Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Help with Geo 101 class on 9/28 at McKinney Falls

  • Greg Jewett
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2013
      I would love to help out!   I have to clear it with my GeoWife, as it is the weekend that my son (EvanCool) is having his sleepover for his birthday.

      How long is the "class" and such?   Definitely keep my on any list for organization, school, etc.. that would like to have a Intro to Geocaching done -- as I love to do these.  I have prepared power points, demo caches, swag, geocoins display, and such that I have used many times at my company, my old job, for Round Rock Family Campout, BSA Cubscouts and Boyscouts, etc..

      ---------

      ..and then my shameless plug for the Central Texas Geocachers website, if anyone has any content like these events that I can add to the calendar or put in a quick article for the site - let me know.   I will update the site as quick as I can with the information.   If anyone wants to help out with the website, feel free to drop me an email!

      Greg Jewett
      Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
      (512) 627-7290
      geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com
      http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

      On Sep 18, 2013, at 10:31 am, RED <strontium87@...> wrote:

      Hello community,

      I've been doing work with the TPWD Texas Outdoor Family program to run the geocaching portion of these events. On 9/28 (next Saturday), they will be holding a TOF event at McKinney Falls. I'm not sure of the exact time yet, though we typically teach the class in the morning around 10am.  I have a prior commitment at this time and wanted to see if anyone would be available/interested to help out?

      It's a lot of fun, families and kids, we set out eight ammo can caches plus one demo cache that everyone finds together. You just mark the waypoints and load them into some eTrex 10s. Then after an introduction to geocaching and how to use the GPSr devices, we release the families to go find the caches. We typically call the waypoints by animal names, like raccoon, that correspond to an informational card inside the caches. This makes it easy for the families to remember which caches they've already found.

      Anyway, if this sounds like something you'd be interested in doing, let me know!

      -Rachele/strontium87

    • Esther Lopez
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2013
        As long as we are plugging shamelessly.....

        For anyone interested (teachers, scout leaders, camp personnel, etc.) in a great outdoor education workshop, please go to toea.org and look at the information about the Annual Texas Outdoor Education Association Workshop. It is scheduled for Friday, October 4 thru Sunday, October 6th, 2013. It is held at the HEB Foundation Camp in Leakey, Tx. The camp is located north of the town on US83 on the beautiful Frio River.  For 150 dollars you get room and board for the weekend, all workshop materials, and membership for the year (2013-2014).
        There are all sorts of outdoor sessions (kayaking, fishing, shooting and archery) as well as many sessions in the core subject areas that educators can use to make students excited about learning. There is something for everyone and educators are able to earn more than 12 hours of continuing education if needed.
        Please take a moment to visit toea.org and see what I am talking about. And feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

        Thanks,
        Esther
        aka - BGTx

        ---------