RE: Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] RE: RE: DNF's

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2013

       You have to join the Facebook Group.  It started in Florida and has been spreading.

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, <centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Where can I get a card like that?!   It might make me feel better about the multitudes of DNFs we have. :-)

      Christa
      (Cacherats!)

      On 9/3/2013 9:43 AM, electric_water_boy@... wrote:

       There's a Facebook group for you!  ISAG - I Suck At Geocaching!  Some of us here are members of that group.  We proudly log our DNF's, and sometimes they have better logs than our finds.

      EWB - Tom

      Card Carrying Member of ISAG (Really, I have a card)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, <centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      This may show my ineptness, but my DNF percentage is sitting just about 12%.  But, I almost always log any DNF that I put effort into.  While that may put me close to the top of the DNF's, I probably hold the distinction of being the king of the second to finds!!

      Racer57 (Danny)

      --- In centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com, <palbers@...> wrote:

      Love numbers, thanks for sharing. My percentage is far lower than the
      actual number of DNFs. Often I cache with the family and I have them
      log the DNF, and only one of us will. I have various reasons for not
      being the one to log the DNF, none of which are pride. I feel pretty
      strongly about logging the DNF. It is a very valuable data point for
      both the CO and future finders. The history of a cache via it's finds
      and DNFs can sometimes be quite fascinating.

      My DNF ratio is pretty diluted due to massive power caching days, where
      it actually just isn't worth trying to keep track of and log DNFs. This
      last trip where we found so many caches, we had somewhere between 50
      and 100 DNFs that week, but trying to go back and figure out which ones
      those were would be a pain.

      Continue to log the DNFs. It is so very gratifying to be able to avenge
      that DNF on a future visit.

      Funny side point. I am one stubborn cacher too. It takes a lot to pull
      me away from GZ without the find. I drive my family crazy sometimes and
      likely other cachers, for they want to move on and I'm driven to find
      it. Just a HiDude quirk. :)

      -paul
      HiDude_98

      Jay Bingham wrote:

      Thanks Paul, all this while I was feeling good when I got my DNF’s to less than 10% of all my finds. L

      Currently my raw count of DNFs is 82 or 9.94% of all attempts to find a cache that I have made. The first cache that I ever attempted we did not find so at that point my DNF count was 1 but my percentage was 100%, we found the next nine which steadily decreased my DNF percentage from 50% to 10%, since then the highest it has been is 28.57% (10 of 35) and the lowest it has been is 9.53% (63 of 661).

      Another statistic that I keep is my find percentage for distinct caches, which means that I went back and found some of those that I had DNFed, of course some of them really were not there, so I had no opportunity to redeem myself. The DNF count for that is 48 of 791 caches or 6.07%.

      I tend to log all my DNF’s although I have omitted a few that I found on a second attempt within 24 hours of having not found it.

      I don’t know where that puts me in the running for King of DNF’s but I have Paul beat in the percentage category if not in the raw numbers.

      --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
      |+| Georgetown , TX USA

    • Jay Bingham
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2013

        Tom,

        Thanks for the info, I just joined, gave you credit for the referral.

        --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

        Jay Bingham wrote:

        Thanks Paul, all this while I was feeling good when I got my DNF’s to less than 10% of all my finds. L

        Currently my raw count of DNFs is 82 or 9.94% of all attempts to find a cache that I have made. The first cache that I ever attempted we did not find so at that point my DNF count was 1 but my percentage was 100%, we found the next nine which steadily decreased my DNF percentage from 50% to 10%, since then the highest it has been is 28.57% (10 of 35) and the lowest it has been is 9.53% (63 of 661).

        Another statistic that I keep is my find percentage for distinct caches, which means that I went back and found some of those that I had DNFed, of course some of them really were not there, so I had no opportunity to redeem myself. The DNF count for that is 48 of 791 caches or 6.07%.

        I tend to log all my DNF’s although I have omitted a few that I found on a second attempt within 24 hours of having not found it.

        I don’t know where that puts me in the running for King of DNF’s but I have Paul beat in the percentage category if not in the raw numbers.

