Planning a Trip-To Include Working on Challenges

  • cjwswim2
    Message 1 of 13 , May 20, 2014

      HELP!!

      We are planning to travel from Bastrop to Kemah this week and I want to do some geocaching along the way, working on the "County" and the “I’ve Been Everywhere” challenge.  What do you do when you’re planning to travel so you can geocache efficiently along the way?  What software do you use that shows roads and counties clearly?  I look forward to hearing all your awesome input.

      Oh, we’ll be pulling an RV, so it should be interesting. :)

      cjwswim (we REALLY need to change this to something more creative)

      Linda Weseloh

    • John Baker
      Message 2 of 13 , May 20, 2014
        You can always "creat a route" in the pocket query page and put in your starting and final destination. Then, create a GPX file out of it from the last page after you created the route.

        Also, sometimes once you know the route, you can just look at the caches on that are near the road you will be on. If you want rare caches, then turn off traditionals, etc. For example, let the map screen only show virtuals, letterboxes, webcams, etc. Then...if those are what you want to find the most of, you will see them quicker and decide if it is what you want to do.

        Oh...in Galveston there are 3 webcam caches!!

        John / thenkengrene

        On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM, cjwswim@... [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] <CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        HELP!!

        We are planning to travel from Bastrop to Kemah this week and I want to do some geocaching along the way, working on the "County" and the “I’ve Been Everywhere” challenge.  What do you do when you’re planning to travel so you can geocache efficiently along the way?  What software do you use that shows roads and counties clearly?  I look forward to hearing all your awesome input.

        Oh, we’ll be pulling an RV, so it should be interesting. :)

        cjwswim (we REALLY need to change this to something more creative)

        Linda Weseloh

      • Jay Bingham
        Message 3 of 13 , May 20, 2014

          Linda,

          It appears that John assumes that you are a premium member, since you did not include your Geocaching name in your signature I cannot check to see if you are or are not, so I will assume that you are not. (BTW, including your real world name (first name only if you prefer) and your Geocaching name or handle is standard protocol for this mailing list).

          If you use the Firefox web browser you can install an add-on and a script that I find useful. First you will need the Greasemonkey add-on. Once Greasemonkey is installed search for and install the GC Tour script. This script allows you to create a list or tour of caches you would like to visit. Caches can be added to your tour from the pop up box on a map page, from the cache description page or from a cache list page. If you are planning to do more than a dozen of so caches, I recommend creating several small tours of less than a dozen caches maximum in each because they download more quickly. You can download the a tour directly to your GPSr or you can create a GPX file and load that into your GPSr if you have the capability to do that. It also has the capability to create a paper document listing the all the caches in the tour with a map of the entire tour, the cache description including a map and recent logs. The maps in the cache descriptions can be turned off if you desire. Without the map most cache descriptions fit on a single page. The ones that do not will be those with long descriptions like earth caches, virtual caches and webcam caches.

          It should be noted that some other browsers such as Opera and Chrome have the capability to run Greasemonkey scripts.

          --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

          Message 4 of 13 , May 21, 2014

            The way I look at counties works if you use GSAK and MapSource (the Garmin software that came with my gps eons ago).  I pull caches in the area I'm going through and put them in GSAK. Then, I display my cache list in MapSource, but I use the smart name function of MapSource so that the first 5 or so characters of the cache name on the map are the name of the county, and then the last 5 characters are the GC code (minus the GC part) which makes the name unique from the other caches in that county. The beauty of this system is that I can see exactly where the county changes and I look for spots on the map that have caches in more than one county close to each other!

            I know not many people have MapSource any more, but I've found it really, really valuable over the years...........and it's not as hard as trying to figure out what the heck Jay said!  LOL!

            If we ever run into each other at an event, I would be more than happy to demonstrate my system!

            Julie (an old dog with a few tricks, none new)

            Mrs. Captain Picard

            On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM, cjwswim@... [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] <CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            HELP!!

            We are planning to travel from Bastrop to Kemah this week and I want to do some geocaching along the way, working on the "County" and the “I’ve Been Everywhere” challenge.  What do you do when you’re planning to travel so you can geocache efficiently along the way?  What software do you use that shows roads and counties clearly?  I look forward to hearing all your awesome input.

            Oh, we’ll be pulling an RV, so it should be interesting. :)

            cjwswim (we REALLY need to change this to something more creative)

            Linda Weseloh

          • Melanie Dickerman
            Message 5 of 13 , May 21, 2014
              I have to put in my 2 cents here.

