Please help a Texas Travel Bug win a National Race!

  • Scott & Charlotte
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003

      Attention all Texas Geocachers....

      Last March 8th, the 1st Cannonball Run Race for Travel Bugs was started. Over 70 bugs are currently racing 2257 miles from Buffalo New York to Ripon California. Unfortunately, out of all the bugs that entered the race, only ONE is from Texas. "Toby the Tortoise" (http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=18611) was entered on behalf of Team GeoDillo from Austin and that makes “Toby the Tortoise” THE Texas representative. The tortoise always wins the race, right?  Please help “Toby” win the race for Texas.

      Here is my request:  In the spirit of Cannonball Run type races, good natured interference is allowed.  As a competitor, the rules do not allow me to directly interfere with any of the other competitors.  But as a Texas cacher and non-competitor, you can play the game by helping divert other competitors’ travel bugs. I will occasionally post a request to this group asking to help "divert" some of the other competitors when they come to a cache near you.  Some types of diversion include (but are not limited to) taking the bug with you on a trip to a place far far away, holding on to the bug for a month or so, and/or placing the bug in a very difficult and out of the way cache.

      Currently, "Oscar's Express" (from Tennessee) (http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=24257) is the competitor closest to Texas, located in a cache in Baton Rouge Louisiana.  "Oscar's Express" should be traveling through Texas very soon. I would really appreciate it if you would add "Oscar's Express" to your bug watch list and hopefully you can help divert this bug when it comes to a cache near you (it is currently in first place and needs some diverting).  Please spread the word to other cachers who may not be on this list.  I would also appreciate an email to divert-a-bug@... if you come across “Oscar's Express”.

      Your incentive: The next time you're in Austin, or the next event cache we attend, I'll buy you a beer or drink of your choice if you can help divert any of the bugs.  To sweeten the deal I'll send a set of virgin travel bug tags to anyone that can divert Oscar's Express at least two states away.

      Current race links:

      A map I have set up showing current bug positions (clickable) http://www.robuck.net/bugrace/

      The Official Site http://www.ny-geocaching.org/cannonballrun/

      The Stats Site http://cannonballrun.no-ip.org:8080/cannon/cannon.html

      Thanks for your help

      Scott & Charlotte

      Team GeoDillo

      N 30° 12.4'

      W 97° 50.4'

    • Matt Donovan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003
        Gordos Grotto was very very clever! just ask Grajek.

      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2003

          It looks like there is one person moving the leader. Seems to defeat the point of the race if one person always moves it. I see a bad event if this one makes it to central Texas.