Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Spider identity?

  • Christa Ratcliff
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
      Oops!  Sorry, Waterweasel, I missed the post where Victor actually identified the spider.  So, Victor is  the winner of this weeks spider identification!

      Thanks for all the contributions. I am really fascinated by this spider even though I am an arachnophobe.

      Christa

      On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Victor Engel <brillig@...> wrote:

      The most amazing spider web I've ever seen was next to the Pan
      American Highway in the department of Huehuetenango, Guatemala. There
      were dozens or maybe hundreds of spiders in the same web. Unlike most
      communal webs, this was an orb web. Each spider had its own orb about
      three feet across. They connected to each other end to end so that
      they tiled a plane that connected the power line to the ground. The
      webs in each orb were the typical transparent color. The support lines
      the individual orbs were built on were thick, yellow lines.

      Victor