Central Texas Bald Eagles

  • Tim Gahagan
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      (Do not care of GC approves, but you are all wecome to enjoy this)
      Tim
      aka Velvet Hammer

      N 30° 46.316 W 098° 33.039

      This is a simple virtual cache to see nesting Bald Eagles in the Texas Hill Country.

      The Eagles are approximately 100 yards off the highway, and can be viewed with the naked eye, most cameras with some type of telephoto zoom, and binoculars.

      There is not a defined parking area, but one can park off the side of the road with ease.

      A fence separates the property and the Eagles from the road. This is private property, and trespassers will be prosecuted, so you have been warned not to cross the fence (and in this part of Texas, shots are usually not fired as warnings).

      This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see Bald Eagles this close. The Eagles' babies (most think 2) have hatched and there is no estimate of how long they will stay in this nest.

      Hint Below (do not scroll if you do not want the hint)

      Texas State Hwy 29, west of FM 1431, 3-4 miles from intersection. Between Llano and Burnet Texas.

      Look in the big tree to the south. The nest is HUGE.
    • yelsreknat2003
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2004
        I just got back from this area. We could see one adult in the nest
        and possibly one flapping around in the nest. Then another adult flew
        in and hung around for awhile. Beautiful birds to be sure. I shot 2
        rolls of 800asa film through a 600mm telephoto lens and am hoping I
        got some decent shots. I'll post them as they are turned into
        electronic form.

        It's a relatively quick drive out there and that alone was worth
        getting out of the house for.

        Take care-
        TankandEmiloo

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Tim Gahagan <tim@g...>