        --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
        |+| Georgetown , TX USA

      • indigo_parrish
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 4, 2013

          --- In centraltexasgeocachers@yahoogroups.com, <electric_water_boy@...> wrote:

           There's a Facebook group for you!  ISAG - I Suck At Geocaching!  Some of us here are members of that group.  We proudly log our DNF's, and sometimes they have better logs than our finds.

          One of my favorite caching stories of all time is related in my DNF log here:

          http://coord.info/GL1MBM00

          'Welcome to Minnesota' indeed

          -Keith (aka King of the DNFs)

          Jay Bingham wrote:

          Thanks Paul, all this while I was feeling good when I got my DNF’s to less than 10% of all my finds. L

          Currently my raw count of DNFs is 82 or 9.94% of all attempts to find a cache that I have made. The first cache that I ever attempted we did not find so at that point my DNF count was 1 but my percentage was 100%, we found the next nine which steadily decreased my DNF percentage from 50% to 10%, since then the highest it has been is 28.57% (10 of 35) and the lowest it has been is 9.53% (63 of 661).

          Another statistic that I keep is my find percentage for distinct caches, which means that I went back and found some of those that I had DNFed, of course some of them really were not there, so I had no opportunity to redeem myself. The DNF count for that is 48 of 791 caches or 6.07%.

          I tend to log all my DNF’s although I have omitted a few that I found on a second attempt within 24 hours of having not found it.

          I don’t know where that puts me in the running for King of DNF’s but I have Paul beat in the percentage category if not in the raw numbers.

          --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
          |+| Georgetown , TX USA

        • Paul Albers
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 4, 2013
            Great story. We had a similar experience going into Edmonton last year. I walked right through,
            went and found some caches and then I went to pick up Ryan at the airport to start our hiking
            across Alberta geocaching trip. He was detained for three hours. We were going to rough it
            in the woods. They didn't like that at all. It went down hill for him quickly after that. What finally
            got him through was a lengthy conversation we had back and forth via texts that day and
            prior week. If not for that, they were not going to allow him into Canada.

            The agent said, "On a good day I can keep 6 out of 10 from entering". His goal is to not allow
            people into their country. I was floored. We actually wrote a letter of complaint to their government
            and got a response which was 100% in support of this. Great stories, but be prepared for delays.
            I was lucky and the agent I talked with knew about geocaching and as the planner, I had printouts
            of every stop and location along the way. Helps to have more than you think you need on you,
            itinerary, photos like Keith had, cell phone conversations, email, etc...

            -paul
            HiDude_98

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 4, 2013
              bless your heart... you clearly dangerous individual.
              (We may pick your brain about Amsterdam, though)

              Barb = anticipating a trip = Tygress

              Jay Bingham wrote:

              Thanks Paul, all this while I was feeling good when I got my DNF’s to less than 10% of all my finds. L

              Currently my raw count of DNFs is 82 or 9.94% of all attempts to find a cache that I have made. The first cache that I ever attempted we did not find so at that point my DNF count was 1 but my percentage was 100%, we found the next nine which steadily decreased my DNF percentage from 50% to 10%, since then the highest it has been is 28.57% (10 of 35) and the lowest it has been is 9.53% (63 of 661).

              Another statistic that I keep is my find percentage for distinct caches, which means that I went back and found some of those that I had DNFed, of course some of them really were not there, so I had no opportunity to redeem myself. The DNF count for that is 48 of 791 caches or 6.07%.

              I tend to log all my DNF’s although I have omitted a few that I found on a second attempt within 24 hours of having not found it.

              I don’t know where that puts me in the running for King of DNF’s but I have Paul beat in the percentage category if not in the raw numbers.

              --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
              |+| Georgetown , TX USA
              |-- “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.�

            • s6sputnik
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 4, 2013
                Great border stories ...I know the drill from living close to borders (Denmark, Arizona, Michigan and Ontario). USA/Canada border is the most miserable border to cross !!! Must have done it 100 times and hated every one!

                My personal lessons are...

