A question of bad form...

  • rtyoungster
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
      Is it considered bad form to write a fellow GC member about moving a
      Travel Bug along? A bug (Question Authority) left Austin for New
      Mexico about 6 weeks ago. When again fund the stated intentions
      included a trip to Arkansas. It's not been seen since. Thanks for
      your suggestions.
      Richard
    • Scott & Charlotte
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
        Que? I'm note quite sure what you are trying to say, but "Question
        Authority" has been logged by 3 cachers since it left Austin on March
        7th, barely a month ago (not 6 weeks). There is nothing about Mexico or
        Arkansas in its goal or in the logs. Its goal is to "travel long
        distances calling all its finders to Question Authority".

        Are you asking whether it's proper geo-etiquette to email someone who
        has held onto your bug for a few weeks?

        Scott Robuck
        N 30° 12.4'
        W 97° 50.4'

        "Trying is the first step towards failure."
        -- Homer Simpson

        Is it considered bad form to write a fellow GC member about moving a
        Travel Bug along? A bug (Question Authority) left Austin for New
        Mexico about 6 weeks ago. When again fund the stated intentions
        included a trip to Arkansas. It's not been seen since. Thanks for
        your suggestions.
        Richard

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • AusGeoCache@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
          My question, as Team Geo points out, is misunderstood or ambiguous.
          Restated: Is it bad form to write someone about moving a TB along?
          How long should you wait before writing?

          I didn't find the answer on any of the forums.  I want to know the etiquette of the game.  Thank you for your opinions and suggestions.
        • Scott & Charlotte

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
              I also give it a month. I've had so many bugs go awol that I stopped
              caring about them and if they resurface that's great, and if not, I
              redeploy the COPY tag on another item and give it another go. I think
              the trick to a successful bug is to make it so ugly that no one will
              want to keep it. Of course it has to be interesting enough for them to
              want to remove it from the cache and place it elsewhere. It's a
              dilemma. I also agree that having a goal card attached to the bug makes
              for more success, but I do like to change the goal in mid-flight
              sometimes, and having a card attached makes this more difficult.
              -mark
              aka "lowracer."

              On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 11:13 PM, Scott & Charlotte wrote:

              > I usually give it a month before I send an email about a bug being
              > held.  Recently the Crazy 8 Ball TB was picked up and held for two and
              > half months and I emailed the “holder” at least 3 times and never got
              > a response. Fortunately it got placed about a week ago and is now
              > moving again. I also had a bug move twice and then get lost forever
              > (Big Tex Gumby).  Unfortunately, it looks like it is the nature of
              > bugs to go missing; some just take longer than others to get lost.  A
              > few make it through to a successful life of a year or more (judging
              > from the TB forums).  I think it helps to attach an ID/Goal Tag to the
              > TB to let people know the goal when they pick it up. Although that
              > doesn’t prevent them from getting snatched!
              >

              > Scott Robuck
              >
              > N 30° 12.4'
              >
              > W 97° 50.4'
              >

              > "Trying is the first step towards failure."
              >
              >                              -- Homer Simpson

              <image.tiff>

              -mark
            • AusGeoCache@aol.com