Droid vs. IPhone

  • danny_c_champion
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 28, 2014
      I have been geocaching using c:geo on my droid for several years.  My wife is pushing me to get an IPhone.  I would like to hear about the free geocaching apps on the IPhone.  I would also like to hear opinions about which phone type is better for geocaching.

      Racer57 (Danny)

    • Cheryl Drake
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 28, 2014
        I don't know of any free apps for the IPhone.  Tom (Electric Water Boy) has an iPhone and we NEVER use it except to check the web pages.  I have a Galaxy S5 and use c:geo ALL THE TIME.  Since I have figured out how to set the GPS, I use it quite often when I have not loaded my GPS.

        On Monday, July 28, 2014 9:11 AM, "danny.c.champion@... [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS]" <CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I have been geocaching using c:geo on my droid for several years.  My wife is pushing me to get an IPhone.  I would like to hear about the free geocaching apps on the IPhone.  I would also like to hear opinions about which phone type is better for geocaching.

        Racer57 (Danny)

      • Mike Detlefsen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 28, 2014
          I don't know of any free apps for the iPhone, but Geosphere is my preferred caching app on the IOS platform. It's the only thing I miss about IOS after switching to Android.

          Neither platform is better for geocaching... they will both do the job quite nicely.

          I'm curious about your wife pushing you get an iPhone. There's not very much difference between the two platforms as far as functionality.

          Mike

          On 28 Jul 2014, at 09:00 , danny.c.champion@... [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] wrote:

          > I have been geocaching using c:geo on my droid for several years. My wife is pushing me to get an IPhone. I would like to hear about the free geocaching apps on the IPhone. I would also like to hear opinions about which phone type is better for geocaching.
          >
          > Racer57 (Danny)

        • Danny Champion
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 28, 2014
            My issue with the Droid is about overheating.  This is especially true when using c:geo.  It often gets so hot it turns itself off.

            Danny

            On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Mike Detlefsen mdmeleagro945@... [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] <CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            I don't know of any free apps for the iPhone, but Geosphere is my preferred caching app on the IOS platform. It's the only thing I miss about IOS after switching to Android.

            Neither platform is better for geocaching... they will both do the job quite nicely.

            I'm curious about your wife pushing you get an iPhone. There's not very much difference between the two platforms as far as functionality.

            Mike

            On 28 Jul 2014, at 09:00 , danny.c.champion@... [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] wrote:

            > I have been geocaching using c:geo on my droid for several years.  My wife is pushing me to get an IPhone.  I would like to hear about the free geocaching apps on the IPhone.  I would also like to hear opinions about which phone type is better for geocaching.
            >
            > Racer57 (Danny)

            ------------------------------------

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS-digest@yahoogroups.com
                CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • John Baker
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 28, 2014

              I haven't experienced any overheating of my Android phones. I don't use droid though. I've used an galaxy s2 and now a Nexus 5.

              John / thenkengrene

              ------------------------------------

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 28, 2014
                Yeah, I've seen quite a few reports on the web of Droid batteries overheating. Not all Android phones have this problem. I think before the nuisance of switching platforms, I'd consider other options.

                Not that I have anything against iPhones. I'm still firmly in the Apple ecosystem despite having an Android phone and tablet. It's just that I'm retired and iThings tend to be expensive. :-)

                Mike

                On 28 Jul 2014, at 12:22 , Danny Champion danny.c.champion@... [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] wrote:

