Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: to replace or not to replace -- hey n ew cachers!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2013
      The ET Highway and like power runs are special cache cases, and the replacement/swap down the line is recommended by the CACHE OWNERS. Right there on the cace page (or in prep materials). That said, on the associated (same area) ABC run, in more than one spot we found multiple caches. Though, to be fair to those who came later, those hides were film cans chucked in chamisa bushes, not nice little URPs that squirrels and cattle like to raid. ["Film cans.... yummy."]
      HOWEVER, and here is to my point, there are caches in the areas of Power Runs that are treated as if they are part of the series and they are clearly NOT. Their pages say SPECIFICALLY not to swap containers/logs, etc. But people blow them off. Some because they're only looking at GC#s/Names and not the cache page, some because they don't care. They also drive routes that they are specifically and adamantly told to walk. That's ill-considered caching, and the sort of thing that gets us banned.

      As finders we all have over eager moments. And I've made that lecture before.

      Every cacher is different; every hider is different.... and while we know how we got to OUR count, it's ill-conceived (not to mention fruitless) to worry about others'.
      A modicum of tolerance, and, more, compassion -- which is to put yourself in the other cachers' shoes, or the local muggles, for that matter -- goes the long way. [And we're GOOD at the long way.]
      You don't have to agree to let folks have their play -- we're ALL judgemental.
      BUT, while the CO isn't God, the CO is the final arbiter on their cache -- sensible to you or not.

      So, again, I say to newcomers and everyone: know your CO. Just because one allows something (like replacing) doesn't mean another will.
      When in doubt, DNF -- and believe me, I hate those blue frowns as much as the next person. They represent MORE work -- takes me a LOT longer NOT to find something, and I still give good log -- not to mention the possibility of a total oops/geosense fart, and, come on, the ego wants to be a super hero.

      Be nice. Nice is good.

      BarbJ = *PLAY* on = Tygress