RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] A question of bad form...

  • Scott & Charlotte
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003

      I usually give it a month before I send an email about a bug being held.  Recently the Crazy 8 Ball TB was picked up and held for two and half months and I emailed the “holder” at least 3 times and never got a response.  Fortunately it got placed about a week ago and is now moving again.  I also had a bug move twice and then get lost forever (Big Tex Gumby).  Unfortunately, it looks like it is the nature of bugs to go missing; some just take longer than others to get lost.  A few make it through to a successful life of a year or more (judging from the TB forums).  I think it helps to attach an ID/Goal Tag to the TB to let people know the goal when they pick it up.  Although that doesn’t prevent them from getting snatched!

      Scott Robuck

      N 30° 12.4'

      W 97° 50.4'

      "Trying is the first step towards failure."

                                    -- Homer Simpson

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
        I also give it a month. I've had so many bugs go awol that I stopped
        caring about them and if they resurface that's great, and if not, I
        redeploy the COPY tag on another item and give it another go. I think
        the trick to a successful bug is to make it so ugly that no one will
        want to keep it. Of course it has to be interesting enough for them to
        want to remove it from the cache and place it elsewhere. It's a
        dilemma. I also agree that having a goal card attached to the bug makes
        for more success, but I do like to change the goal in mid-flight
        sometimes, and having a card attached makes this more difficult.
        -mark
        aka "lowracer."

        On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 11:13 PM, Scott & Charlotte wrote:

        > I usually give it a month before I send an email about a bug being
        > held.  Recently the Crazy 8 Ball TB was picked up and held for two and
        > half months and I emailed the “holder” at least 3 times and never got
        > a response. Fortunately it got placed about a week ago and is now
        > moving again. I also had a bug move twice and then get lost forever
        > (Big Tex Gumby).  Unfortunately, it looks like it is the nature of
        > bugs to go missing; some just take longer than others to get lost.  A
        > few make it through to a successful life of a year or more (judging
        > from the TB forums).  I think it helps to attach an ID/Goal Tag to the
        > TB to let people know the goal when they pick it up. Although that
        > doesn’t prevent them from getting snatched!
        >

        > Scott Robuck
        >
        > N 30° 12.4'
        >
        > W 97° 50.4'
        >

        > "Trying is the first step towards failure."
        >
        >                              -- Homer Simpson

        <image.tiff>

        -mark
      • AusGeoCache@aol.com