Re: Quick note about the Texas 50 State Star series

  • danny_c_champion
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10, 2013
      Since I am ready to head up to the 50 Stars, I thought I would chime in on the discussion.

      I have been stopped several times over the years and asked what I was doing. It was never a problem until I moved to central Texas. I was even stopped by the border patrol in southern New Mexico - about a mile from Mexico (imagine four guys with backpack tromping through the desert for no apparent reason). A smile, a pleasant attitude, and an explanation was all that was ever needed to defuse a tense situation.

      Shortly after I moved here, I was in the Elgin area and had a run-in with a lady who claimed I was trespassing. I tried the smile/nice attitude/good manners/explain about geocaching routine and she would have none of it. I provided her with my name, car tag, kept my hands where she could see them and obeyed everything she asked of me. Before it was over, she called the police and she followed me most of the way home.

      As a non-Texan, I assume that everyone who stops me on a rural road is carrying a weapon, so I felt it was to everyone's benefit for me to just leave. Still, I doubt that I will be geocaching in the Elgin area anytime soon.

      Danny (Racer57)