              #1. If you are planning to do any of these challenges or do any more than just very casual caching you REALLY need to be a premium member. It is $30 a year well spent. You'll get pocket queries and notifications which are worth their weight in gold plus some other features.

              #2. Get GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife - GSAK.net). You'll be able to do all kinds of things with your pocket queries with it. Another $30 well spent. This registration fee will get you the current version with no "nag screens" and discounts on future versions usually.

              #3.  If you just want to get all the caches along a route and grab them as you can then use John's recommendation. The website will step you through creating a route and then a Pocket Query to download.

              Now all of that being said, the way I have done my "fill in the map" caching is by mostly using the web page. I create a bookmark list (ie West Texas).  For the counties I switch my map view to Leaflet (Set Map preferences) and go to about the 5 mile zoom level. You can see the county boundaries there. Follow your route on the map and you'll see caches that are within whatever area criteria you need.  You can look at it in satellite view to make sure you can pull over in your RV. Click a cachE you want to do and then when the dialog box describing the cache pops up click "Bookmark It" and select the bookmark list you created. When you're done selecting the caches you want to do, go to your bookmark list and create a pocket query of that bookmark list. Run and download the pocket query, open it in GSAK (here you can double check that the caches are actually in the county or state you think they are in) and then download the query into your GPS.

              Melanie

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 21, 2014

                    Ok Julie, I am sorry that I could not make my explanation make sense to you. I will be glad to provide a more detailed explanation of how to install the Greasemonkey extension in Firefox and how to find and install the GC Tour script, all you need to do is ask. In concept, once you have done that, it really is not that much different than what you are doing it just uses a different set of tools. In defense of my system, it is free (no premium membership or GSAK required) and can also be used with MapSource since it allows GPX files to be created. Since I have learned that Linda is not a premium member (John pointed out to me that I was mistaken in my earlier assessment that she had not included her cache name) I thought it would be appropriate to point out solutions that do not require a $60 outlay. I know some folks consider that chump change, but to me it is not so I favor inexpensive (i.e. free) solutions.

                    I have found that by choosing the correct map on the map page at Geocaching.com county lines can be seen very easily. Since not all of the available maps show county lines, all that show county lines do not show county names and those that do show them only show them when you are zoomed to the highest levels of magnification here is a summary of what I have learned.

                    At zoom levels where the scale in the lower left corner of the map is 5 km/3 mi or less, all of the OpenStreetMap varieties show county lines although they are not always easy to discern, but none show county names.

                    At zoom levels 10 km/5 mi and below the MapQuest OSM map shows county lines and county names in the middle of the county. The county names move around depending on the zoom level and the lines are very faint and nearly the same color as secondary roads at zoom levels 5 km/3 mi and less.

                    At zoom levels 5 km/3 mi and less the Ersi WorldStreetMap shows easily discernable county lines and the county names are along the north border of the county and parallel with the county line.

                    At zoom levels 20 km and below the Ersi WorldTopoMap shows easily discernable county lines and has county names. At levels 20 km and 10 km the names appear at or near the center of the county but they are in a different place on each level and in cache dense counties like Travis, caches tend to obscure the county names. At level 5 km and below the names appear in at least two places that parallel the county line for each county.

                    Because it has more zoom levels that show the county lines and names I find the Ersi WorldTopoMap to be the easiest to use when selecting caches based on the county they are located in. If you are one of the folks who find the USGS topo maps to be too busy and difficult to read, know that this is not much like a USGS topo map at all.

                    And just in case someone out there does not know how to change maps on the map page, just move your mouse over that round cornered box that looks like three sheets of paper in a stack in the top right corner of the page then select a new map from the list that pops up.

                    --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 22, 2014
                      Hi Linda --

                      I use GSAK to store and organize caches and Microsoft Streets and Trips to plan efficient routes.
                      https://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-us/Products_StreetsGPS.aspx

                      I use pocket queries on the GC site to shotgun blast coverage of candidate areas of interest and load these into GSAK which includes a County field for every cache.  I then search and explore to my heart's content using GSAK to narrow these down to a much more focused list of likely caches I might actually visit.  I then create a new bookmark list on the GC site named after my excursion and use GSAK to populate that bookmark list in one step from the caches I've marked to include.  I then make a new pocket query from that bookmark list so this list can be available to download into the iPhone GC app.  This allows me to have a mode in the iPhone app where I only see the caches I'm interested in, period.

