Geocaching etiquette: How long is too long to log?

  • softscienceofficer
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 12 4:30 PM

      Hi everyone,

      I've been struggling with health issues for a couple of years, so my geocaching had been sporadic. I was able to take a big road trip last year, but I never logged my finds. I kept careful notes of the finds and dates. I'm now feeling up to logging, but I feel guilty it's been so long. Should I log or forget it? What is the statute of limitations on finding a cache?

      Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

    • Shawn
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12 4:43 PM
        Ed Anderson,
        I cannot believe you feel that you have to ask! LOG THEM! and good to see your email!!

        Best,

        Shawn/S6sputnik

        On Mar 12, 2014, at 6:30 PM, <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

        Hi everyone,

        I've been struggling with health issues for a couple of years, so my geocaching had been sporadic. I was able to take a big road trip last year, but I never logged my finds. I kept careful notes of the finds and dates. I'm now feeling up to logging, but I feel guilty it's been so long. Should I log or forget it? What is the statute of limitations on finding a cache?

        Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

      • J Crozier
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12 5:22 PM
          There is NO statute of limitations!  You found it, so you should log it!
          Cheers,

          On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM, <edgeanderson@...> wrote:

          Hi everyone,

          I've been struggling with health issues for a couple of years, so my geocaching had been sporadic. I was able to take a big road trip last year, but I never logged my finds. I kept careful notes of the finds and dates. I'm now feeling up to logging, but I feel guilty it's been so long. Should I log or forget it? What is the statute of limitations on finding a cache?

          Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

        • Bill Ellis

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 12 7:04 PM
              Dash says..... log em.

              Alan
              Aka Dash Hammer
              Formerly alancurry
              Formerly The Diver

              edgeanderson@... wrote:

              Hi everyone,

              I've been struggling with health issues for a couple of years, so my geocaching had been sporadic. I was able to take a big road trip last year, but I never logged my finds. I kept careful notes of the finds and dates. I'm now feeling up to logging, but I feel guilty it's been so long. Should I log or forget it? What is the statute of limitations on finding a cache?

              Ed/SoftScienceOfficer

            • Jay Bingham
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 12 7:47 PM

                Ed,

                Good to hear from you again, glad you are recovering.

                I agree, definitely no statute of limitations. I am guilty of delayed logging, sometimes for several months. If you were not the first to find and you did drop trackables in any of them then you should not feel under any pressure to log the find in a hurry. Those two reasons and to a lesser extent when I have grabbed a trackable are the only reasons that ever feel any urgency to log quickly. As the owner of a cache or two I can say without hesitation that I do not care one bit how long it takes a finder to log their find, I am just happy that they found it, it makes me even happier when they write about their experience finding it.

                I have read more than one log containing an apology for taking a long time to log a find, so you should not feel like you are the only one who has ever delayed logging a find. Mind you, I am not recommending that you apologize in you log; frankly I don’t see the need to. Further more if you don’t mention it, the only people who will ever know that it was a delayed log entry are you, the cache owner and any people who happen to have the cache on a watch list; it does not really matter to anyone else.

                Here’s to happy caching and a hope that you continue to recover,

                --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 13 6:13 AM
                  Go, thou, and log!  Glad that you're feeling better, Ed.

                  Russ the Waterweasel