Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: What is the best navigation map/gpsr for Galaxy 4 phone?

    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 13, 2013
      thanks!
      I only use the phone for very light caching; but usage datapoints are useful!
      BarbJ/now to remember/Tygress

      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 13, 2013
        Thanks for all the responses. I hadn't heard of some of these apps so I'm glad I asked. I'm especially grateful to know that I can input waypoints on the GC.com app. I didn't realize I could do that and it's what I was looking to do before I asked my question. I find it odd, though, that once the coords are input as a new waypoint, I can't go back and see what I input. I wonder why GC wouldn't have put that in there. Seems like a natural thing to go back and check the coordinates.
        Thanks again!
        Christa
        (Mom of the Cacherats!)

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "cacherats1" <cnratcliff@...> wrote:

        > I have a Garmin Oregon that I mostly use when I need to input coordinates for mystery caches, etc. Sometimes, though, I need to put in coordinates on my phone. Google Earth/Maps always takes me to the nearest house- even if I'm in the middle of a trail in the woods.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions on map app that will take me to the exact coordinates that I input?
        >
        > Can the Geocaching.com Android app be used for this type of Geocache? If so, how can input the solved coordinates?
        >
        > Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Christa
        > (Mom of the Cacherats!)

      • Sean C
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 13, 2013
          on a PC, you can put "loc:" in front of the coordinates, and then it forces the marker to the exact spot on the map.

          -sean

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "cacherats1" <cnratcliff@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have any suggestions on map app that will take me to the exact coordinates that I input?

        • Denise Vajdak
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 15, 2013

            CacheSense also shows Munzees if you do those. 2 for 1 app. :-)

            Denise Vajdak
            tx.ag/denise

            On Aug 11, 2013 4:43 PM, "Esther Lopez" <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

            Oh that Android app that Bill uses (CacheSense) has the COOLEST feature ever! It will draw a 1/10th for a mile radius circle around an existing cache to show if you can't place a cache. Man, I sure could use that feature! Too bad I have an iPhone!
            Bummer!!!!
            Esther/BGTx

            I use CacheSense it allows you to create waypoints and navigate to those points.  Also it will navigate you to the corrected cords for puzzle caches if you put in the corrected or solved for cords into the cache page on the website.

            --
            ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
            Bill
            a.k.a ZionZR2
            512-789-1469
            <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

          • A
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 17, 2013
              I have an android phone and use c:geo. I like it for the most part.
              Will any of the other apps navigate by street to the closest place accessible by car? It would be helpful for urban/neighborhood caches. I can put the coordinates into my car navigation system and get guidance that way, but its rather tedious to type in coordinates.

              Thanks
              Amy (GS589)

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:

              > CacheSense also shows Munzees if you do those. 2 for 1 app. :-)
              >
              > Denise Vajdak
              > tx.ag/denise
              > On Aug 11, 2013 4:43 PM, "Esther Lopez" <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Oh that Android app that Bill uses (CacheSense) has the COOLEST feature
              > > ever! It will draw a 1/10th for a mile radius circle around an existing
              > > cache to show if you can't place a cache. Man, I sure could use that
              > > feature! Too bad I have an iPhone!
              > > Bummer!!!!
              > > Esther/BGTx
              > >

              > > ------------------------------

            • Mike Detlefsen
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 17, 2013
                On 17 Aug 2013, at 14:25 , A wrote:

                > Will any of the other apps navigate by street to the closest place accessible by car?

                GeOrg has a menu option to navigate to the cache by Google Navigation. I use it for most caches I go after.

                Mike
                jmd65
              • Bill Ellis
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 17, 2013

                  Cachesense has a menu option for driving directions it uses the google maps navigation. I use this feature to get me there then use the app's compas.

                • A
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 17, 2013
                    I just figured out c:geo has the same option for driving navigation that I never noticed before. Thanks for the info.
                    Amy (GS589)

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

                    > Cachesense has a menu option for driving directions it uses the google maps
                    > navigation. I use this feature to get me there then use the app's compas.
                    > On Aug 17, 2013 2:26 PM, "A" <barneycats@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > I have an android phone and use c:geo. I like it for the most part.
                    > > Will any of the other apps navigate by street to the closest place
                    > > accessible by car? It would be helpful for urban/neighborhood caches. I can
                    > > put the coordinates into my car navigation system and get guidance that
                    > > way, but its rather tedious to type in coordinates.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > > Amy (GS589)
                    > >
                    > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak
                    > > <denise.vajdak@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > CacheSense also shows Munzees if you do those. 2 for 1 app. :-)
                    > > >
                    > > > Denise Vajdak
                    > > > tx.ag/denise

                  • Greg Jewett
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 18, 2013
                      Esther --

                      There is a couple of really good iPhone apps for Geocaching that do just that.  Since cacheSense is a 3rd party product - developed outside of Geocaching.com, they can add any number of features that they want.   So -- there are other apps for the iPhone that allow you to do this as well, check them out:

                      • Geosphere (highly recommended)
                      • iGeoCacher
                      • iGCT
                      • GCTools