                      I also export these same caches from GSAK and load them into Microsoft Streets and Trips.  Planning my route is then nearly trivial.  I just mark my start and endpoints, add every cache I intend to visit along the way, hit "Optimize Stops" and it plots out the best route to take to visit them all in order.  Streets and Trips comes with a USB GPSr so I attach that to my laptop and have it keep track of my position on the route as I travel.  The nice thing about this is that you don't need internet access for the maps (very useful in remote rural regions of Texas) since Streets & Trips has the entire map of the USA included.  And if you DNF a cache, you can simply add another one to your route, recompute the route in the field, and continue on.

                      Pocket Queries + GSAK + Streets and Trips = nearly ideal road trips

                      -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
                    • GrnBeret2B
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 22, 2014
                        Hi Jay,

                        Unfortunately, userscripts.org appears to be inaccessible for me at the moment so I am unable to install the script "GC Tour" and try it out myself.  One thing that your email does not clarify that I think is quite important for Linda as she is working on the County Challenge: how do you see the County that the cache is located in?  This information is not available on GC.com, does the script calculate the county on it's own?

                        ~~Nathaniel
                        GrnBeret2B

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 22, 2014

                          Nathaniel,

                          You are correct; userscripts.org is inaccessible. The site http://www.isitdownrightnow.com indicates that it has been down for more than 10 days. Although this is the first time that I have seen this occur for the userscripts site, comments at isitdownrightnow indicate that it happens frequently. Comments at other web sites seem to indicate that the userscripts site has been deteriorating for some time due to a lot of malware being posted there. Other than the loss of access to the useful scripts hosted there it may be a good thing that it is going away. I went to the GC Tour author’s website to see if there was some other way to get the script but it just pointed back to userscripts.org. I sent a message to Martin Georgi the author of GC Tour at gctour.madd.in/ to tell him about the demise of userscripts.org and suggest that he find a new place to publish his script. We will see what happens. As a last resort, I found the script file on my computer but I am pretty much ignorant at this point as to how to share it with others. If I knew how to do that I would just post it on the group page at yahoogroups, with information on how to install it. I will see if I can figure out how to do that.

                          As for your other questions, it appears that you send your message before you read the, perhaps too highly detailed, follow-up message that I posted late last night. I believe you will find that it contains the answers to your questions about how to determine, on GC.com, the county a cache is in. The short version is: when you use one of the two maps that display county lines and names you can see what county a cache is in, my preference for this is: Ersi WorldTopoMap.

                          That said I will say just for clarity, the GC Tour script does not determine counties for you. What it does do is allow you to create lists (tours) of caches that you would like to visit. It does this by adding buttons/links to cache list pages, the cache listing page and the dialogue box on the map page that allow you to add a cache or in the case of the list pages multiple caches to a tour.  The interface is similar to the interface for adding caches to bookmark lists. Once you have a tour created it has some tools to do the following things:
                          print the tour,
                          send the tour to a GPSr,
                          download the tour GPX file to your computer,
                          view the tour on a map, and
                          upload the tour to the internet for sharing with others.

                          It also has the ability to create an ‘autoTour’ of all the currently active caches that you have not found that are within a chosen radius of coordinates that you supply.

                          I find it very handy; personally I like it better and find it much easier to use than trying to create a pocket query route, which I have done when I was a premium member.

                          --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 22, 2014
                            I appreciate the clarification that the script does not calculate counties on its own.

                            Should you wish to upload the script file, you can go to the group's yahoogroups page, click "File" under the group's banner, then the purple "Upload" button.

                            Nathaniel
                            Grn Beret 2B

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 30, 2014
                              I have become aware of some additional information that should help anyone who is desirous of obtaining Greasemonkey scripts.
                              While it is true that the site is no longer accessible via the http://userscripts.org/ URL it is accessible via the http://userscripts.org:8080/ URL.
                              A word of caution there are many scam scripts on the site, some of them even have the same names as legitimate scripts so caution is advised when searching for and installing scripts.
                              I have asked Greg to include the descriptions and links on http://www.geocachingaustin.com/reference/greasemonkeyandgeocachingcom to several scripts that I have found useful, GC Tour is included in that list.

                              Jay - Bing-GTX