Fwd: Puzzle caches

  • Greg Jewett
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2014

      All..

      This question came through the website.  I was hoping you might help shed some light on this topic and include the list on the answers.

      I would love to know the answers as well, since I am a puzzle noob as well!

      Please respond to the list and copy Becky as well!

      Thanks for your help!

      Greg Jewett
      Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
      (512) 627-7290
      http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>
      Subject: Puzzle caches
      Date: February 26, 2014 at 02:52:10 PMCST

      Would you please help me with a stumbling block I have experienced several times?  In solving puzzle caches, after you have come up with the WORDS, how do you convert them into NUMBERS in order to get the coordinates?  There must be a universal method.  Cache owners seem to assume that we know how to do this, so there are never any hints offered for this step.

      Thanks for your help!

      Becky

    • semperquestio
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 28, 2014
        No, there is no "universal method".  Each puzzle has it's own way.  Sometimes you can get a hint of what to do from the cache name.  Sometimes a hint can come from the cache description.  The possibilities are too numerous to even begin listing here.

        If you are dead set on solving the puzzle and you are stuck, your best bet is to first contact the cache owner for a hint or a friend you know that has solved it that can give you a nudge in the right direction.
      • Paul Albers
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 2, 2014
          Hi Becky,

          There are several likely methods used once you come up with words to get
          coordinates next. Feel free to send me an email with an example and I will
          try to help explain the association, if I'm able to solve the puzzle.

          Puzzle solving can be frustrating at times, but it can also be the most
          rewarding. I hope you I'm able to take away some of the frustration.

          Best Regards,

          -paul
          HiDude_98

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 5, 2014
            Paul and SQ, and others..

            Here is a question from Becky on a specific puzzle she is trying to solve!

            Begin forwarded message:

            From: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>
            Subject: Re: Puzzle caches
            Date: March 1, 2014 at 04:05:34 pmCST
            To: Greg Jewett <geojewett@...>

            Thanks so much, Greg!  The most recent one where I have had this issue is Feelin' Hot Hot Hottest (GC3VDWX).  The words seem to be the 7 deadly sins.  So I have the word GLUTTONY; now what do I do?  Even the cache description says "you will need to convert the words to numbers"-- like everyone knows how to do this.

            On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 9:35 PM, Greg Jewett <geojewett@...> wrote:
            Becky..

            I am a puzzle newbie.  However, I am going to post to the group - The Central Texas Geocachers.
            There some Puzzle gurus.   I also would love to know the answer.

            On Feb 26, 2014, at 02:52 PM, Becky Squires <squires.becky@...> wrote:

            Would you please help me with a stumbling block I have experienced several times?  In solving puzzle caches, after you have come up with the WORDS, how do you convert them into NUMBERS in order to get the coordinates?  There must be a universal method.  Cache owners seem to assume that we know how to do this, so there are never any hints offered for this step.

            Thanks for your help!

            Becky

          • Dave Read
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 5, 2014
              Well, you got letters that gave you the first 4 letters of a string of words. Then you can guess the missing letters from each word. From there I would try two things. 1) convert the letters of each word back into numbers, then add the values of the letters from each word. If you get a value greater than 10, try adding the digits of the number until you get a single digit. That is, if you the number values for the letters in the word add to 72, then add 7 and 2 to get 9. Another approach for the 72 case would be to ignore the 7 and just take the 2.  2) If approach (1) doesn't work, try doing the same thing with just the missing letters from each word. That is, if the word is GLUTTONY, which has 8 letters, you were only given the first 4. Try using approach (1) on TONY.

              Just thinking out loud...

              From: Greg Jewett <geojewett@...>
              Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM
              To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
              Cc: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>
              Subject: [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] Fwd: Puzzle caches

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 5, 2014
                Greg,

                I helped Becky a couple of days ago regarding this one. We exchanged
                general information on how each puzzle is different and what to look
                for in each to tackle trying to solve them.

                Best Regards,

                -paul
                HiDude_98

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 5, 2014
                  I am not the first person you'd ask to solve a puzzle, but this one caught my interest.

                  1. The trick to finding the way into the puzzle.

                  You KNOW a local puzzle will be N30 (or 29 or 31) and W 96 or 97 or there ;bouts.
                  If these are given, you can guess that the next digit will likely be plus minus one or two from the parking coords.  Some are more evil, but that's a start.

