since that trip was my only visit to TX, it's easy to follow the
                            'Detail' link to TX to see how Houston played out for me:

                            http://cachestats.made.nu/profile.asp?club_id=1&cacher_id=32733

                            Since I'm a moderately coherent writer and a decent typist, I don't
                            cut and paste logs; my Houston logs tell the story from my first find
                            after getting off the airplane GCGH1V until my final find before
                            getting back on the plane from GCD54B on days when the area was under
                            "emergency heat alert". I was fifth finder on the Magellan Treasure
                            hunt (where I ran into "The Muggles") the morning it was released.
                            GCGPXV

                            There was even a thread in the general forums where I was called on
                            the carpet for this trip:

                            http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtop
                            ic=51481&hl=robertlipe

                            The timing of this thread is interesting since just this weekend was
                            my first overnight caching trip since that Houston trip. I left
                            Nashville, hit about 2 dozen in KY and IL on the way to MO for the
                            Midwest Invitational Geocaching Competition, found 19 of the 20
                            waypoints on the competetive course (terrains up to 4 in the suburbs
                            of the Ozark Mountains...) plus 23 caches in that park before driving
                            back Sunday night. Yes, my feet were bleeding.

                            So there wasn't any superhero action going on: just a lot of planning,
                            gallons of gatorade and fresh batteries in the headlamp and a teeeny
                            little bit of overachiever-dom.
                            It's odd that my trips to Santa Cruz, Chicago, Louisville, St. Louis,
                            and New Jersey never generate as much chatter as my Houston visit.

                            I answer direct questions, so if there's something you'd like to know,
                            ask me privately as I normally don't follow this forum.

                            And since I have a feeling I'll be asked, no I've never found 100 in
                            any one day.

                            ----
                            http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net
                          • Wayne Lind
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                              Robert,
                              Thanks for the clerification and your honesty. I think that 100 caches in
                              one day in Houston is possible, but would require all 24 hours and have to
                              be completely and meticulously planned. Start at Midnight caching virtuals
                              until sun up. Then cache in the highest density areas only during the
                              daylight hours, returning to virtuals again after dark. Although we have a
                              reputation for being a little crazy, we haven't sunk to level of insanity...
                              YET.

                              Wayne

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                There you go, correcting my math again!
                                :)
                                -mark
                                On Mar 24, 2004, at 1:59 PM, thediver@... wrote:

                                > The software is GPSBabel. And no he didn't 100 caches in a day. It was
                                > 113 over
                                > 4 days.
                                >
                                > Alan
                                > aka The Diver
                                >

                                > Quoting Essiar <essiar@...>:
                                >
                                >> Robert Lipe is a trip. He and jogps are two dudes in Nashville that
                                >> have finds in the 4 digits. What's funny is that jogps has posted
                                >> 2688 finds yet he DOESN'T post more than he does. He probably has in
                                >> the neighborhood of 6000 finds. Same for roberlipe. He has about
                                >> 2200 posted but doesn't post many caches that he finds. There are
                                >> reasons for this that I won't go into now. robertlipe wrote some
                                >> software for geocaching that I know some of you use. Anyway, yes, he
                                >> or jogps would be good persons to contact for ANYTHING having to do
                                >> with geocaching or geocaching software. I'll be caching with them
                                >> this 4th of July at the Woodstock Event in Nashville.
                                >>
                                >> --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
                                >> <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                                >>> A cacher named robertlipe did 100 in a day in Houston. You might
                                >> email
                                >>> him to see if you can follow his path. Watch out for gators.
                                >>>
                                >>> -mark

                                >> caches
                                >>

                                >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Michele Pain
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                  Wayne that scenario reminds me of a Messier Marathon. It is possible,
                                  with much planning, around now as I recall, to see all 110 Messier
                                  Objects in one night. But it's really hard! There's a great book which
                                  has the order you need to look to do it.

                                  For those who aren't familiar with Messier. In the mid 1750s he started
                                  looking for comets but to distinguish comets from the "flotsam and
                                  jetsam" of the universe he had to catalog all the stuff he saw. At
                                  least everything that was not obviously a star. He discovered god only
                                  knows how many cool things but ended up with 110 objects in his
                                  catalog. So any time you hear about a celestial object that has an "M"
                                  number it's referring to Messier. ie. M42 is the Orion Nebula, M31 is
                                  the Andromeda Galaxy.

