Re: What is the best navigation map/gpsr for Galaxy 4 phone?

  • hook_em_horns12
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 12, 2013
      Christa -

      You can input coordinates using the geocaching app on Android. While in map mode hit the menu button, then press "Add Waypoint". You can then enter the new coordinates and it will show up as a flag on your map. Be sure to change the default longitude settings to W or it will appear your next stage is several thousand miles away! The main drawback to this is that you cannot go back and see or edit the coordinates you input for that waypoint.

      See you on the trail.

      Mike (365geo)
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 13, 2013
        thanks!
        I only use the phone for very light caching; but usage datapoints are useful!
        BarbJ/now to remember/Tygress

        You can input coordinates using the geocaching app on Android. While in map mode hit the menu button, then press "Add Waypoint". You can then enter the new coordinates and it will show up as a flag on your map. Be sure to change the default longitude settings to W or it will appear your next stage is several thousand miles away! The main drawback to this is that you cannot go back and see or edit the coordinates you input for that waypoint.

        See you on the trail.

        Mike (365geo)

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        Norwegian Cruise Line
        Cruise Like a Norwegian. Hawaii cruises starting at $1249. Book Now.
        ncl.com
      • cacherats1
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 13, 2013
          Thanks for all the responses. I hadn't heard of some of these apps so I'm glad I asked. I'm especially grateful to know that I can input waypoints on the GC.com app. I didn't realize I could do that and it's what I was looking to do before I asked my question. I find it odd, though, that once the coords are input as a new waypoint, I can't go back and see what I input. I wonder why GC wouldn't have put that in there. Seems like a natural thing to go back and check the coordinates.
          Thanks again!
          Christa
          (Mom of the Cacherats!)

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "cacherats1" <cnratcliff@...> wrote:

          > I have a Garmin Oregon that I mostly use when I need to input coordinates for mystery caches, etc. Sometimes, though, I need to put in coordinates on my phone. Google Earth/Maps always takes me to the nearest house- even if I'm in the middle of a trail in the woods.
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions on map app that will take me to the exact coordinates that I input?
          >
          > Can the Geocaching.com Android app be used for this type of Geocache? If so, how can input the solved coordinates?
          >
          > Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Christa
          > (Mom of the Cacherats!)

        • Sean C
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 13, 2013
            on a PC, you can put "loc:" in front of the coordinates, and then it forces the marker to the exact spot on the map.

            -sean

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "cacherats1" <cnratcliff@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have any suggestions on map app that will take me to the exact coordinates that I input?

          • Denise Vajdak
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 15, 2013

              CacheSense also shows Munzees if you do those. 2 for 1 app. :-)

              Denise Vajdak
              tx.ag/denise

              On Aug 11, 2013 4:43 PM, "Esther Lopez" <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

              Oh that Android app that Bill uses (CacheSense) has the COOLEST feature ever! It will draw a 1/10th for a mile radius circle around an existing cache to show if you can't place a cache. Man, I sure could use that feature! Too bad I have an iPhone!
              Bummer!!!!
              Esther/BGTx

              I use CacheSense it allows you to create waypoints and navigate to those points.  Also it will navigate you to the corrected cords for puzzle caches if you put in the corrected or solved for cords into the cache page on the website.

              --
              ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
              Bill
              a.k.a ZionZR2
              512-789-1469
              <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

            • A
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 17, 2013
                I have an android phone and use c:geo. I like it for the most part.
                Will any of the other apps navigate by street to the closest place accessible by car? It would be helpful for urban/neighborhood caches. I can put the coordinates into my car navigation system and get guidance that way, but its rather tedious to type in coordinates.

                Thanks
                Amy (GS589)

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@...> wrote:

                > CacheSense also shows Munzees if you do those. 2 for 1 app. :-)
                >
                > Denise Vajdak
                > tx.ag/denise
                > On Aug 11, 2013 4:43 PM, "Esther Lopez" <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Oh that Android app that Bill uses (CacheSense) has the COOLEST feature
                > > ever! It will draw a 1/10th for a mile radius circle around an existing
                > > cache to show if you can't place a cache. Man, I sure could use that
                > > feature! Too bad I have an iPhone!
                > > Bummer!!!!
                > > Esther/BGTx
                > >

                > > ------------------------------

              • Mike Detlefsen
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 17, 2013
                  On 17 Aug 2013, at 14:25 , A wrote:

                  > Will any of the other apps navigate by street to the closest place accessible by car?

                  GeOrg has a menu option to navigate to the cache by Google Navigation. I use it for most caches I go after.

                  Mike
                  jmd65
                • Bill Ellis
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 17, 2013

                    Cachesense has a menu option for driving directions it uses the google maps navigation. I use this feature to get me there then use the app's compas.

                  • A
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 17, 2013
                      I just figured out c:geo has the same option for driving navigation that I never noticed before. Thanks for the info.
                      Amy (GS589)

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

                      > Cachesense has a menu option for driving directions it uses the google maps
                      > navigation. I use this feature to get me there then use the app's compas.
                      > On Aug 17, 2013 2:26 PM, "A" <barneycats@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > I have an android phone and use c:geo. I like it for the most part.
                      > > Will any of the other apps navigate by street to the closest place
                      > > accessible by car? It would be helpful for urban/neighborhood caches. I can
                      > > put the coordinates into my car navigation system and get guidance that
                      > > way, but its rather tedious to type in coordinates.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks
                      > > Amy (GS589)
                      > >
                      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak
                      > > <denise.vajdak@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > CacheSense also shows Munzees if you do those. 2 for 1 app. :-)
                      > > >
                      > > > Denise Vajdak
                      > > > tx.ag/denise

                    • Greg Jewett
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 18, 2013
                        Esther --

                        There is a couple of really good iPhone apps for Geocaching that do just that.  Since cacheSense is a 3rd party product - developed outside of Geocaching.com, they can add any number of features that they want.   So -- there are other apps for the iPhone that allow you to do this as well, check them out:

                        • Geosphere (highly recommended)
                        • iGeoCacher
                        • iGCT
                        • GCTools