Geocoin protocol

  • Mike Detlefsen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2013
      I have several traveling geocoins I'm about to set free. I haven't done this before, so am a bit unsure about protocol. Is it considered cheating to put a piece of paper with the coin to indicate the general country of the destination? Or should they be left with no info at all? This is starting at a site that already has 34 trackables in it at present. Should I pick another cache to start it out from that has less competition?

      Thanks.

      Mike
      jmd65
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2013
        If you have a particular mission, by all means, include it with the coin. It's a favor to those who pick it up.
        Coins with no mission go wherever. And kind of annoy those of us who pick them up and then move them contrary to the mission because we didn't know. (No, I'm NOT going to look your TB up out in the field.)

        Also, when there is a mission attached, there's a LITTLE less chance of them being "mistaken" for swag. Though be prepared to have them go missing. Never send out anything you're not prepared to 'lose.'
        That said, I've got some that keep going and going, and others that didn't survive the first handoff.

        Oh, and if you mission has something like 'write about your favorite cache!' or 'take a picture with...!' be prepared to have only about 1 in 10 follow through on it. =shrug= But any log and any miles are good miles!

        As for where to start it... anywhere big enough. One among many means they may sit a little longer -- but people go specifically to travel bug hotels to swap TBs.

        Have fun!

        BarbJ/Tygress

        I have several traveling geocoins I'm about to set free. I haven't done this before, so am a bit unsure about protocol. Is it considered cheating to put a piece of paper with the coin to indicate the general country of the destination? Or should they be left with no info at all? This is starting at a site that already has 34 trackables in it at present. Should I pick another cache to start it out from that has less competition?

        Thanks.

        Mike
        jmd65

        <*> Your email settings: