Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] RE: DNF's

  • Dave Read
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 4, 2013

      My employer is a Canadian company, so I am up there on a semi-regular basis, around 3-4x annually. The CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) is notorious for grilling people on entry. My company gives us "official" letters explaining why we are going to Canada and explaining all the hardware (usually phones/laptops) that we are bringing, and yet the last trip I made (Montreal in May) I was detained for a few minutes and questioned about why so many trips to Canada, where I was going, what I would be doing, etc. It verges on the ridiculous…and I bet that anything that is even slightly out of the ordinary gets them even more wound up.

      Moral of the story: go prepared. Bringing good documentation is a really good idea.

      From: <indigo.parrish@...>
      Date: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:48 AM
      To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] RE: DNF&#39;s

      --- In centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com, <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

       There's a Facebook group for you!  ISAG - I Suck At Geocaching!  Some of us here are members of that group.  We proudly log our DNF's, and sometimes they have better logs than our finds.

      One of my favorite caching stories of all time is related in my DNF log here:

      http://coord.info/GL1MBM00

      'Welcome to Minnesota' indeed

      -Keith (aka King of the DNFs)

      EWB - Tom

      Card Carrying Member of ISAG (Really, I have a card)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, <centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      This may show my ineptness, but my DNF percentage is sitting just about 12%.  But, I almost always log any DNF that I put effort into.  While that may put me close to the top of the DNF's, I probably hold the distinction of being the king of the second to finds!!

      Racer57 (Danny)

      --- In centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com, <palbers@...> wrote:

      Love numbers, thanks for sharing. My percentage is far lower than the
      actual number of DNFs. Often I cache with the family and I have them
      log the DNF, and only one of us will. I have various reasons for not
      being the one to log the DNF, none of which are pride. I feel pretty
      strongly about logging the DNF. It is a very valuable data point for
      both the CO and future finders. The history of a cache via it's finds
      and DNFs can sometimes be quite fascinating.

      My DNF ratio is pretty diluted due to massive power caching days, where
      it actually just isn't worth trying to keep track of and log DNFs. This
      last trip where we found so many caches, we had somewhere between 50
      and 100 DNFs that week, but trying to go back and figure out which ones
      those were would be a pain.

      Continue to log the DNFs. It is so very gratifying to be able to avenge
      that DNF on a future visit.

      Funny side point. I am one stubborn cacher too. It takes a lot to pull
      me away from GZ without the find. I drive my family crazy sometimes and
      likely other cachers, for they want to move on and I'm driven to find
      it. Just a HiDude quirk. :)

      -paul
      HiDude_98

      Jay Bingham wrote:

      Thanks Paul, all this while I was feeling good when I got my DNF’s to less than 10% of all my finds. L

      Currently my raw count of DNFs is 82 or 9.94% of all attempts to find a cache that I have made. The first cache that I ever attempted we did not find so at that point my DNF count was 1 but my percentage was 100%, we found the next nine which steadily decreased my DNF percentage from 50% to 10%, since then the highest it has been is 28.57% (10 of 35) and the lowest it has been is 9.53% (63 of 661).

      Another statistic that I keep is my find percentage for distinct caches, which means that I went back and found some of those that I had DNFed, of course some of them really were not there, so I had no opportunity to redeem myself. The DNF count for that is 48 of 791 caches or 6.07%.

      I tend to log all my DNF’s although I have omitted a few that I found on a second attempt within 24 hours of having not found it.

      I don’t know where that puts me in the running for King of DNF’s but I have Paul beat in the percentage category if not in the raw numbers.

      --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
      |+| Georgetown , TX USA

    • Jay Bingham
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 4, 2013

        Great story indeed, but this is not a new phenomenon, even though it may be more frequent now with the whole world on terrorist alert. Back In March of 1977, ages ago I know so it is not even Geocaching related, I was returning to the US after spending a month in the Netherlands on a work assignment. I was pulled in for an interview by customs, not sure what triggered it other than I was one of the first through customs and was a twenty something guy sporting a mustache. The agent that interviewed me was totally cool, he did not even hassle me about the big ball of Edam or was it Gouda , I can’t remember, I had bought in Amsterdam . However, the agent in the next room, whom I could overhear, interviewing that poor soul, was a total jerk. Making accusations rather than asking questions and generally being very unpleasant and obnoxious; just what every tired traveler looks forward to after an 8 hour overnight flight from Amsterdam to Chicago , not. Although I was not happy to have been pulled in for an interview I was at least relieved that I had not come through either a little sooner or a little later and got that guy. I probably would have had to donate my cheese to the customs service.

        --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX