Replace Caches

  • Toni
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2013
      For any of you who have some of my caches on your list to do this month, a hint to the wise would be to take a replacement cache. Most of the ones you may want to pick of mine for the 31 days of August may be the easy peasy ones. As some of you may know, my caches have been disappearing at an alarming rate. If it was just a matter of, "Well, got to replace another one" for me then I wouldn't care; no big deal. However, I feel bad for the geocaching community who is taking the time to solve a puzzle or just find an easy cache for the day and it's not there. For your trouble, feel free to claim an extra smiley if you wish for your troubles.

      TattooBarbie
    • Toni
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2013
        Here's my 5th one missing for the week. Take Happy Festivus off your list because I'm going to archive it.

        Be prepared to replace Capitol Idea, TBM - Apple Bonkers, or Stately Baker's Dozen. Someone already replaced Concentration. Or, if you don't like to replace caches, don't put them on your list for August. I'd hate for you to go to all that trouble during August streak time.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni" <tfbrown@...> wrote:

        > For any of you who have some of my caches on your list to do this month, a hint to the wise would be to take a replacement cache. Most of the ones you may want to pick of mine for the 31 days of August may be the easy peasy ones. As some of you may know, my caches have been disappearing at an alarming rate. If it was just a matter of, "Well, got to replace another one" for me then I wouldn't care; no big deal. However, I feel bad for the geocaching community who is taking the time to solve a puzzle or just find an easy cache for the day and it's not there. For your trouble, feel free to claim an extra smiley if you wish for your troubles.
        >
        > TattooBarbie

      • Matthew A
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2013
          If a cache is rated 2 difficulty or higher, usually the hide could be well cammoed or hidden better than in plain sight. What if somebody replaces your hide in a different place you had originally hid the cache? What if they can't find it and now they replace with a new container and both containers are there now? It's usually best if the owner replaces the hide or a previous finder who knows the exact location.

          Matthew

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni" <tfbrown@...> wrote:

          > For any of you who have some of my caches on your list to do this month, a hint to the wise would be to take a replacement cache. Most of the ones you may want to pick of mine for the 31 days of August may be the easy peasy ones. As some of you may know, my caches have been disappearing at an alarming rate. If it was just a matter of, "Well, got to replace another one" for me then I wouldn't care; no big deal. However, I feel bad for the geocaching community who is taking the time to solve a puzzle or just find an easy cache for the day and it's not there. For your trouble, feel free to claim an extra smiley if you wish for your troubles.
          >
          > TattooBarbie

        • Jay Bingham
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2013

            I have to agree with Matthew, asking/allowing just anyone to replace a cache just because they could not find it is a recipe for disaster. Often the result is that you end up with two containers within a few feet of each other. Personally I would include caches that are rated at 1.5 difficulty in the group that should not be just willy-nilly replaced, I have found many that were rated this easy that were more difficult to find than some that were rated more difficult. One alternative to allowing just anyone to replace a cache is to allow people to call you when they are searching for your cache and cannot find it. You could then describe to them exactly where it was hidden and if they then could not find it, it might be acceptable to allow them to replace it for you. Otherwise if you are not able to maintain the caches that you have placed it is best to archive them and let someone else have a go at the location.

            --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
            |+| Georgetown , TX USA

            If a cache is rated 2 difficulty or higher, usually the hide could be well cammoed or hidden better than in plain sight. What if somebody replaces your hide in a different place you had originally hid the cache? What if they can't find it and now they replace with a new container and both containers are there now? It's usually best if the owner replaces the hide or a previous finder who knows the exact location.

            Matthew

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni" <tfbrown@...> wrote:

            > For any of you who have some of my caches on your list to do this month, a
            hint to the wise would be to take a replacement cache. Most of the ones you may want to pick of mine for the 31 days of August may be the easy peasy ones. As some of you may know, my caches have been disappearing at an alarming rate. If it was just a matter of, "Well, got to replace another one" for me then I wouldn't care; no big deal. However, I feel bad for the geocaching community who is taking the time to solve a puzzle or just find an easy cache for the day and it's not there. For your trouble, feel free to claim an extra smiley if you wish for your troubles.