                                  Here's a web site about the marathon:
                                  http://www.messiermarathon.com/

                                  Looks like the optimum weekend for the marathon was last weekend. Maybe
                                  we'll have an event cache next year.

                                  Shelly

                                  On Mar 24, 2004, at 3:44 PM, Wayne Lind wrote:

                                  > Robert,
                                  > Thanks for the clerification and your honesty. I think that 100 caches
                                  > in
                                  > one day in Houston is possible, but would require all 24 hours and
                                  > have to
                                  > be completely and meticulously planned. Start at Midnight caching
                                  > virtuals
                                  > until sun up. Then cache in the highest density areas only during the
                                  > daylight hours, returning to virtuals again after dark. Although we
                                  > have a
                                  > reputation for being a little crazy, we haven't sunk to level of
                                  > insanity...
                                  > YET.
                                  >
                                  > Wayne

                                  Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark;
                                  professionals built the Titanic!
                                • Robert Lipe
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                    <wlind@a...> wrote:
                                    > Robert,
                                    > Thanks for the clerification and your honesty. I think that 100
                                    caches in
                                    > one day in Houston is possible, but would require all 24 hours and
                                    have to
                                    > be completely and meticulously planned. Start at Midnight caching
                                    virtuals
                                    > until sun up. Then cache in the highest density areas only during the
                                    > daylight hours, returning to virtuals again after dark. Although we
                                    have a

                                    That's a common fallacy, but the reality is that every minute you're
                                    in the car is a minute you aren't logging a cache. (See also: insane
                                    metrics about caches per hour...)

                                    Within a 35 mile radius of Houston there are 42 virtuals. Without
                                    over-analyzing it (who, me? :-) it appears the shortest distance
                                    between those 42 points is 244.4 miles and the estimated drive time is
                                    7 hours 56 minutes. During that time you will drive by physicals and
                                    you will take roads you're guaranteed to be on again later in the day.
                                    You can surely pare distance and time down by eliding "loners" For
                                    example, at a glance dropping "Any Day" and "First into the Fire"
                                    could probably shave about 40 miles off of that drive. There are
                                    enough urban caches that in virgin territory you can usually do just
                                    fine in the dark if you're smart about the lighting you carry. (LED
                                    lamp: good; 2 million candlepower floodlight while wearing a ski mask:
                                    bad.)

                                    Your time in the dark is better spent on "pockets" in areas you can
                                    get to without endangering yourself or tresspassing and not navigating
                                    around. Personally, I'd rather sleep at least a few hours and reduce
                                    the redundant drive time.
                                  • Mark Gessner
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                      And don't forget M13 out in Lakeway...
                                      -mark
                                      On Mar 24, 2004, at 4:41 PM, Michele Pain wrote:

                                      > So any time you hear about a celestial object that has an "M" number
                                      > it's referring to Messier. ie. M42 is the Orion Nebula, M31 is the
                                      > Andromeda Galaxy.
                                    • Michele Pain
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                        How could I forget! Thanks for jogging my memory.

                                        That makes 111 Messier objects.

                                        Wow

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                          Steve,
                                          That is one on our list, (of course our list contains 420 caches) and I have
                                          heard nothing but good things about it. Thanks for reminding me.
                                          Wayne

                                          <julieperrine@m...> wrote:
                                          > No questions yet, but I'm having Wayne walk in front of me at
                                          Brazos Bend!!!!! And Trey, you're bringing up the rear, buddy.
                                          > Julie

                                        • Wayne Lind
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                            Robert,
                                            You are probably right about that. When we cached Fort Worth, we found a
                                            large number of virtuals in the downtown area. I sort of expected the same
                                            in Houston. To be honest, since our ambitions are more modest then 100, I
                                            have not even looked at the virtuals to see where they are. At some point, I
                                            will toss them into our master file and see where they end up. It may be
                                            more efficient to pick them up as we pass them on the way to other caches.
                                            Our main goal is to have fun, Wwe usually manage that without too much
                                            difficulty.

                                            Thanks again,
                                            Wayne

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 24, 2004
                                              <wlind@a...> wrote:
                                              > Robert,
                                              > You are probably right about that. When we cached Fort Worth, we
                                              found a
                                              > large number of virtuals in the downtown area. I sort of expected
                                              the same
                                              > in Houston.

                                              I remember studying FTW and it did have a high number of virts per
                                              square mile. It's too late to whip out another of my caches/square
                                              mile analyses. :-) but while I once worked for a company HQ'ed in
                                              DFW, I recalled that my free Southwest ticket wasn't good there.

