The Great Austin Earth Day Cleanup Whatever Bash Thingy

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      Lord. Can't remember the name! HAH! There's been discussion about
      doing this at the "park" where Iggy Pop is ... that's not a park,
      that is private property and will eventually be bulldozed for
      development. Here's my suggestion as logged on the cache page:

      I'd like to suggest that we elongate the time, not to make people
      work longer, but in hopes that if someone can't come at 11, maybe
      they can come at 9 and work 2 hours, or maybe they can come at 1 and
      eat, then work 2 hours afterwards. How to you feel about opening it
      up like that? Also, if we choose a park with caches (and maybe we'll
      plant some before the event!), that will also provide a time frame
      for folks to break out and get a find or two while they are there.

      To summarize, my suggestion is a 9 am to 3 pm "open house" type
      thing, with food at 1pm, asking everyone to schedule 2 hours of work
      and the rest they can play and eat! What do you think?

      Happy Trails,
      Candy
    • Mark Gessner
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        done. Let's find a park. I'm starting to get worried that none of the
        parks in Austin have any trash in them. Maybe we should have a Trash
        the Parks day the weekend before, just to get ready. Start saving your
        garbage. ;-)

        On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 09:42 AM, Candy Lind wrote:

        > Lord. Can't remember the name! HAH! There's been discussion about
        > doing this at the "park" where Iggy Pop is ... that's not a park,
        > that is private property and will eventually be bulldozed for
        > development. Here's my suggestion as logged on the cache page:
        >
        > I'd like to suggest that we elongate the time, not to make people
        > work longer, but in hopes that if someone can't come at 11, maybe
        > they can come at 9 and work 2 hours, or maybe they can come at 1 and
        > eat, then work 2 hours afterwards. How to you feel about opening it
        > up like that? Also, if we choose a park with caches (and maybe we'll
        > plant some before the event!), that will also provide a time frame
        > for folks to break out and get a find or two while they are there.
        >
        > To summarize, my suggestion is a 9 am to 3 pm "open house" type
        > thing, with food at 1pm, asking everyone to schedule 2 hours of work
        > and the rest they can play and eat! What do you think?
        >
        > Happy Trails,
        > Candy

        -mark
      • Wayne Lind
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
          If worse comes to worse, Walnut Creek Park is a reasonable choice. For that matter we could work in the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Have we checked to see if Travis County has any parks they would like us to help clean?
          done.  Let's find a park.  I'm starting to get worried that none of the
          parks in Austin have any trash in them.  Maybe we should have a Trash
          the Parks day the weekend before, just to get ready.  Start saving your
          garbage.  ;-)

          On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 09:42  AM, Candy Lind wrote:

          > Lord. Can't remember the name! HAH! There's been discussion about
          > doing this at the "park" where Iggy Pop is ... that's not a park,
          > that is private property and will eventually be bulldozed for
          > development. Here's my suggestion as logged on the cache page:
          >
          > I'd like to suggest that we elongate the time, not to make people
          > work longer, but in hopes that if someone can't come at 11, maybe
          > they can come at 9 and work 2 hours, or maybe they can come at 1 and
          > eat, then work 2 hours afterwards. How to you feel about opening it
          > up like that? Also, if we choose a park with caches (and maybe we'll
          > plant some before the event!), that will also provide a time frame
          > for folks to break out and get a find or two while they are there.
          >
          > To summarize, my suggestion is a 9 am to 3 pm "open house" type
          > thing, with food at 1pm, asking everyone to schedule 2 hours of work
          > and the rest they can play and eat! What do you think?
          >
          > Happy Trails,
          > Candy

          -mark

        • Grajek
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
            PARD is one of our clients and I am meeting with them tomorrow. I can
            ask if they have a park that is in worse shape than others.

            done. Let's find a park. I'm starting to get worried that none of the

            parks in Austin have any trash in them. Maybe we should have a Trash
            the Parks day the weekend before, just to get ready. Start saving your

            garbage. ;-)

            On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 09:42 AM, Candy Lind wrote:

            > Lord. Can't remember the name! HAH! There's been discussion about
            > doing this at the "park" where Iggy Pop is ... that's not a park,
            > that is private property and will eventually be bulldozed for
            > development. Here's my suggestion as logged on the cache page:
            >
            > I'd like to suggest that we elongate the time, not to make people
            > work longer, but in hopes that if someone can't come at 11, maybe
            > they can come at 9 and work 2 hours, or maybe they can come at 1 and
            > eat, then work 2 hours afterwards. How to you feel about opening it
            > up like that? Also, if we choose a park with caches (and maybe we'll
            > plant some before the event!), that will also provide a time frame
            > for folks to break out and get a find or two while they are there.
            >
            > To summarize, my suggestion is a 9 am to 3 pm "open house" type
            > thing, with food at 1pm, asking everyone to schedule 2 hours of work
            > and the rest they can play and eat! What do you think?
            >
            > Happy Trails,
            > Candy

            -mark

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Mark Gessner
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
              Barton creek Greenbelt does not have a covered picnic pavillion with
              built-in grills. Well, at least the parts of it I've explored. :-)

              On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 07:22 PM, Wayne Lind wrote:

              > If worse comes to worse, Walnut Creek Park is a reasonable choice. For
              > that matter we could work in the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Have we
              > checked to see if Travis County has any parks they would like us to
              > help clean?
            • Mark Gessner
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 12, 2003
                We have a Park!

                Mansfield Dam Park, a 71 acre park on Lake Travis, by all reports
                seriously trashed, has covered picnic tables and barbecue grills.
                Hiking paths and boating. Still on Lake Travis, but not way out there.

                Only one problem. There are no caches in it! Know anyone who could
                fix that?

                Entry fee is $5.00 per carload. I'm wondering if someone with contacts
                at the county could get us a fee waiver since we're showing up to clean
                the place?

                Park Web Page:
                http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/graphic/parks_graphic/
                mansfield_dam.htm