RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Finding A Cache Every Day for XX days in a row

  • Jay Bingham
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1 7:28 PM

      Matt,

      Your message reminded me of a poem I read when I was just a lad. Here it is:

      My Food Grows Colder

      Please don’t get up, she said to me

      While pausing at my table

      But I got up so she could see

      I'm courteous and able

      She little knew that when I sup

      Good manners I am blind to

      For ‘till she said, Please don't get up

      It hadn't crossed my mind to.

      --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2 5:25 AM
        cute, Jay.
        Sounds Ogden Nashy?

        As for streaks, well, folks gonna do what they gonna do.
        You can only worry about your own and not compete with anyone but yourself.

        Barb =y'all have fun, I'm not gonna fash myself= Tygress
        (Speaking of fun -- Waterweasel is in a Melodrama out at Way Off Broadway.... there are FOUR -- no, wait, FIVE -- caches across the way in Bagdad Cemetery.... only two more weekends to catch WW, though. www.wobcp.org)

        Your message reminded me of a poem I read when I was just a lad. Here it is:

        My Food Grows Colder

        Please don’t get up, she said to me

        While pausing at my table

        But I got up so she could see

        I'm courteous and able

        She little knew that when I sup

        Good manners I am blind to

        For ‘till she said, Please don't get up

        It hadn't crossed my mind to.

        --| Jay /\\ Bing-GTX
        |+| Georgetown, TX USA

        Sure, it counts, Matt. There is no rule against it and there is nothing preventing it or policing it. Now, if it is right or wrong, well, that's more of a personal judgement call. Everybody has to live with their own decisions. Just like logging throw-downs as finds, claiming a find just for getting to GZ, and all the other ways some folks manage to, shall we say, "cook the books". Expecting global adherence to the "spirit of geocaching" (a popular if somewhat nebulous term used heavily in the forums) went out the window a long time ago.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

        > The spirit of challenges and streaks usually consist of finding a geocache each day for a specific number of days in a row.
        >
        > Like the August 2013 challenge from Geocaching.com to get souvenirs.
        >
        > Pre signing caches and logging them another day does NOT count. Finding several in one day and then claiming one of them for a day you can't make a real find doesn't count either.
        >
        > Matthew mda_taz

        30-second trick for a flat belly
        TheFatBurningHormone.com
      • Jay Bingham
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2 5:45 AM

          Barb,

          Glad you appreciated it. Being the poetess that you are I thought you might when I replied with it.

          As to its author, that is who I remember it being attributed to, but when I tried to find it on the internet to verify that I remembered it correctly and verify the author, I did not have much luck. I found three news papers that it was published in, in the newspaper archive for 21 Feb 1965 (which is about right for when I would have read it), but the image of the page never came up on the site and the OCR output for the page was pretty chopped up. The name “Ogden Nash” was not in that output.

          --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
          |+| Georgetown , TX USA

          Your message reminded me of a poem I read when I was just a lad. Here it is:

          My Food Grows Colder

          Please don’t get up, she said to me

          While pausing at my table

          But I got up so she could see

          I'm courteous and able

          She little knew that when I sup

          Good manners I am blind to

          For ‘till she said, Please don't get up

          It hadn't crossed my mind to.

          --| Jay /\\ Bing-GTX
          |+| Georgetown , TX USA

          Sure, it counts, Matt. There is no rule against it and there is nothing preventing it or policing it. Now, if it is right or wrong, well, that's more of a personal judgement call. Everybody has to live with their own decisions. Just like logging throw-downs as finds, claiming a find just for getting to GZ, and all the other ways some folks manage to, shall we say, "cook the books". Expecting global adherence to the "spirit of geocaching" (a popular if somewhat nebulous term used heavily in the forums) went out the window a long time ago.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

          > The spirit of challenges and streaks usually consist of finding a geocache
          each day for a specific number of days in a row.

