Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] to replace or not to replace -- hey new c achers!

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
      Sorry about the double post -- my email burped.

      Barb - [I blame the ads] - Tygress

      Stand With Our President
      Tell Congress: It's time to raise the minimum wage. Sign the petition!
      democraticgovernors.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2013
        *I* am innocent (THIS TIME), Ray. :D

        Barb =really tired of streaming ads whomping on my processor speed, though=Tygress

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2013
          Oh, for sure, John. They need a 'did not attempt' or 'aborted attempt' category. But Notes do, if you insist on tracking for yourself.
          And the 'Needs Archived' is a mighty gun -- the trigger should be pulled only in noxious cases (unmaintained for months, dnfs with no response upon query, etc)
          I forgive learning curve, too...

          BarbJ - no false humility here, I really do mess up too often to track - Tygress

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2013
            I was lucky -- a bad driving muggle had bent it up so it was obvious. [Hidden by TreyB.] I do remember thinking with wonder: "These suckers LIFT!!!"
            And I still appreciate the gimme on occasion, especially when I need some fast cache.

            BarbJ = lift of my light = Tygress

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2013
              That's exactly my reaction for my first LPC (by WeAreGaughen). I had searched and searched and finally leaned back on the LP base while scratching my head and...whoa!

              > I was lucky -- a bad driving muggle had bent it up so it was obvious. [Hidden by TreyB.] I do remember thinking with wonder: "These suckers LIFT!!!"And I still appreciate the gimme on occasion, especially when I need some fast cache. BarbJ = lift of my light = Tygress

            • Jay Bingham
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2013

                Toni,

                I just want to let you know that I was not trying to be harsh or judgmental in my original post. I was just wanted to help and possibly make you and others aware of some of the ramifications of invitations to replace caches when they can’t be found, just in case you had not thought of them. So sorry if I sounded harsh, I understand where you were coming from.

                I remember the first LPC I found, a puzzle cache hidden by none other than HighDude_98. I would have never found it if it hadn’t been for the fact that the container (a film can) was holding one side of the skirt up just a little. After scratching my head for a while I noticed that anomaly and lifted it up. I was talking to HighDude_98 a while later at an event about it and he said something that I still remember, “Even lamp post caches were rated a 2 or 3 when people first started putting them out.” To someone who has never seen one they can be extremely difficult, made more so by the fact that because you don’t know the secret there just doesn’t seem to be anyplace that it could be and yet it is rated 1 of 1.5. That was how I felt in Albuquerque when I DNF’d the first LPC that I attempted and the description even said it was an LPC, which of course I had no idea what the meant. I found it on a later trip.

                --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > Stand With Our President
                > Tell Congress: It's time to raise the minimum wage. Sign the petition!
                > democraticgovernors.org

                > 30-second trick for a flat belly
                > This daily 30-second trick BOOSTS your body's #1 fat-burning hormone

                href="http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5204e3b8e937263b80771st01vuc">http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5204e3b8e937263b80771st01vuc

              • Jestr
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 2013
                  I recall a time when trying to walk a new friend through finding a LPC and told her to 'lift the skirt'. She kept looking around the grill in the ground, thinking Marilyn Monroe's skirt blowing scene. So we all have our own perceptions.

                  Jeri/JestrRulz

                  On Aug 9, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                  Toni,

                  I just want to let you know that I was not trying to be harsh or judgmental in my original post. I was just wanted to help and possibly make you and others aware of some of the ramifications of invitations to replace caches when they can’t be found, just in case you had not thought of them. So sorry if I sounded harsh, I understand where you were coming from.

                  I remember the first LPC I found, a puzzle cache hidden by none other than HighDude_98. I would have never found it if it hadn’t been for the fact that the container (a film can) was holding one side of the skirt up just a little. After scratching my head for a while I noticed that anomaly and lifted it up. I was talking to HighDude_98 a while later at an event about it and he said something that I still remember, “Even lamp post caches were rated a 2 or 3 when people first started putting them out.” To someone who has never seen one they can be extremely difficult, made more so by the fact that because you don’t know the secret there just doesn’t seem to be anyplace that it could be and yet it is rated 1 of 1.5. That was how I felt in Albuquerque when I DNF’d the first LPC that I attempted and the description even said it was an LPC, which of course I had no idea what the meant. I found it on a later trip.

                  --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
                  |+| Georgetown , TX USA

                  That's exactly my reaction for my first LPC (by WeAreGaughen). I had searched and searched and finally leaned back on the LP base while scratching my head and...whoa!

                  > I was lucky -- a bad driving muggle had bent it up so it was obvious. [Hidden by TreyB.] I do remember thinking with wonder: "These suckers LIFT!!!"And I still appreciate the gimme on occasion, especially when I need some fast cache. BarbJ = lift of my light = Tygress

                • Kay Dennis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 10, 2013
                    Yes, Jestr, I did think of Marilyn Monroe! Made perfect sense to me at the time. And in the end--got that cache.  My first :-)

                    Parrothedkay/Kay

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 19, 2013
                      Not bad from afar. I still wish there had been a video of it. Hahaha

                      JestrRulz / Jeri