            > TattooBarbie

          • Toni
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2013
              I clearly stated that if it's a puzzle you solved and, therefore, have the correct coordinates or it's an easy cache, feel free to replace it. I'm fine with that. If you don't want to, then don't. You can't miss the exact location on a lamppost. Once August is over and we're not doing the cache a day I'm probably going to archive my south Austin caches anyway as they go missing. I do not think that 3-4 caches going missing every week in just my south Austin caches is a coincidence.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

              > If a cache is rated 2 difficulty or higher, usually the hide could be well cammoed or hidden better than in plain sight. What if somebody replaces your hide in a different place you had originally hid the cache? What if they can't find it and now they replace with a new container and both containers are there now? It's usually best if the owner replaces the hide or a previous finder who knows the exact location.
              >
              > Matthew
              >
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni" <tfbrown@> wrote:
              > >
              > > For any of you who have some of my caches on your list to do this month, a hint to the wise would be to take a replacement cache. Most of the ones you may want to pick of mine for the 31 days of August may be the easy peasy ones. As some of you may know, my caches have been disappearing at an alarming rate. If it was just a matter of, "Well, got to replace another one" for me then I wouldn't care; no big deal. However, I feel bad for the geocaching community who is taking the time to solve a puzzle or just find an easy cache for the day and it's not there. For your trouble, feel free to claim an extra smiley if you wish for your troubles.
              > >
              > > TattooBarbie

            • Toni
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 7, 2013
                I will be archiving my caches once the cache a day in August is over. I was maintaining them, but with the disappearance of south Austin caches happening at 3-4 a week it's just not feasible anymore. I would rather open up the spots for others. I'm trying to be helpful here, but I should have known better than to do that in this forum. Bye

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                > I have to agree with Matthew, asking/allowing just anyone to replace a cache
                > just because they could not find it is a recipe for disaster. Often the
                > result is that you end up with two containers within a few feet of each
                > other. Personally I would include caches that are rated at 1.5 difficulty in
                > the group that should not be just willy-nilly replaced, I have found many
                > that were rated this easy that were more difficult to find than some that
                > were rated more difficult. One alternative to allowing just anyone to
                > replace a cache is to allow people to call you when they are searching for
                > your cache and cannot find it. You could then describe to them exactly where
                > it was hidden and if they then could not find it, it might be acceptable to
                > allow them to replace it for you. Otherwise if you are not able to maintain
                > the caches that you have placed it is best to archive them and let someone
                > else have a go at the location.
                >

                > --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
                > |+| Georgetown, TX USA
                > |-- "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."
                >

                > _____

              • GrnBeret2B
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7, 2013
                  Toni, announcing open game for anyone to replace any of your caches opens a bag of worms that I know a number of cache hiders in the Austin area don't want to see opened.  YOU, specifically, may not care if people replace YOUR caches if they are missing, but there are cache hiders who have caches with 3 and 4 star difficulty ratings and the caches have those ratings for a reason.  You and I both know that newer cachers don't check the difficulty ratings.  Since we have new cachers not checking difficulty ratings, and a cache owner who has announced open game on their caches to be replaced, we all of a sudden have a bunch of new cachers that could get confused and think it's OK for any cache to be replaced (not saying this is your intention, but I have seen this in the past).  All of a sudden cleverly difficult and evil hides become simple hides.

                  As an example, ACCLanMan and I own a cache that gives cachers difficulty because we like to make people think about the hides.  At one point, we noticed that the number of DNFs from new cachers went down, and finds went way up, we got a bit curious and, at about that time, an experienced cacher posted a log saying that they had found the log in a bag and put it in a plastic tube.  We knew immediately what happened, went out there and removed the "replacement cache" that had been placed under the nearby lampskirt.  Since that day in May, there was 1 find, followed by a string of 5 DNFs (spread through the next 2 months) after which we went back and checked, and the nano was exactly where we left it.  Point is, if cachers had gotten used to replacing other caches willy nilly, we'd be making regular trips to that one cache to keep pulling throwdowns out from underneath the lampskirt, and that's not something I think anyone here would want to do!

                  You're posting a list of caches here that people shouldn't go for while trying to keep their streak alive because the caches are missing, but, from what I understand, not disabling them on GC.com.  What about cachers that haven't made it to this group who make the trip to find one of the caches you've listed here?  A lot of new cachers aren't reading cache pages or recent logs, I've heard a lot of discussions about that at events lately, so they aren't going to know.  It's, honestly, a discourtesy to the general caching community for a cache owner to know that a cache is missing and not disable the listing until you get a chance to replace it.

                  You say that you want to open the spots up for others, why not archive the caches now, let other people in the area hide new ones, and you may have a few pop up closer to you than others you'd picked for your cache a day, making it even easier for you to maintain your streak!

