Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships

  • Michele Pain
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2002
      Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships I have been reluctant to join because I'm cheap/broke. But...I've know I would since I've gotten well over $30 worth of entertainment value in the last 2 months! Where's teh original email that all of these refer to?
      Thanks
      Michele in Austin
      ----------
      From: candy8966 <candylind@...>
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships
      Date: Sat, May 4, 2002, 11:08 AM

      geocaching <geocaching@a...> wrote:
      > I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the
      internet...  The geocaching.com web
      > site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month
      plans.  It
      > looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.
      This

      "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
      > Personally, I have mixed feelings.  I understand that the cost to
      > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
      > shirt and hat sales.  On the other hand, I don't see
      > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
      > ... If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
      > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
      > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months ...
      > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't.  Interested
      > in sharing your opinions?

      My two cents is this ... I've become a Charter Member and Wayne most
      likely will, too, on the next paycheck ... $30 a year (plus
      tschotchkes of course) is FAR less than we pay for other
      entertainment such as softball ($30 per 8-game series, plus balls) or
      golf (anywhere from $17 to $50 a round) so we figure it is well worth
      it to support the site. Plus I'm getting excercise I wasn't getting
      and I'm not paying for some club membership ... you get my drift. Now
      if I can just keep my feet under me and quit "klutzing out" on 1-star
      difficulty caches, I should be just fine! ;-) (you had to be at
      Austin Geo-Hour to understand that ...)

      Candy aka Moosiegirl

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
      var lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356"; var lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429b.swf"; var lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356"; var lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429.gif"; var lrec_width=300; var lrec_height=250;

    • txhipowr
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2002
        Michele,

        You can view all the meesages from Central Texas Geocachers at:

        You might need to set up a free account with yahoo to get into the
        archive area.

        Lou Catozzi
        TxHiPowr

      • stillfindingthings <stylie@maclaunch.com>
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
          > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
          > Geocaching.com?
          >
          > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
          > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
          > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
          > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
          >
          > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything. Jeremy has always
          > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true. We
          > can still do everything that we've become used to. (Although,
          > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are disabled.
          > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was. If you had a
          > chance to see "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I made
          > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
          >
          > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
          > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
          > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months. I
          > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
          >
          > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested in
          > sharing your opinions?
          >
          > Tom

          Hello All,
          Wow, I just figured out what this post was about. (I'm a little slow). I went to research caches in Minnesota for an upcoming summer trip, and I ran into a members only cache. In fact, 2 of the 4 caches I was interested in were members only.
          I have always been a strong advocate of free information on the internet and I seem to run into the "pay for", and "register for", sites more and more often. I don't think its bad, I guess, I just harken back to a time when web sites were more or less a labor of love, and information was a little more distributed across a wide variety of sites. Web sites seem to give information away for a while, then they get big, and next thing you know its get out the check book. Look at Google and how its growing, its everywhere..are there any other search engines? ;-) Anyway, I offer that a person who hides cache might cross post the location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet. Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know, I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
          One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up page is a little interesting..
          The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people to go?

          Dogger
          (Getting out his checkbook)

          P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the happy hour back at La Feria.
          P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's
        • Grajek
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
            Hello,
            I am new to the sport and the mailing list. I like the idea of the
            optional fees but do not like the "Members Only Caches." I will send my
            money, but as a matter of principle will not participate in the members
            only caches. I agree with Dogger Information should be free. I
            understand the need for money and even the extra little perks you can
            get with a monthly subscription to attract people (Like the Icon next to
            your name), but not Memebers Only Caches.

            Nice to meet everyone. Thanks to everyone that have taken the time to
            email me with suggestions and guidance in the new sport.

            Thanks
            Grajek

> [...]

            location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet.
            Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of
            course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being
            excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know,
            I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
            One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up
            page is a little interesting..
            The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by
            charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people
            to go?

            Dogger
            (Getting out his checkbook)

            P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the
            happy hour back at La Feria.
            P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Lou Catozzi
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
              Hi Grajek,

              Welcome aboard. Where are you based out of? I have noticed that the
              only Members Only cache within 100 miles of Austin is located in
              Hempstead, TX. It doesn't as if the local charter members (myself
              included) think much of the idea either. We really haven't had much call
              for that locally.

              Lou Catozzi
              AKA TxHiPowr