          > Like the August 2013 challenge from Geocaching.com to get souvenirs.
          >
          > Pre signing caches and logging them another day does NOT count. Finding
          several in one day and then claiming one of them for a day you can't make a real find doesn't count either.

          > Matthew mda_taz

          30-second trick for a flat belly
          TheFatBurningHormone.com

        • Esther Lopez
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2 6:35 AM
            Well, let's see.... I missed the Get Outdoors Day souvenir (in the Valley for a funeral) and I missed yesterday (family muggle issue) and to add insult to injury, there is NO souvenir for Mexico where I have cached. I am already behind so I won't be sweating the streak issue. Instead, I think I will concentrate on cache maintenance (lots of that!) so that everyone else can play.

            Good luck, everyone!
            Esther/BGTx

            Your message reminded me of a poem I read when I was just a lad. Here it is:

            My Food Grows Colder
            Please don’t get up, she said to me
            While pausing at my table
            But I got up so she could see
            I'm courteous and able
            She little knew that when I sup
            Good manners I am blind to
            For ‘till she said, Please don't get up
            It hadn't crossed my mind to.

            --| Jay /\\ Bing-GTX
            |+| Georgetown, TX USA

            Sure, it counts, Matt. There is no rule against it and there is nothing preventing it or policing it. Now, if it is right or wrong, well, that's more of a personal judgement call. Everybody has to live with their own decisions. Just like logging throw-downs as finds, claiming a find just for getting to GZ, and all the other ways some folks manage to, shall we say, "cook the books". Expecting global adherence to the "spirit of geocaching" (a popular if somewhat nebulous term used heavily in the forums) went out the window a long time ago.

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

            > The spirit of challenges and streaks usually consist of finding a geocache each day for a specific number of days in a row.
            >
            > Like the August 2013 challenge from Geocaching.com to get souvenirs.
            >
            > Pre signing caches and logging them another day does NOT count. Finding several in one day and then claiming one of them for a day you can't make a real find doesn't count either.
            >
            > Matthew mda_taz

            30-second trick for a flat belly
            TheFatBurningHormone.com

          • Rachele DiTullio
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2 6:42 AM
              The attribution I found was to another American poet, Richard Armour.

              -strontium87
            • Jay Bingham
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2 8:20 AM

                Thanks

                --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2 8:23 AM
                • 1 Attachment
                • 726 KB
                well then, here's a special souvenir all your own.
                =GRINS!=
                BarbJ - because I CAN - Tygress

                Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2 8:26 AM
                  Armour & Nash are from the same fabric mill.
                  Thanks!
                  -B/Tygress

                  Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2 8:44 AM

                    Yup, they had a similar style, the bio on Armour at http://allpoetry.com/Richard_Willard_Armour says:

                    Armour wrote funny poems in a style reminiscent of Ogden Nash. These poems were often featured in newspaper Sunday supplements, a feature called Armour's Armory. Many of Armour's poems have been repeatedly and incorrectly attributed to Nash.

                    Although they lived on opposite coasts of the country, their lives overlapped. Nash was born in 1902 in Rye , New York and died in 1971 in Baltimore , Maryland . Armour was born in 1906 in San Pedro , California and died in 1989 in Claremont , California .

                    Both of them are among my favorite poets. Although neither of them seem to have been quite as prolific as our own Tygress.

                    --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                    Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2 9:12 AM
                      Esther you are a Saint!

                      Shawn/ S6sputnik

                      Message 11 of 15 , Aug 2 10:22 AM
                        Tygress, I value THIS souvenir above all others because it is from you and oh, so cute!!!!
                        Thanks,
                        a grateful Bigguy!

                        Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2 10:34 AM

                          From: Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@...>
                          To: "CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com" <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
                          Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 10:22:21 -0700 (PDT)

                          Message 13 of 15 , Aug 2 12:22 PM
                            Be grateful, because we DNF'd one of your caches today. So have fun with maintenance in August! :-)

                            By the way, ignore the log, I went back and edited it to say what we really found and didn't find.

                            --Di
                            dirich92