                  In fact, I think that's what Bigguy is up to, I'm getting a LOT of archival notifications from her caches

                  Nathaniel
                  Grn Beret 2B

                • semperquestio
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2013
                    Very good post, Nathaniel.

                    I'm a big believer that every cache has a life span and NO cache should be replaced by anyone other than the CO unless the CO has been contacted about that specific cache to be sure it is replaced in the correct manner with an appropriate container size and type.

                    Also, if a CO believes their cache may be missing, they owe it to the caching community to disable it immediately until the can check on it and take action on it. If the CO knows it is missing, they should immediately either disable it if they plan on fixing it or archive it.

                    Maintaining caches is a big part of being a CO and it should be taken far more seriously that it is.

                    {/soapbox}

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, GrnBeret2B <grn.beret.2b@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > the group that should not be just willy-nilly replaced, I have found many
                    > > > that were rated this easy that were more difficult to find than some that
                    > > > were rated more difficult. One alternative to allowing just anyone to
                    > > > replace a cache is to allow people to call you when they are searching
                    > > for
                    > > > your cache and cannot find it. You could then describe to them exactly
                    > > where
                    > > > it was hidden and if they then could not find it, it might be acceptable
                    > > > allow them to replace it for you. Otherwise if you are not able to
                    > > maintain
                    > > > the caches that you have placed it is best to archive them and let
                    > > someone
                    > > > else have a go at the location.
                    > > >

                    > > > --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
                    > > > |-- "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."

                  • Matthew A
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
                      I agree with Grn Beret 2B, Bing-GTX, semperquestio about replacing hides. I don't want just anybody who can't find a hide to replace it without contacting me first. Many others who have worked hard at creating their hide would not want anybody to replace simply because they can't find it.

                      Toni, your respond to a simple lamp post hide is not always true. I have seen several that appear to be a lamp post hide, but it is only a decoy.

                      Matthew

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni" <tfbrown@...> wrote:

                      > For any of you who have some of my caches on your list to do this month, a hint to the wise would be to take a replacement cache. Most of the ones you may want to pick of mine for the 31 days of August may be the easy peasy ones. As some of you may know, my caches have been disappearing at an alarming rate. If it was just a matter of, "Well, got to replace another one" for me then I wouldn't care; no big deal. However, I feel bad for the geocaching community who is taking the time to solve a puzzle or just find an easy cache for the day and it's not there. For your trouble, feel free to claim an extra smiley if you wish for your troubles.
                      >
                      > TattooBarbie

                    • Matthew A
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
                        PS: Simply because there is a challenge or streak going on in August or any month should not change how this great and wonderful game is played.

                        Matthew

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni" <tfbrown@...> wrote:

                        > For any of you who have some of my caches on your list to do this month, a hint to the wise would be to take a replacement cache. Most of the ones you may want to pick of mine for the 31 days of August may be the easy peasy ones. As some of you may know, my caches have been disappearing at an alarming rate. If it was just a matter of, "Well, got to replace another one" for me then I wouldn't care; no big deal. However, I feel bad for the geocaching community who is taking the time to solve a puzzle or just find an easy cache for the day and it's not there. For your trouble, feel free to claim an extra smiley if you wish for your troubles.
                        >
                        > TattooBarbie

                      • cybercat
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
                          Geez Matthew,  it seems pretty clear to me that some people don't want their hides replaced but Toni is OK with  it.  If she wants to do it that way that's her business.

                          PS: Simply because there is a challenge or streak going on in August or any month should not change how this great and wonderful game is played.

                          Matthew

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni" <tfbrown@...> wrote:

                          > For any of you who have some of my caches on your list to do this month, a hint to the wise would be to take a replacement cache. Most of the ones you may want to pick of mine for the 31 days of August may be the easy peasy ones. As some of you may know, my caches have been disappearing at an alarming rate. If it was just a matter of, "Well, got to replace another one" for me then I wouldn't care; no big deal. However, I feel bad for the geocaching community who is taking the time to solve a puzzle or just find an easy cache for the day and it's not there. For your trouble, feel free to claim an extra smiley if you wish for your troubles.
                          >
                          > TattooBarbie

                        • Toni
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
                            And stealing my caches just because I'm on someone's hit list is how we place this great and wonderful game???? I'm not being lazy Matthew. Unbeknownst to you, and perhaps others, I've been archiving, replacing and re-replacing cache after cache in south Austin for a couple of months now. I just wanted to warn people that if they are doing the streak and have one of mine picked out for the day, they may want to take a replacement or otherwise have more than one on their list. I've only listed here the ones I know about so far for the week. The majority of my caches aren't in south Austin, but those are the ones disappearing, 3-4 every week over and over again. One or two a month in an urban setting is not unreasonable, this is out of hand.

