Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] The Great Austin Earth Day Cleanup Whatever Bash Thingy

  • Mark Gessner
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      done. Let's find a park. I'm starting to get worried that none of the
      parks in Austin have any trash in them. Maybe we should have a Trash
      the Parks day the weekend before, just to get ready. Start saving your
      garbage. ;-)

      On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 09:42 AM, Candy Lind wrote:

      > Lord. Can't remember the name! HAH! There's been discussion about
      > doing this at the "park" where Iggy Pop is ... that's not a park,
      > that is private property and will eventually be bulldozed for
      > development. Here's my suggestion as logged on the cache page:
      >
      > I'd like to suggest that we elongate the time, not to make people
      > work longer, but in hopes that if someone can't come at 11, maybe
      > they can come at 9 and work 2 hours, or maybe they can come at 1 and
      > eat, then work 2 hours afterwards. How to you feel about opening it
      > up like that? Also, if we choose a park with caches (and maybe we'll
      > plant some before the event!), that will also provide a time frame
      > for folks to break out and get a find or two while they are there.
      >
      > To summarize, my suggestion is a 9 am to 3 pm "open house" type
      > thing, with food at 1pm, asking everyone to schedule 2 hours of work
      > and the rest they can play and eat! What do you think?
      >
      > Happy Trails,
      > Candy

      -mark
    • Wayne Lind
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        If worse comes to worse, Walnut Creek Park is a reasonable choice. For that matter we could work in the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Have we checked to see if Travis County has any parks they would like us to help clean?
        done.  Let's find a park.  I'm starting to get worried that none of the
        parks in Austin have any trash in them.  Maybe we should have a Trash
        the Parks day the weekend before, just to get ready.  Start saving your
        garbage.  ;-)

        On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 09:42  AM, Candy Lind wrote:

        > Lord. Can't remember the name! HAH! There's been discussion about
        > doing this at the "park" where Iggy Pop is ... that's not a park,
        > that is private property and will eventually be bulldozed for
        > development. Here's my suggestion as logged on the cache page:
        >
        > I'd like to suggest that we elongate the time, not to make people
        > work longer, but in hopes that if someone can't come at 11, maybe
        > they can come at 9 and work 2 hours, or maybe they can come at 1 and
        > eat, then work 2 hours afterwards. How to you feel about opening it
        > up like that? Also, if we choose a park with caches (and maybe we'll
        > plant some before the event!), that will also provide a time frame
        > for folks to break out and get a find or two while they are there.
        >
        > To summarize, my suggestion is a 9 am to 3 pm "open house" type
        > thing, with food at 1pm, asking everyone to schedule 2 hours of work
        > and the rest they can play and eat! What do you think?
        >
        > Happy Trails,
        > Candy

        -mark

      • Grajek
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
          PARD is one of our clients and I am meeting with them tomorrow. I can
          ask if they have a park that is in worse shape than others.

          done. Let's find a park. I'm starting to get worried that none of the

          parks in Austin have any trash in them. Maybe we should have a Trash
          the Parks day the weekend before, just to get ready. Start saving your

          garbage. ;-)

          On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 09:42 AM, Candy Lind wrote:

          > Lord. Can't remember the name! HAH! There's been discussion about
          > doing this at the "park" where Iggy Pop is ... that's not a park,
          > that is private property and will eventually be bulldozed for
          > development. Here's my suggestion as logged on the cache page:
          >
          > I'd like to suggest that we elongate the time, not to make people
          > work longer, but in hopes that if someone can't come at 11, maybe
          > they can come at 9 and work 2 hours, or maybe they can come at 1 and
          > eat, then work 2 hours afterwards. How to you feel about opening it
          > up like that? Also, if we choose a park with caches (and maybe we'll
          > plant some before the event!), that will also provide a time frame
          > for folks to break out and get a find or two while they are there.
          >
          > To summarize, my suggestion is a 9 am to 3 pm "open house" type
          > thing, with food at 1pm, asking everyone to schedule 2 hours of work
          > and the rest they can play and eat! What do you think?
          >
          > Happy Trails,
          > Candy

          -mark

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Mark Gessner
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
            Barton creek Greenbelt does not have a covered picnic pavillion with
            built-in grills. Well, at least the parts of it I've explored. :-)

            On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 07:22 PM, Wayne Lind wrote:

            > If worse comes to worse, Walnut Creek Park is a reasonable choice. For
            > that matter we could work in the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Have we
            > checked to see if Travis County has any parks they would like us to
            > help clean?
          • Mark Gessner
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2003
              We have a Park!

              Mansfield Dam Park, a 71 acre park on Lake Travis, by all reports
              seriously trashed, has covered picnic tables and barbecue grills.
              Hiking paths and boating. Still on Lake Travis, but not way out there.

              Only one problem. There are no caches in it! Know anyone who could
              fix that?

              Entry fee is $5.00 per carload. I'm wondering if someone with contacts
              at the county could get us a fee waiver since we're showing up to clean
              the place?

              Park Web Page:
              http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/graphic/parks_graphic/
              mansfield_dam.htm