                  Now, on this one, there are 8 values... you've already tripped to sins, and figured out that the 4-numbers equate to a simple substitution 1-26 matching A-Z

                  Eight values, so 7 'deadly sins' are NOT the sins you are looking for.
                  But if they ARE sins (apparently), where do they match?
                  So I picked an odd one and googled 'sin frau' -- which gave me the breakthrough... There is an ordered list in literature (note, not exactly 8, though there are lists of 8 deadly sins) equating exactly to each word. If you can't find it, write me privately and I'll give you the key.
                  In this list, all those answers have a number (which makes Hot, Hotter, Hottest an 'a-HA! Quite so'). The rest is simple math (would have helped if I'd done (F-1) before the first verification.

                  Realize the ONLY math is between the parens -- so 2(A+1) is not 2 times (A+1) but rather 20 + (A+1)

                  Anyway. Figuring out what the puzzler wants is, indeed, the toughest part of puzzling. So that top tip -- using numbers you're pretty sure of (30/97, etc) helps you reverse engineer the question.

                  And, wouldn't you know it?
                  I just solved a puzzle! (and verified it)
                  Go, me!!!!

                  -BarbJ/Tygress

                  From: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>
                  Date: March 1, 2014 at 04:05:34 pmCST
                  To: Greg Jewett <geojewett@...>

[...]

                  info.fixyourbloodsugar.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 5, 2014
                    nope... but that was on my list to try.
                    =wink=
                    BarbJ 'glad I figured the right way first' Tygress

                    From: Greg Jewett <geojewett@...>
                    Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM
                    To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                    Cc: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 5, 2014
                      Becky,

                      If you did the conversion and look at what words you come up with, they are not the seven deadly sins.  You will need to look elsewhere for what those words are to be able to solve the puzzle.  The issue with puzzle caches is they are made up puzzles and you have to figure out what the cache owner wants you to find to solve the puzzle.  I spend a lot of spare time working on them and if I can't come up with a solution I move on to the next and come back later and may come up with something new to try.

                      Greg Shumaker
                      shumaker

                      From: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>
                      Date: March 1, 2014 at 04:05:34 pmCST
                      To: Greg Jewett <geojewett@...>

[...]

                      1 EASY tip to increase fat-burning, lower blood sugar decrease fat storage

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 5, 2014
                        Yeah, I had a few minutes to try this over lunch, and it didn't work. Somewhere between the sandwich and the chips, the solution became completely obvious and now it's solved.

                        From: "gumbietygress@..." <gumbietygress@...>
                        Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 3:48 PM
                        To: <CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS@yahoogroups.com>

                        From: Greg Jewett <geojewett@...>
                        Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM
                        To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                        Cc: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 5, 2014
                          That's puzzles for you!
                          =Tygress

                          From: "gumbietygress@..." <gumbietygress@...>
                          Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 3:48 PM
                          To: <CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS@yahoogroups.com>

                          From: Greg Jewett <geojewett@...>
                          Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM
                          To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                          Cc: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 6, 2014

                            Barb, Dave, Paul,,,,

                            Could you give another clue for me I mean Becky with what you do after dante's words are tormenting staring the puzzle solver in the face.

                            I am not near a lumber yard and A+1 can equal 3 or equal 2 in the space between my ears and B+2 can equal 4 or 6. And E+1 can equal 7 or 1.

                            I may be wayyyyyy off.

                            But like I said, Becky may still be hanging and I just want to help her out....

                            ;-)

                            Tom

                            TandJ1120

                          • Paul Albers
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 6, 2014
                              Tom,

                              Feel free to email me off the group, so I don't spoil this puzzle for others.
                              I'll be happy to help with the needed connection.

                              -paul
                              HiDude_98

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 6, 2014
                                =squinty look=
                                You're MOCKING us, aren't you?

                                Just so you know, when the wind is North by Northwest, you should know a hawk from a handsaw.

                                BarbJ =*I* didn't use the D-word= Tygress

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 6, 2014

                                  no no no Barb! I'm in awe of you masters! :-)

                                  I only try to be creative with asking for hints. it's my only way I'll get some of those question marks off our map!

                                • alan_tagit
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 6, 2014
                                    Thanks Paul. Got a good 2by4 from Dave. :-0
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 6, 2014
                                      ah.
                                      Ok then.
                                      Apparently Dave got you pointed in the right (bwahahaha!) direction.

                                      (I'm not a fan of puzzles, either -- so was quite chuffed at sorting that one out on my own.) (Now, to claim it... another issue.)

                                      Not having Paul's keen insight, I have to clunk the things -- usually, as I said, reverse engineering from the numbers/parameters I know must be there.
                                      Or I go begging. The puppy eyes, you know?

                                      -BarbJ=you're safe -- for NOW=Tygress

                                      no no no Barb! I'm in awe of you masters! :-)

                                      I only try to be creative with asking for hints. it's my only way I'll get some of those question marks off our map!

                                      Fast-Growing Industry
                                      A New Player In The Booming Bottled Water Market.
                                      AlkameWater.com