Fwd: I'm looking for presenters for our 16th annual local Mensa regional gathering, Aug 29th-Sept 1st, 2014

  • Greg Jewett
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2013
      Is there anyone interested in putting something together with me?  I would love to do this, sounds like fun!

      Is unpaid, but as they say below... "Also, we aren't really able to pay our presenters, but we offer free passes to the entire event weekend (including all the food and drink we offer to all attendees) for two. "

      Let me know!

      Greg Jewett
      Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
      (512) 627-7290
      geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com
      http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Leslie Stevenson <leslielstevenson@...>
      Subject: I'm looking for presenters for our 16th annual local Mensa regional gathering, Aug 29th-Sept 1st, 2014
      Date: December 11, 2013 at 12:54:34 PMCST

      Dear Ammocan, (sorry I don't know your real name!)

      I'm the chairperson for our 16th annual local Mensa regional gathering,
      I'm looking for presenters to give a presentation at our 16th annual local Mensa regional gathering, Aug 29th-Sept 1st, 2014 (a social gathering). Our theme this coming year is "Playtime, come play with us!" and we will have a wide variety of workshops, presentations, tastings, and games! The event is normally at a hotel in Round Rock.

      I was hoping you would be willing to do some sort of workshop/presentation on Geocaching for our gathering? Or know someone in the group that would? It could be whatever you think would be interesting and informative - maybe basics of geocaching, show online websites... even take a group of interested folks to find a cache close by?

      We can set up a room how you like - for presentations and tables for display/examples, and we can provide media hookups and a laptop, projector, screen, etc... and you can decide on a time block (2-4 hours for a workshop, or if you just want to do a presentation for 45 min - an hour with Q&A after, that would be great too!)

      Also, we aren't really able to pay our presenters, but we offer free passes to the entire event weekend (including all the food and drink we offer to all attendees) for two.

      We are working to have a pretty wide variety of activities within the theme. Red Wassenich, who coined the phrase "Keep Austin Weird" will be doing a presentation and book signing.   We also have Susan Buhrman, president of the International Buster Keaton Society, coming to do a presentation on Buster Keaton and his innovations. We are contacting gaming stores to hopefully run some RPG games and do some new game demos throughout the event, plus other fun stuff: Play-Doh sculpting, Duct-Tape fun, a presentation on transactional analysis, some "adult themed" activities, vodka and salsa tastings, and a lot more!

      I would love to add a geocaching demonstration/workshop to our line up!  Please let me know if you would be willing to participate!  We are hoping to have schedules finalized by April 2014.

      I look forward to hearing from you,

      Leslie Stevenson
      979-599-3555
      http://www.lsm.us.mensa.org/events/rg/ (please excuse our website - it is being re-constructed!)

    • henryrohlfs
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2013

        Greg,

        Sounds like a fun gig. I'd be interested and I have a great deal of presentation experience to both large and small groups. (Ask Dave of Team Landshark.)

        Henry

        DivasDude

      • Greg Jewett