                1) Don't Drive from Detroit to London ONT to try on bridesmaids gowns (wife not me) and return to the border 2.5 hours later.  (car drug search entering Canada)

                2) Don't go to visit a group of friends camping in a provincial park on Lake Huron with your 4 year old daughter while mom is off to a Tennis tournament. (Random interrogation real random???) (Entering Canada)

                3) Don't try to bring 12 too many Labats Blue into Canada it will costs you x2 in taxes, or you can donate it to the Crown (my choice) I drink Texas beer now. My wife told the Canadian customs guy that Canada could screw off and 4 months later she was a US Citizen. (Entering Canada)

                4) Went to an island up near Kingston area with my Daughter meeting family from Ohio (you guessed it) another.. RANDOM interrogation..lets face it, it was not RANDOM (nothing like having Canadian Helga interrogate you in front of your freaking out 5 year old kid). (Entering Canada)

                5) Traveling on a Danish passport gets your car searched for pornographic materials entering the US from Canada...(My dad) (Entering USA)

                6) Traveling with someone who has a Diplomatic Passport from Mexico gets you 45 minutes of B.S. at the US border. (They cannot touch you, but they sure can talk to you and tell you what they think of you) (Entering USA)

                Fact is that crossing borders is dicey even though it should not be, and no one has as much power as a border security guard!

                Funny thing is that I was harassed less getting in and out of the DDR and CSSR in 1982 and 1984!

                Cheers from safely behind my desk!

                Shawn/S6sputnik

                indigo.parrish@... wrote:

                One of my favorite caching stories of all time is related in my DNF log here:

                http://coord.info/GL1MBM00

                'Welcome to Minnesota' indeed

                -Keith (aka King of the DNFs)

              • Dave Read
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 4, 2013

                  My employer is a Canadian company, so I am up there on a semi-regular basis, around 3-4x annually. The CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) is notorious for grilling people on entry. My company gives us "official" letters explaining why we are going to Canada and explaining all the hardware (usually phones/laptops) that we are bringing, and yet the last trip I made (Montreal in May) I was detained for a few minutes and questioned about why so many trips to Canada, where I was going, what I would be doing, etc. It verges on the ridiculous…and I bet that anything that is even slightly out of the ordinary gets them even more wound up.

                  Moral of the story: go prepared. Bringing good documentation is a really good idea.

                  From: <indigo.parrish@...>
                  Date: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:48 AM
                  To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

                  Jay Bingham wrote:

                  Thanks Paul, all this while I was feeling good when I got my DNF’s to less than 10% of all my finds. L

                  Currently my raw count of DNFs is 82 or 9.94% of all attempts to find a cache that I have made. The first cache that I ever attempted we did not find so at that point my DNF count was 1 but my percentage was 100%, we found the next nine which steadily decreased my DNF percentage from 50% to 10%, since then the highest it has been is 28.57% (10 of 35) and the lowest it has been is 9.53% (63 of 661).

                  Another statistic that I keep is my find percentage for distinct caches, which means that I went back and found some of those that I had DNFed, of course some of them really were not there, so I had no opportunity to redeem myself. The DNF count for that is 48 of 791 caches or 6.07%.

                  I tend to log all my DNF’s although I have omitted a few that I found on a second attempt within 24 hours of having not found it.

                  I don’t know where that puts me in the running for King of DNF’s but I have Paul beat in the percentage category if not in the raw numbers.

                  --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
                  |+| Georgetown , TX USA

                • Jay Bingham
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 4, 2013

                    Great story indeed, but this is not a new phenomenon, even though it may be more frequent now with the whole world on terrorist alert. Back In March of 1977, ages ago I know so it is not even Geocaching related, I was returning to the US after spending a month in the Netherlands on a work assignment. I was pulled in for an interview by customs, not sure what triggered it other than I was one of the first through customs and was a twenty something guy sporting a mustache. The agent that interviewed me was totally cool, he did not even hassle me about the big ball of Edam or was it Gouda , I can’t remember, I had bought in Amsterdam . However, the agent in the next room, whom I could overhear, interviewing that poor soul, was a total jerk. Making accusations rather than asking questions and generally being very unpleasant and obnoxious; just what every tired traveler looks forward to after an 8 hour overnight flight from Amsterdam to Chicago , not. Although I was not happy to have been pulled in for an interview I was at least relieved that I had not come through either a little sooner or a little later and got that guy. I probably would have had to donate my cheese to the customs service.

                    --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX