Geocaching Extravaganza "Post Mortem"

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2003
      I want to tell you folks what a fantastic place the Sid Richardson
      Scout Ranch is, and what a GREAT geocaching opportunity you missed if
      you didn't attend the 2003 Texas State Geocaching Extravaganza.

      With its thousands of acres, SR2 offers every kind of terrain and
      vista you can imagine. Rock and cactus-strewn pastures and hillsides.
      Oak forests and tree-covered hills leading to the lake. Lovely
      beaches and peninsulas where you can enjoy the waters of Lake
      Bridgeport. Toss in the singular experience of tramping around a
      working cattle ranch and viewing working oil wells around every turn.
      Wildlife abounds - I saw deer, a coyote, turkey, armadillo, and birds
      everywhere from songbirds to waterbirds to hawk and buzzards. This is
      truly one of the most memorable places I can recall.

      You could camp, rent a VERY nice, fully equipped cabin, or stay in a
      dorm. Food was provided, or you could bring your own. Up to 24
      geocaching finds were available over the two-day event. They ranged
      from very easy to very tricky, both in difficulty and terrain
      ratings. The opportunity was available to try orienteering if you'd
      never done it, or compete if you had; and the "hybrid" orienteering
      and GPS courses brought RAVE reviews, both for ingenuity and
      challenge. I met scouts, leaders, orienteers, and geocachers from all
      around Texas, and up into Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri. In short, I
      had a wonderful time!! I hope you'll take the time to read some of
      the logs to see what you missed.

      Web-ling worked his skinny little FANNY off to make this a great
      geocaching event. Even with the low geocacher registration he managed
      to get a lot of nice prizes, and the 20 traditional geocaches were
      GREAT. I'm disappointed for him that more folks didn't show up. I
      think the ones that did would tell you that they will be back. Of
      course, there were glitches, because this was the first year for
      combining the geocaching with the orienteering meet; that is to be
      expected. I'm sure this will become a much-anticipated yearly event.
      So mark your calendars NOW for the last weekend of March 2004; the
      Geocaching Extravaganza is already set to coincide with the Scout
      Orienteering Meet again next year. You'll be sorry if you miss it!

      Happy Trails,
      Candy