Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] What the heck HiDude_98

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 21 7:25 AM
      He is a phenom, that's for sure.
      But my favorite story (paraphrased) is from his Tush Brother in Crime... riding on a jet, conversing as travelers do with the guy in the next seat, Chris (GeoMire) found that they had geocaching in common.
      His seatmate then said, "Austin, huh? I've heard about these two crazy all night run cachers, what, Butt brothers? ... um? Well, are they for real?"
      "Err. Tush Brothers. And. Yeah. Guilty as charged."

      LOL.
      Now I'm hearing that "He's a maniac, MANIAC" song in my head....

      (way to go, Paul!)

      BarbJ=lollygagger=Tygress

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 21 10:19 AM
        That's funny.

        I tell people I know someone who's found 37K (now 42K) and they mumble "freak". :)
        They just don't understand!

        > He is a phenom, that's for sure.But my favorite story (paraphrased) is from his Tush Brother in Crime... riding on a jet, conversing as travelers do with the guy in the next seat, Chris (GeoMire) found that they had geocaching in common.His seatmate then said, "Austin, huh? I've heard about these two crazy all night run cachers, what, Butt brothers? ... um? Well, are they for real?""Err. Tush Brothers. And. Yeah. Guilty as charged." LOL.Now I'm hearing that "He's a maniac, MANIAC" song in my head.... (way to go, Paul!) BarbJ=lollygagger=Tygress

      • Esther Lopez
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 21 10:22 AM
          Oh Barb, I loved that story! But now I have a visual of Paul sitting in a chair wearing a 'wife beater' and pulling a cord, and getting splashed with water!!!!!
          Some things can't be un-visualized!

          Esther
          aka - BGTx

          p.s. Congrats to Paul and ALL other recent milestoners!

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 21 10:30 AM
            I tell people and they literally think I'm lying or over exaggerating. They just can believe it!

            Christa
            (Cacherats!)

            On 8/21/2013 12:19 PM, alan_tagit wrote:

            That's funny.

            I tell people I know someone who's found 37K (now 42K) and they mumble "freak". :)
            They just don't understand!

            > He is a phenom, that's for sure.But my favorite story (paraphrased) is from his Tush Brother in Crime... riding on a jet, conversing as travelers do with the guy in the next seat, Chris (GeoMire) found that they had geocaching in common.His seatmate then said, "Austin, huh? I've heard about these two crazy all night run cachers, what, Butt brothers? ... um? Well, are they for real?""Err. Tush Brothers. And. Yeah. Guilty as charged." LOL.Now I'm hearing that "He's a maniac, MANIAC" song in my head.... (way to go, Paul!) BarbJ=lollygagger=Tygress

          • Paul Albers
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 21 10:49 AM
              Hehe, this one made me smile!

              Love the story about the guy flying back from New York sitting next to Chris asking about
              TBI. I do miss our caching adventures. I hope they start back up on day!

              Thanks for all the wonderful words. I'm blessed to have my week each year that I can go
              totally insane with caching.

              This last trip we cached 20+ hours each day, in 120+ degree heat. We ate one meal each
              day and then we only stopped for fuel. The two of us went through 150 bottles of water
              and 160 bottles of gatorade over those 8 days. Two of the days we still ended up getting
              dehydrated. The soles of the shoes of Tombmaker! actually melted through to the cloth
              lining. We both lost around 15 pounds. We call it the road trip diet. It took me over a month
              to plot every cache, the precise order, when to stop for fuel, drinks, etc... I had two hotels
              planned and then it was, "if we got lucky, we found a hotel", but often times we just slept in
              the jeep. We jogged or ran when we could to each cache.

              This year, we were trying to outrun a massive lightening storm in the dark. Eventually a massive
              fire was started just behind us from it that is still burning towns have been evacuated from. Guessing
              many of those caches we found may not survive the fire. We got great video of the fire until we
              were 'politely' escorted from the area. The week before we were in the Mojave desert, they had
              .79 inches of water. Doesn't sound like much, but in the desert, that is huge. They hadn't seen that
              much in decades. Well, that meant that many of the routes I had planned were washed out. We
              ended up having dig paths in many spots to created paths through the trenches the water created.
              It was intense! It was FUN!

              That just scratches the surface of an epic journey, and I'm not lying or exaggerating. Sometimes
              it takes unbelievable feats to reach what appears to be exaggerated numbers.

