Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] What the heck HiDude_98

  • Greg Jewett
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
      Paul -- I would love to have you write your stories and post them to the website.   What a treaure that would be - to have stories from the epic geocacher Hi_Dude98! :)

      Let me know if you are interested! :)

      Greg Jewett
      Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
      (512) 627-7290
      geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com
      http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

      On Aug 21, 2013, at 12:49 pm, Paul Albers <palbers@...> wrote:

      Hehe, this one made me smile!

      Love the story about the guy flying back from New York sitting next to Chris asking about
      TBI. I do miss our caching adventures. I hope they start back up on day!

      Thanks for all the wonderful words. I'm blessed to have my week each year that I can go
      totally insane with caching.

      This last trip we cached 20+ hours each day, in 120+ degree heat. We ate one meal each
      day and then we only stopped for fuel. The two of us went through 150 bottles of water
      and 160 bottles of gatorade over those 8 days. Two of the days we still ended up getting
      dehydrated. The soles of the shoes of Tombmaker! actually melted through to the cloth
      lining. We both lost around 15 pounds. We call it the road trip diet. It took me over a month
      to plot every cache, the precise order, when to stop for fuel, drinks, etc... I had two hotels
      planned and then it was, "if we got lucky, we found a hotel", but often times we just slept in
      the jeep. We jogged or ran when we could to each cache.

      This year, we were trying to outrun a massive lightening storm in the dark. Eventually a massive
      fire was started just behind us from it that is still burning towns have been evacuated from. Guessing
      many of those caches we found may not survive the fire. We got great video of the fire until we
      were 'politely' escorted from the area. The week before we were in the Mojave desert, they had
      .79 inches of water. Doesn't sound like much, but in the desert, that is huge. They hadn't seen that
      much in decades. Well, that meant that many of the routes I had planned were washed out. We
      ended up having dig paths in many spots to created paths through the trenches the water created.
      It was intense! It was FUN!

      That just scratches the surface of an epic journey, and I'm not lying or exaggerating. Sometimes
      it takes unbelievable feats to reach what appears to be exaggerated numbers.

      I hope to tell more stories of our adventures when I see you at an event.

      We found 4450 caches during the 9 days. We cached in NV and ID. We got flat tires on both 4x4s
      that we had, out in the middle of the deserts. Only thing that almost stopped us was when I had
      a long barb of the desert yucca plant drive through my forearm. It was an ugly scene, but we are
      both EMT trained and had a full first kit. It was put to good use and we pushed on. :)

      Sorry, I ramble. It was epic!

      Thanks again everyone!

      -paul
      HiDude_98

      Cacherats! wrote:

      I tell people and they literally think I'm lying or over exaggerating. They just can believe it!

      Christa
      (Cacherats!)

    • Greg Jewett
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
        I am in.  I would love to have the stories written, but I definitely could pull out the old video camera and we could record some of these, merge in content that Paul has and make some great video stories ?!   What do you think Paul??

        Greg Jewett
        Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
        (512) 627-7290
        geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com
        http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

        On Aug 21, 2013, at 01:29 pm, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

        Paul,
        One of these adventures needs to be documented! I wish I knew someone with the resources because your adventures sound WAY better than some of the lame stuff they put on television! I'd watch it and I know lots of others that would as well. Maybe some day!
        Kudos to you and your cohort! I am glad that it all ended well!
        Esther
        aka BGTx

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
          Epic!

          Russ the Waterweasel

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
            Paul, I'm glad Russ isn't the only one who bleeds for caches.... =wink=

            Cacherats! wrote:

            I tell people and they literally think I'm lying or over exaggerating. They just can believe it!

            Christa
            (Cacherats!)

            30-second trick for a flat belly
            TheFatBurningHormone.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
               I'm pretty sure I've filked this one for him like back at 30K.... And, well then. My work here is done.

              From: "alan_tagit" <alan_tagit@...>
              To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:43:07 -0000

              Last time I saw your count it was like 37K+. Now you have more finds than there are messages posted in this forum  (42K+).

              I expect MrsHiDude will be having a celebratory event or creating an honor hide for you...???

              People freak when I tell them some of counts.

              Proud to know of you. :)

              Tom
              TandJ1120

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

              New BlackBerry® Z10
              Discover the BlackBerry Z10, built to keep you moving. Get it today.
              BlackBerry.com

              30-second trick for a flat belly
              TheFatBurningHormone.com
            • Jay Bingham
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013

                Wow, Paul, that sounds like a lot of ‘fun’.

                Congratulations.

                --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
                  Just curious.....why the Movaje desert in the summer?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
                    We are locked to only being able to have our extreme caching trips to the
                    first week of August each year. Last year we road quads in Canada and
                    slept under thermal blankets on the side of an old railroad line with the
                    coyotes. Why not! :-)

                    Maybe the two of us are a little too thick headed, but neither of us are
                    one to back down from a challenge.

                    -paul
                    HiDude_98

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
                      You gotta prove you can still 'rough it' -- while you CAN still 'rough it.' =g=
                      Of course, Susanville had some unusual volcanic attributes in the water... your DNA may be warped. =wink=

                      BarbJ/Tygress

                      Message 11 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
                        We got all the caches around the train this year. It was great to get the Thunderbird in
                        Idaho while there. The train very well could be a good 100 mile hike through the sand
                        and mountains. We figured it would take us five days to complete that, pitching a tent
                        along the way. Hydration is our biggest obstacle. It didn't look like there was much water
                        along the way for a filtration device. There are several entry points that we'd probably
                        stage food and water at.

                        Definitely sounds like a lot of fun and is on the list, likely currently below our next likely,
                        which is 1700 caches on a hike or bike only trail in Canada.

                        -paul
                        HiDude_98