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

                            > PS: Simply because there is a challenge or streak going on in August or any month should not change how this great and wonderful game is played.
                            >
                            > Matthew
                            >
                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni" <tfbrown@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > For any of you who have some of my caches on your list to do this month, a hint to the wise would be to take a replacement cache. Most of the ones you may want to pick of mine for the 31 days of August may be the easy peasy ones. As some of you may know, my caches have been disappearing at an alarming rate. If it was just a matter of, "Well, got to replace another one" for me then I wouldn't care; no big deal. However, I feel bad for the geocaching community who is taking the time to solve a puzzle or just find an easy cache for the day and it's not there. For your trouble, feel free to claim an extra smiley if you wish for your troubles.
                            > >
                            > > TattooBarbie

                          • Matthew A
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
                              Cybercat. That is not Okay to let everybody get in the habit of replacing anything they can't find. Where does it stop?

                              Toni, I don't hear much about the happenings like I had before. I am busy with boy scout and school things again. I have no idea if anybody is or is not removing your hides. If people are set on only looking for one specific cache hide to fulfill their streak, then that's their poor planning. They should always have more than one to find in-case they can't find the first one.

                              Matthew

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, cybercat <cybercat@...> wrote:

                              > Geez Matthew,  it seems pretty clear to me that some people don't want their hides replaced but Toni is OK with  it.  If she wants to do it that way that's her business.
                              >

                              > Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

                            • Jana Fite
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
                                On 8/8/2013 3:50 PM, Matthew A wrote:

                                It is ok if the owner says it is ok.

                                Cybercat. That is not Okay to let everybody get in the habit of replacing anything they can't find. Where does it stop?

                                Toni, I don't hear much about the happenings like I had before. I am busy with boy scout and school things again. I have no idea if anybody is or is not removing your hides. If people are set on only looking for one specific cache hide to fulfill their streak, then that's their poor planning. They should always have more than one to find in-case they can't find the first one.

                                Matthew

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, cybercat <cybercat@...> wrote:

                                > Geez Matthew,  it seems pretty clear to me that some people don't want their hides replaced but Toni is OK with  it.  If she wants to do it that way that's her business.
                                >

                                > Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

                              • semperquestio
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
                                  I gotta side with Matthew on this.

                                  Even if a CO says it is OK, it still sets a bad precedent, mainly in regards to new players. How many will consider the difference between CO permission or just assuming that since one CO said it is OK, then it must be the norm? I've seen it happen time and time again.

                                  I put caches of questionable status on a bookmark list and get the logs on them when anything happens. I'm mainly watching for CO's fixing, disabling, or archiving these caches; COs saying all is well; or someone coming along and finding them, confirming that they are still in play. But recently I've seen a few caches every week being "replaced" by someone when they admittedly simply could not find them and taking credit for the find to boot.

                                  Now, if someone wants to pad their finds this way, that's their business. But when someone takes it upon themselves to replace a cache without contacting the CO first, that (in my opinion) is just wrong for several reasons. Most of which have already been mentioned.

                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jana Fite <cybercat@...> wrote:

                                  > On 8/8/2013 3:50 PM, Matthew A wrote:
                                  >
                                  > It is ok if the owner says it is ok.
                                  >

                                  > > Cybercat. That is not Okay to let everybody get in the habit of
                                  > > replacing anything they can't find. Where does it stop?
                                  > >
                                  > > Toni, I don't hear much about the happenings like I had before. I am
                                  > > busy with boy scout and school things again. I have no idea if anybody
                                  > > is or is not removing your hides. If people are set on only looking
                                  > > for one specific cache hide to fulfill their streak, then that's their
                                  > > poor planning. They should always have more than one to find in-case
                                  > > they can't find the first one.
                                  > >
                                  > > Matthew
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > <mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers%40yahoogroups.com>, cybercat
                                  > > <cybercat@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Geez Matthew, Â it seems pretty clear to me that some people don't
                                  > > want their hides replaced but Toni is OK with  it.  If she wants to
                                  > > do it that way that's her business.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

                                • Steve Fite
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013

                                    This thread is getting on my nerves now.  I gotta side with Jana on this one.  If the CO says it’s ok then as far as I care it’s ok.  Period.  I’m sure you understand.  The cache belongs to the CO so the CO gets to call the shots.  That’s the way I see it.