Texas Challenge vendors

  • nativtxn
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014
      Has anyone contacted the Munzee folks to come out to Bastrop? If not, Rob Vardeman can be reached at rob@.... They were at Lake Ray Roberts, and he said they'd be glad to come again.
    • Brent Kitchens
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014
        Munzee is not allowed at geocache sponsored events. Would be a great addition but we can't violate that.

        Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

          When you post to the CTG group, would you please sign your real name along with your game name?  Knowing who you are might help the rest of us better interpret the information you gave.  Can you cite or link to the policy related to Munzee so that we might confirm your information?
          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 25, 2014
            Whoops! In all of our event games we had a Munzee bingo challenge. We also had 10 open caching caches to do to qualify for the Garmin drawing. We also had 85 geocachers that all had board game or card game names! The JJCB6 was a 3 day event. As you can see our 6th annual. Munzees were also at MOGA 2012.

            Sent from my iPad
          • Brent Kitchens
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 26, 2014
              Yes they were at MOGA 2012 but not 2013. Just as they were at TX challenge 2012 but not 2013. It's not as big of a deal at non-megas. Being a Mega there are more eyes from Groundspeak at the event. I know the munzee guys pretty well as I signed up after only 10 munzees in the world were placed and I spoke to Rob often. Nothing we can do at this time. They are competition to Groundspeak.

              Brent

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 26, 2014
                Sorry that would help. I also apologize for not replying sooner but I was camping at Huntsville State Park this weekend and I only got one cache which is surprising to me but oh well.

                Brent Kitchens
                Log Dawgs
                TXGA President

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 26, 2014
                  From a Groundspeak forum in 2011. It also has not changed as I asked Miss Jenn a few weeks ago.

                  Thank you for bumping this thread to reinforce the fact that Munzees cannot be mentioned on cache listings.

                  As the overall thrust of this forum topic is to promote awareness of Munzees, I'm closing it at this time

                  Brent
                  log Dawgs

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 27, 2014

                    Please forgive me, as I am not trying to be antagonistic or cause tensions. One question: Does this eliminate any vendors who sell geocaching items from being a sponsor (prize donations and such) of a GS event, due to the fact that they are in competition because they sell geocaching stuff like GS? If this true then I will not ask for donations from them to help make an event fun for the average geocacher.

                  • Brent Kitchens
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 27, 2014
                      No as they are not competitors to Groundspeak they are resellers for Groundspeak.  They do not promote another game ie munzee.  It is very different.  Don't get me wrong Groundspeak does do things that can be a little different but this one I do see there point.

                      Thanks

                      Brent Kitchens
                      Log Dawgs
                      TXGA President

                      On Monday, January 27, 2014 8:48 AM, "sandstorm_62@..." <sandstorm_62@...> wrote:

                      Please forgive me, as I am not trying to be antagonistic or cause tensions. One question: Does this eliminate any vendors who sell geocaching items from being a sponsor (prize donations and such) of a GS event, due to the fact that they are in competition because they sell geocaching stuff like GS? If this true then I will not ask for donations from them to help make an event fun for the average geocacher.

                    • sandstorm_62
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 28, 2014

                        Thank you... I am beginning to understand now what GS considers competition... munzee, opencaching, geodashing, waymarking, geocheckpointing and such gps gaming websites, are what is not allowed. Again thank you for a prompt response to inquiries about this venue of policies for game playing. Segregation is the best route, to each they’re own, never meant to be played at the same time, in the end understanding clicks on the lightbulb.

                      • Jay Bingham
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 28, 2014

                          Since waymarking is their own brand I don’t there is a problem with it.

                          --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 28, 2014
                            waymarking is supported by GroundSpeak -- it's where Virtual Caches went, without all the prove-of-visit spot-quizzes.
                            You can go back and forth between cache/waymark pages. It's a handy tool for me in terms of labeling photos, and sometimes there's actually good info.
                            Waymarking is not, of course, for everyone.
                            Benchmarks are also not-in-competition... so a booth by the USGS/Geodetic Survey would be interesting, actually....

                            Muzee, opencaching, etc., however ARE in direct competition, for some value.
                            Some play well concurrently; some not so much. [There was a spate of people playing one game crossposting from geocaching.com, without the gc COs' permissions. I don't know what the status is now.]

                            Well, the lightbulb, as you say, is on... details come into finer view.

                            BarbJ =yeah, I log waymarks in verse, too= Tygress

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 28, 2014
                              Awww. :(  I enjoyed having the Munzee folks at the 2012 Texas Challenge and I seriously doubt they put any dent in Groundspeak's traffic at all.  I LOVED the big Lego Munzee.  I hate that Groundspeak refuses to play nice with other geo-location games. It makes it so restrictive on what you can and can't say.

                              Just to be clear about opencaching... there were cache listings added to Garmin's opencaching.COM site without CO's permissions (happened to one of my friends from here).  I do not get on the .COM site because I do not agree with the policy of the scraped listings and them taking the "OpenCaching" name without being part of the OC network. I also cannot confirm if they are still that way, but they used to not have reviewers. Caches were published immediately without review so it's up to the caching community to monitor them.

                              That is not the case on OpenCaching.US (OpenCaching North America).  All listings there are submitted by the owners and checked by OCNA reviewers before being approved. The CO then has ability to choose WHEN that listing will be published (publish now...or maybe during that next event or at 5:00 pm when everyone is getting off work...). OCNA embraces other games.  They have virtuals, web cams and more that you can't list elsewhere anymore. They even had an attribute for Munzees, so feel free to mention them in any listing. They are working on adding an attribute for the Sighter Game as well. So, yes, games can be played concurrently.

                              I like to play them all. :)

                              Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
                              http://tx.ag/denise     http://google.com/+DeniseVajdak
                              In God We Trust

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 28, 2014
                                Well, I can see the "why them but not them" issue rearing its ugly head, especially after the poaching incident. It's easier to just say no to everyone, rather than being accused of playing favorites. [Kindof like defending copyright.]
                                And it could be the munzee stickers (and possibly other games -- because people, especially those who don't play, tend to lump things) are causing grief for groundspeak in ways we don't know. [There may be something in the forums, but I don't follow the forums.]  Even with geocaching, we see where user enthusiasm sometimes forgets good sense and respect for property, despite reviewer oversight. Or where a brouhaha gets whipped up in such a way that Groundspeak is having to deal with State Attorney Generals...
                                Or it could be Groundspeak just doesn't want to share the court.
                                All sorts of scenarios, some understandable, some not.

                                -B =no conviction without the larger story= Tygress

                                Thank you... I am beginning to understand now what GS considers competition... munzee, opencaching, geodashing, waymarking, geocheckpointing and such gps gaming websites, are what is not allowed. Again thank you for a prompt response to inquiries about this venue of policies for game playing. Segregation is the best route, to each they’re own, never meant to be played at the same time, in the end understanding clicks on the lightbulb.

                                info.fixyourbloodsugar.com