                > My issue with the Droid is about overheating. This is especially true when using c:geo. It often gets so hot it turns itself off.
                >
                > Danny
              • BART REX
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 29, 2014
                  I had a droid and switched to IPhone. I did not like the iPhone.  The map on geocacheing will not use google map and will not follow off road in many places. Also in many ways it was a step back in features and tech. I now have an galaxie s5 it is fantastic.
                • bushman_family
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 29, 2014
                    I have an iPhone and it is the only thing I use while geocaching.  The geocaching.com app is accurate within 10-15 feet usually.  It's not free but worth it.  I have a GPS I used to use but stopped because of the hassle of having to download caches to it and then then logging them on geocaching.com.  It's just easier doing it all at once.  I don't have to remember later.  And I can quickly go back and forth between my account and my daughter's.   I have to plan ahead and make sure to save caches offline if I think I'll be in a place with little or no cell service but I'm a planner so that works for me.  The apps I have that are free are, GCTools, Munzee, BoxFinder and Compass.  GCTools is to help solve puzzle caches.  You know what Munzee is.  BoxFinder is for letterbox caches.  Compass helps me get closer to a cache if I need it and gives me the coordinates when I want to hide a cache.   (Although I've only hidden a couple under my daughter's name so far).  I was using geobucket which is a free geocaching app but you have to download caches to it so I stopped.  It seems like a cool app though.  And then of course you gotta have the free PodCacher app.
                  • stormie_aka_dustysandstorm
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 29, 2014
                      I have had nothing but trouble with my iPhone... had to replace the SIN card and have the store restore and reboot it several times. It has lost pictures and address book and could not retrieve them because it didn't sync and send them to the "cloud" like it was suppose to. Uses a ton of data if used for Geocaching, overheats, shuts down and drains the battery till you have to have it constantly plugged in to use it and one can not replace the battery, you have to send it to apple company to have it refurbished ...Siri may or may not remember who what and when, don't ask Siri for driving directions it's lost or can't find anything. In certain areas of Texas and states (like Arizona, Nevada and Colorado for example ) no cell service regardless of your carrier (AT&T, Sprint or Verizon) yet my friend's Samsung got service. I wouldn't recommend an iPhone to anyone, thus my next phone will be a Samsung Galaxy 5, counting down the day till Dec 15th 2014

                      P.S. Can you get the idea I am not happy with my iPhone?
                    • Dave Read
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 29, 2014
                        I have had exactly the opposite experience. I use my iPhone (4S and now 5S) for geocaching all the time. I use it more than my Orgeon 450, although the Oregon is still the go-to device in forests or other environments where the satellite view is not helpful. I use geocaching.com's app. For $10, it's really great.

                        I have no major complaints about the iPhone or the app, other than the GPS accuracy is not as good as my Oregon. Oh, and the part where I have cracked the screen on my iPhone twice while caching sort of sucks, but one can hardly blame that on the iPhone.

                        Virtually no smartphones these days have user-replaceable batteries. You can buy a DIY kit for your iPhone for $20 if you want to try your own hand, or the little phone shop on south Lamar will do it for $50 in about 45 minutes.

                        From: "sandstorm_62@... [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS]" <CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS@yahoogroups.com>
                        Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at 9:22 AM
                        To: <CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: Re: [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] Droid vs. IPhone

[...]

                      • Jeff Thomas
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 29, 2014
                          I have owned 3 iPhones over the last 5 years. I have never had any of the issues listed here. I use my iPhone or iPad tons for Geocaching. When I know that I'm going out caching for an entire day or weekend I use my Garman GPS. But for those three or four Caches, I use my iPhone with no problem at all. A phone is never a good idea to use for caching when you are going to be at it all day. The batteries in your cell phone or not designed for constant GPS use. The device will overheat. Use the right tool for the right job, that's why I have a Garmin Oregon 650.

                          If anyone is discouraged about a $10 price tag for the official Geocaching app, consider this; most people spend $300-$400 on a GPS. You are paying $10 to turn your phone into a GPS for Geocaching. To put that in perspective that is about 3% of a Garmin GPS. If you ask me, that price is well worth it to always be ready for geocaching.

                          Jeff Thomas
                          972-977-8909
                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 29, 2014
                            On 29 Jul 2014, at 09:29 , Dave Read dave@... [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] wrote:

                            > Virtually no smartphones these days have user-replaceable batteries.

                            Well, we might have to define a time period for "these days". My experience has been different. Earlier this year when the display on my old one quit working, every single Android smart phone that I considered buying had a user-replaeable battery. And a memory card slot.

                            I could have been coincidence — but on the other hand I did look at quite a few phones.

                            Mike
                          • semperquestio
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 29, 2014
                              I've only owned droids since making the move to smartphones.  On my 4th now and I've cached with all of them with various levels of success.  But of the various issues I've had with smartphone caching, battery overheating has never been one of them.  I've had 2 models I can't recall right now, an HTC 4G LTE, and am now on an HTC One M8.