RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Quick note about the Texas 50 State Star series

  • Jay Bingham
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2013

      I grew up in a very small town so I think that I understand the mentality of folks in rural areas, many of them live out there because they like the solitude and what it to stay that way. Many feel that city folks just don’t appreciate what they have out there and to some extent they are probably right.

      A little over 15 years ago over in the Crocket National Forest I was involved a similar incident which of course was not related to Geocaching. I was with a group of Boy Scouts and leaders on a hiking trail over there. Along the trail we were hiking there is a section that runs parallel to the border of the forest about 20 feet from the border. There is a house adjacent to the National Forest boundary here, at this house lived a couple of yappy little dogs. As we passed by them the first time we pretty much ignored them because they pretty much stayed on their side of the property line. Unfortunately we had to pass by them again to return to where we parked our vehicles. When we came by the second time the home owner came out and wanted to know what we were doing there and of course his dogs came with him and acted like they would like to nip at us. We told him that we were hiking in the National Forest, however he was not happy that we were hiking near his property and bothering his dogs and invited us not to come back to hike there again. We of course never did, but I am sure that others have. And I had the feeling from what he said that it was not the first time that city folk had intruded into his neighborhood. I felt a little sorry for him because he was probably there before the trail was built and if he wasn’t then he should have known it was there before he bought the property, either way, he was fighting a loosing battle I fear. I thought that it would not have been difficult for the forest service to put the trail a couple of hundred feet away from the property line just to avoid this fellow and his guard dogs, but apparently they did not see it that way.

      I agree with Barb that it is best to avoid placing caches near homes in rural areas; you never know how cantankerous some of those folks may be and why ruffle feathers when you don’t need to.

      Another thing that gets rural folks upset is geocachers parking on the road or not fully off the road or in their driveways when they stop to search for a cache, so when placing a rural cache always be sure that there is a good, safe place to park nearby that is not is somebody’s way. If there is not one then say so in the cache description and find a place where safe parking is available and include that in your cache description along with the coordinates. Then make sure the cache is worth the extra effort needed to get it.

      --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

      From: Rachele DiTullio <strontium87@...>
      To: "CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com" <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 20:28:57 -0500

      Agreed, Barb. I think the best action might be to move the five hides along this stretch of road. (We did find one left.) They are within sight of two homes and I think you're right about the residents getting nervous about random folks. I'd probably be too. There are plenty of barren spots that could be utilized.

      -Rachele/strontium87

      Stand With Our President
      Show your support for raising the minimum wage. Sign the petition!
      democraticgovernors.org

    • Jay Bingham
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013

        I read an article in today’s Deseret News (Salt Lake City, Utah) titled: Rural death: New study shows cities are safer than the country that I found to be interesting in relation to the recent discussion on this mailing list about Geocaching in rural areas.

        The article does not mention Geocaching as being a contributor to rural deaths (whew), but does mention that a significant portion of the difference in rural deaths compared to urban deaths involve highway accidents.

        Any way, I thought that it was an interesting side note to the discussion about rural caching, and hope that some of you enjoy reading it. I also hope that none of us will be contributors to the statistics by caching unsafely in rural areas.

        --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
        |+| Georgetown , TX USA

      • Shawn Olsen
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
          Great points Jay and worth listening to the last thing we need is to supply the stats with Central Texas Cachers!

          I have often passed up caches that just didn't sit right with me either by cache placement or the proximity of safe parking!!

          Cheers,

          S6sputnik/Shawn

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
            "Good heavens!" I cried. "Who would associate crime with these dear old homesteads?"
            "They always fill me with a certain horror. It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside."
            "You horrify me!"
            "But the reason is very obvious. The pressure of public opinion can do in the town what the law cannot accomplish. There is no lane so vile that the scream of a tortured child, or the thud of a drunkard's blow, does not beget sympathy and indignation among the neighbours, and then the whole machinery of justice is ever so close that a word of complaint can set it going, and there is but a step between the crime and the dock. But look at these lonely houses, each in its own fields, filled for the most part with poor ignorant folk who know little of the law. Think of the deeds of hellish cruelty, the hidden wickedness which may go on, year in, year out, in such places, and none the wiser."
            The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)
            Sherlock Holmes in "The Copper Beeches" (Doubleday p. 323)

            I read an article in today’s Deseret News (Salt Lake City, Utah) titled: Rural death: New study shows cities are safer than the country that I found to be interesting in relation to the recent discussion on this mailing list about Geocaching in rural areas.

            The article does not mention Geocaching as being a contributor to rural deaths (whew), but does mention that a significant portion of the difference in rural deaths compared to urban deaths involve highway accidents.

            Any way, I thought that it was an interesting side note to the discussion about rural caching, and hope that some of you enjoy reading it. I also hope that none of us will be contributors to the statistics by caching unsafely in rural areas.

            --| Jay /\\ Bing-GTX
            |+| Georgetown, TX USA

            One Weird Trick
            Could add $1,000s to Your Social Security Checks! See if you Qualify…
            newsmax.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
              Not to say, as sticks born and raised myself, the countryside is really so vile.
              In fact, it's living in the sticks that has caused me to have no notion of 'privacy.' You sneeze getting out of bed in the morning, and by the time you're at work folks are asking how the cold is.
              But it does have its moments.
              And folks often live out there because they're not real fond of people.
              [We're all somewhat suspicous of strangers.]
              -BarbJ/Tygress

              I read an article in today’s Deseret News (Salt Lake City, Utah) titled: Rural death: New study shows cities are safer than the country that I found to be interesting in relation to the recent discussion on this mailing list about Geocaching in rural areas.

              The article does not mention Geocaching as being a contributor to rural deaths (whew), but does mention that a significant portion of the difference in rural deaths compared to urban deaths involve highway accidents.

              Any way, I thought that it was an interesting side note to the discussion about rural caching, and hope that some of you enjoy reading it. I also hope that none of us will be contributors to the statistics by caching unsafely in rural areas.

              --| Jay /\\\\ Bing-GTX
              |+| Georgetown, TX USA

              One Weird Trick
              Could add $1,000s to Your Social Security Checks! See if you Qualify&#8230
              newsmax.com
            • danny_c_champion
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 10, 2013
                Since I am ready to head up to the 50 Stars, I thought I would chime in on the discussion.

                I have been stopped several times over the years and asked what I was doing. It was never a problem until I moved to central Texas. I was even stopped by the border patrol in southern New Mexico - about a mile from Mexico (imagine four guys with backpack tromping through the desert for no apparent reason). A smile, a pleasant attitude, and an explanation was all that was ever needed to defuse a tense situation.

                Shortly after I moved here, I was in the Elgin area and had a run-in with a lady who claimed I was trespassing. I tried the smile/nice attitude/good manners/explain about geocaching routine and she would have none of it. I provided her with my name, car tag, kept my hands where she could see them and obeyed everything she asked of me. Before it was over, she called the police and she followed me most of the way home.

                As a non-Texan, I assume that everyone who stops me on a rural road is carrying a weapon, so I felt it was to everyone's benefit for me to just leave. Still, I doubt that I will be geocaching in the Elgin area anytime soon.

                Danny (Racer57)