Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Be aware of car burgulars at St. Edwards Park!

  • Mike Detlefsen
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 17, 2013
      Yep. That's been going on for several years, with a few comments on the park description page. I'll only go there if we take someone else's car (after warning them, of course).

      Mike
      jmd65

      On 17 Aug 2013, at 22:08 , cacherats1 wrote:

      > We went to go get a few caches on the trails at St. Edwards today to celebrate International Geocaching Day (and day 17) and came back to the passenger window of our SUV smashed in and my purse which was under the front seat taken. We had to get new locks for our home doors tonight since my keys were in there as well. The cashier at Home Depot said that St. Edwards has had a lot of car break-ins lately because people have come in to get new locks and have mentioned it. We had not heard about that. I wanted to let you all know so the word gets out.
      >
      > My poor, little 6 year old can not understand why anyone would do that to us. Hard lesson learned today. :-(
      >
      > Christa
      > (Mom of the Cacherats!)

    • Greg Jewett

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
          Bummer.  Always a risk but still . . .

          Russ the Waterweasel

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
            I put an article on the website to alert others...

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
              Thanks for the kind words. The police actually found my purse today in a bush on Spicewood Springs. Wallet was still inside with most of what it contained to begin with, but not surprisingly credit cards and my drivers license are gone as well my check book. The most disturbing part is that they kept my keys.
              Thanks, Greg for posting it on the website. I hope it helps people to be a little more aware. We thought we were being cautious by putting my purse under the front seat. We didn't park in the lot, though. We were at one of those little areas at the trail heads that meet the road.

              Thanks again
              Christa
              (Cacherats)

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Greg Jewett <geojewett@...> wrote:

              > I put an article on the website to alert others...
              >

              > On Aug 18, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Russ Jernigan <waterweasel@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Bummer. Always a risk but still . . .
              > >

              > > Russ the Waterweasel

            • Indigo Parrish
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "cacherats1" <cacherats1@...> wrote:

                > We went to go get a few caches on the trails at St. Edwards today to celebrate International Geocaching Day (and day 17) and came back to the passenger window of our SUV smashed in and my purse which was under the front seat taken. We had to get new locks for our home doors tonight since my keys were in there as well. The cashier at Home Depot said that St. Edwards has had a lot of car break-ins lately because people have come in to get new locks and have mentioned it. We had not heard about that. I wanted to let you all know so the word gets out.
                >
                > My poor, little 6 year old can not understand why anyone would do that to us. Hard lesson learned today. :-(

                Oh man that's terrible. That happened to me once in Oklahoma City back in college. I was driving back to UT and stayed the night there at a La Quinta and heard my driver window smash right outside my motel door. I opened it and confronted the perp and told him I was calling 911. He said "you go ahead". So I went back in and did. And he ran off. Nothing was taken (I was a student and owned literally nothing at all of value) but I got to drive back to Austin with an open window and glass shards that never, ever seemed to be completely cleaned away. :(

                Hope you get things sorted out without too much more grief :(

                -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
              • arnaud.geo
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
                  Christa,

                  Very sorry to hear about it. Very unfortunate that a fun family adventure turned into an ordeal.

                  Thanks for the warning and a good reminder to always be aware of the environment that we cache in.

                  Arnaud - SoaringEagle