                                              > To be honest, since our ambitions are more modest then 100, I

                                              The gauntlet thrown down was 100 in a day, so that's the number I was
                                              fixating on. 100 in a day in Houston isn't totally out out of the
                                              question, but it would be on the other side of fun. It probably would
                                              border on the 24 hour death-march. If your goal is, like mine was, is
                                              to have fun (and maybe border on obsession, but not cross it) I
                                              suggest you put aside all these crazy metrics and do
                                              exactly that - have fun. On a raw smileys-per-hour basis, you can
                                              probably do better than Houston when travelling but I have absolutely
                                              no regrets about visiting this area. If not for geocaching, I've
                                              have never gone to Houston at all. There were some lovely caches in
                                              suprisingly non-urban terrain on the west side of town and of all the
                                              places I've visited in my travels, Houston had probably amongst the
                                              best maintained caches of all of them.

                                              While the analytical part of me (did I mention I'm a Sr. S/W engr with
                                              two patents by day?) finds it entertaining to study
                                              smileys-per-square/terrain-foot, the ying to my yang (the part that
                                              just wants to roam around in the woods with just enough technology to
                                              get my office-chair-butt back OUT of the woods so that the buzzards
                                              won't find my body) found Houston to be a lovely place to cache. The
                                              cachers were doubleplus pleasant - Parkerplus allowed me a find on a
                                              cache that was missing and a "trick" virtual that he knew I wouldn't
                                              get another swing at, and I enjoyed the dialogues with him, Team
                                              Troglodye (family of a friend), Houston Muggles, a few others, and
                                              later - TN's own Mustard Devil about those positively Biblical Banana
                                              spiders in the area. And there was all that crazy yard-art that seems
                                              to be the norm here, but would have positively gotten the landowner
                                              arrested in my home area, the 11'th richest county in the US, that I'd
                                              have never seen if not for geocaching.

                                              Go. Have fun. If you don't break 100 in a day, but still manage to
                                              have the most fun the law will allow (or at least catch you at) you
                                              should consider your trip a success.

                                              I did.
                                            • wildcatbud1
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 31, 2004
                                                Oh, I remember so well Robert Lipe's visit to our fair city! It was
                                                in the heydays of number lust run amuck, and I'm afraid a lot of tail
                                                feathers were ruffled and a lot of noses were completely out of
                                                joint. I think after that, when Mustard Devil returned to live here
                                                and he did like 40 something in one day. They showed us what COULD
                                                be done with a little planning and forethought and a lot of hard
                                                work!!
                                                WCB

                                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lipe"

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 31, 2004
                                                  Guess nobody from out-of-town ventured down here for the Krugerrand
                                                  Run. If they did, they kept it a secret, no logs.
                                                  Wish you could have made it Mike, your plots were so good I am sure
                                                  you'd have been right in there with the best of 'em. Maybe next
                                                  year!!?!!
                                                  WCB

                                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mbseay@m...>

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 31, 2004
                                                    Yep! Definitely plan on making it next year, if the schedule works
                                                    out! I was very dissappointed this year to miss it, but I'm still
                                                    looking forward to taking a shot at least at finding it! In fact,
                                                    I'm glad muddybuddies posted their time on the site, because to make
                                                    myself feel better I want to come down on a free saturday sometime,
                                                    stay at the hotel I had planned to stay at, wake up at 5:00 am, and
                                                    recreate the hunt under race conditions. Probably not accurate
                                                    without the competitive pressure to screw up my calculations, and it
                                                    sounded like there were a bunch of unusual distractions on the road
                                                    that day, but it would still be fun. I'm hoping my time WON'T be as
                                                    good as the winner's time (and I suspect it won't be!) so I can stop
                                                    blaming that poor girl who got married and ruined my trip!

                                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "wildcatbud1"
                                                    <hettie@y...> wrote:
                                                    > Guess nobody from out-of-town ventured down here for the
                                                    Krugerrand Run. If they did, they kept it a secret, no logs.
                                                    > Wish you could have made it Mike, your plots were so good I am
                                                    sure you'd have been right in there with the best of 'em. Maybe
                                                    next year!!?!!
                                                    > WCB

                                                  • wildcatbud1
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 1, 2004
                                                      Just pick up Brando's line "I coulda been a contender" and don't
                                                      punish yourself!