Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Challenge Caches and Virtuals

  • s6sputnik
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
      I agree...the Challenges and Events   are alright in my book!

      You could always come up with a made up hider that starts with a 6,7,8 or 9 (hint: I need thoses)

      Cheers,

      Shawn/S6sputnik

      In a message dated 8/26/2013 11:14:28 A.M. Central Daylight Time, electric_water_boy@... writes:

      I ahve to disagree about the Challenge Caches. I have yet to see one of these hides that is supposed to challenge the cacher with finding the cache, but rather in completing the goal. If the hider has met the goal, then log the cache.

      How many Challenge Caches is a person going to hide? Realisticly 1 or 2. But for giggles let's say 10. When a cacher gets into the 1,000's of finds, is that 10 going to make a noticable percentage of their finds?

      The numbers mean a little to me, but the experiences mean a lot more.

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
        hmm....
        You know, I'm a coin flip from saying go ahead and log your Challenge. After all, challenges are rather like events -- the work was done, claim the smile.  The hide itself is not the point of a Challenge (usually).
        It surely wouldn't bother *me* (unless you started doing a LOT of it to pad your numbers). OTOH, log or not, I probably wouldn't even notice. [Needing to fill 8 D/T holes (obviously, I'm REAL motivated about that), I should look at your Challenges, though.]

        So cache with your own conscience -- I would only *recommend* not claiming FTF on 'em, because that IS seen as bad form/insider trading.

        Virtuals? Visit them is my call. Arm Chair virtual logging has caused  many to get shut down (like the Dallas house); and, as Russ said, why there are so few in Europe. Which is a pity for travellers who enjoy the guided tour a virtual can give.
        Same for Earthcaches and waymarks.

        But again, that's MY conscience at work, abetted by having seen actual damage when the armchair logging gets out of hand.

        -BarbJ/Golden Rule/Tygress

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
          That is the thing about geocaching. Everyone plays by their own rules. For the most part, that works out pretty good. I know people who will log an cache if they get within a mile of it. Others log virtuals/earth caches all over the world. And, there is a guy in Yuma who will go caching with friends, but if he doesn't make the actual find, he will never log it. That is just how he plays.

          There are probably 100s of virtuals I could log that I have visited --- before they were virtual caches. Still, I will not log them unless I return to the cache site. I had a guy who wanted to log one of my earth caches because he had visited the site years earlier and I told him I did not think it was fair. He was truly upset. (He has since been kicked out of geocaching.)

          Personally, I would love to see virtual make a comeback....as long as they are strictly reviewed. I was able to get a virtual approved back before they were banned and it gets lots of visits. I spent an hour in historic Philadelphia hunting a virtual where I had to answer 'what happened on this site in 1896'. I found a sign stating 'In 1896, nothing happened here'.

          By the way, I only found on virtual named Heartbreak Hotel - it is in Australia. Am I missing something?

          One last thought on Challenge Caches. I did not think you could publish a challenge unless you could already meet the requirements yourself. Am I wrong? I am not sure I would ever log one of my own caches - even an event or a challenge. In southern New Mexico, there is a series of 37 challenges. It is a great desert hike if anyone is interested.

          Racer57

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
            That's because it's really GCHPHA Down at the End of Lonely Street  ... not exactly Heartbreak Hotel.
            -BarbJ/Tygress

            That is the thing about geocaching.  Everyone plays by their own rules.  For the most part, that works out pretty good.  I know people who will log an cache if they get within a mile of it.  Others log virtuals/earth caches all over the world.  And, there is a guy in Yuma who will go caching with friends, but if he doesn't make the actual find, he will never log it.  That is just how he plays.

            There are probably 100s of virtuals I could log that I have visited --- before they were virtual caches.  Still, I will not log them unless I return to the cache site.  I had a guy who wanted to log one of my earth caches because he had visited the site years earlier and I told him I did not think it was fair.  He was truly upset.  (He has since been kicked out of geocaching.)

            Personally, I would love to see virtual make a comeback....as long as they are strictly reviewed.  I was able to get a virtual approved back before they were banned and it gets lots of visits.  I spent an hour in historic Philadelphia hunting a virtual where I had to answer 'what happened on this site in 1896'.  I found a sign stating 'In 1896, nothing happened here'.

            By the way, I only found on virtual named Heartbreak Hotel - it is in Australia.  Am I missing something?

            One last thought on Challenge Caches.  I did not think you could publish a challenge unless you could already meet the requirements yourself.  Am I wrong?  I am not sure I would ever log one of my own caches - even an event or a challenge.  In southern New Mexico, there is a series of 37 challenges.  It is a great desert hike if anyone is interested.

            Racer57

            > hmm....You know, I'm a coin flip from saying go ahead and log your Challenge. After all, challenges are rather like events -- the work was done, claim the smile.  The hide itself is not the point of a Challenge (usually).It surely wouldn't bother *me* (unless you started doing a LOT of it to pad your numbers). OTOH, log or not, I probably wouldn't even notice. [Needing to fill 8 D/T holes (obviously, I'm REAL motivated about that), I should look at your Challenges, though.] So cache with your own conscience -- I would only *recommend* not claiming FTF on 'em, because that IS seen as bad form/insider trading.
            > Virtuals? Visit them is my call. Arm Chair virtual logging has caused  many to get shut down (like the Dallas house); and, as Russ said, why there are so few in Europe. Which is a pity for travellers who enjoy the guided tour a virtual can give.Same for Earthcaches and waymarks. But again, that's MY conscience at work, abetted by having seen actual damage when the armchair logging gets out of hand. -BarbJ/Golden Rule/Tygress

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

            One Weird Trick
            Could add $1,000s to Your Social Security Checks! See if you Qualify…
            newsmax.com
          • ROOKEEZ
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
              I have only done one of my own caches. It is a challenge cache called "Pony Express Trail Challenge" and it consists of several thousand miles of travel to complete. Only 10 traditional caches are required but at least one in each state the trail went to/thru. I figured if I had to go to that much trouble I should get to claim it. Check it out (GC1PRHM) Successful completers get to do the final AND get their name on the nice plaque that actually hangs in the Pony Express Stables Museum in St Joseph, MO!!! YOU WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY! Only 14 nameplates on it so far so go for it!

              thanks,
              MO Pirate of St Joseph, MO