              I hope to tell more stories of our adventures when I see you at an event.

              We found 4450 caches during the 9 days. We cached in NV and ID. We got flat tires on both 4x4s
              that we had, out in the middle of the deserts. Only thing that almost stopped us was when I had
              a long barb of the desert yucca plant drive through my forearm. It was an ugly scene, but we are
              both EMT trained and had a full first kit. It was put to good use and we pushed on. :)

              Sorry, I ramble. It was epic!

              Thanks again everyone!

              -paul
              HiDude_98

              Cacherats! wrote:

              I tell people and they literally think I'm lying or over exaggerating. They just can believe it!

              Christa
              (Cacherats!)

            • arnaud.geo
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 21 11:11 AM
                Paul,

                Congrats on this amazing adventure. I am in owe.

                Arnaud - SoaringEagle.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Albers <palbers@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > it takes unbelievable feats to reach what appears to be exaggerated
                > numbers.
                >
                > I hope to tell more stories of our adventures when I see you at an event.
                >
                > We found 4450 caches during the 9 days. We cached in NV and ID. We got
                > flat tires on both 4x4s
                > that we had, out in the middle of the deserts. Only thing that almost
                > stopped us was when I had
                > a long barb of the desert yucca plant drive through my forearm. It was
                > an ugly scene, but we are
                > both EMT trained and had a full first kit. It was put to good use and we
                > pushed on. :)
                >
                > Sorry, I ramble. It was epic!
                >
                > Thanks again everyone!
                >
                > -paul
                > HiDude_98
                >
                > Cacherats! wrote:
                >

                > > I tell people and they literally think I'm lying or over exaggerating.

              • Esther Lopez
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 21 11:29 AM
                  Paul,
                  One of these adventures needs to be documented! I wish I knew someone with the resources because your adventures sound WAY better than some of the lame stuff they put on television! I'd watch it and I know lots of others that would as well. Maybe some day!
                  Kudos to you and your cohort! I am glad that it all ended well!
                  Esther
                  aka BGTx

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 21 11:37 AM
                    Paul -- I would love to have you write your stories and post them to the website.   What a treaure that would be - to have stories from the epic geocacher Hi_Dude98! :)

                    Let me know if you are interested! :)

                    Greg Jewett
                    Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
                    (512) 627-7290
                    geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com
                    http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 21 11:39 AM
                        Epic!

                        Russ the Waterweasel

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 21 11:44 AM
                          Paul, I'm glad Russ isn't the only one who bleeds for caches.... =wink=

                          Cacherats! wrote:

                          I tell people and they literally think I'm lying or over exaggerating. They just can believe it!

                          Christa
                          (Cacherats!)

                          30-second trick for a flat belly
                          TheFatBurningHormone.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 21 12:18 PM
                             I'm pretty sure I've filked this one for him like back at 30K.... And, well then. My work here is done.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 21 12:20 PM

                              Wow, Paul, that sounds like a lot of ‘fun’.

                              Congratulations.

                              --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 21 12:21 PM
                                Just curious.....why the Movaje desert in the summer?

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 21 12:34 PM
                                  We are locked to only being able to have our extreme caching trips to the
                                  first week of August each year. Last year we road quads in Canada and
                                  slept under thermal blankets on the side of an old railroad line with the
                                  coyotes. Why not! :-)

                                  Maybe the two of us are a little too thick headed, but neither of us are
                                  one to back down from a challenge.

                                  -paul
                                  HiDude_98

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 21 1:09 PM
                                    You gotta prove you can still 'rough it' -- while you CAN still 'rough it.' =g=
                                    Of course, Susanville had some unusual volcanic attributes in the water... your DNA may be warped. =wink=

                                    BarbJ/Tygress

                                    Message 18 of 19 , Aug 21 2:44 PM
                                      We got all the caches around the train this year. It was great to get the Thunderbird in
                                      Idaho while there. The train very well could be a good 100 mile hike through the sand
                                      and mountains. We figured it would take us five days to complete that, pitching a tent
                                      along the way. Hydration is our biggest obstacle. It didn't look like there was much water
                                      along the way for a filtration device. There are several entry points that we'd probably
                                      stage food and water at.

                                      Definitely sounds like a lot of fun and is on the list, likely currently below our next likely,
                                      which is 1700 caches on a hike or bike only trail in Canada.

                                      -paul
                                      HiDude_98